Disaster at Rangoon- advice needed

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

verdugo94

Disaster at Rangoon- advice needed

Post by verdugo94 »

Hello guys,

I have taken Rangoon on my pbem game, after a week of fights and a month of bombing daily the city it was mine last turn. I was happy till I saw the damage to it´s industry, everything(resources, refineries and LI) except manpower was down to 0. I don´t know if that kind of things happen sometimes or if it´s a bug because the odds were high( 8 to 1) as it is stated in the tech support or just bad luck.

The fact is that I have and I will have a problem with the supply in the region because nothing is producing it right now. I have making numbers and if I am not wrong repairing each industry point cost 1000 supply, so repairing for example the LI it´s only worthy if I hold the city for more than 1040 days! and of course I will have to send tf´s with resources from Singapur.

Apart from that another problem will be the fuel, Magwe produces oil and fuel but I wont think that the fuel is enough to operate in the region and send some to mainland.

I am a bit dissapointed with my bad luck on this because I was counting with Rangoon fairly intact, I moved the 3Air Division and bombard it to have the engineers supressed but this is a disaster..

I would need some advice abouth what to do if possible.

Thanks you very much.
Aurorus

RE: Disaster at Rangoon- advice needed

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: verdugo94

Hello guys,

I have taken Rangoon on my pbem game, after a week of fights and a month of bombing daily the city it was mine last turn. I was happy till I saw the damage to it´s industry, everything(resources, refineries and LI) except manpower was down to 0. I don´t know if that kind of things happen sometimes or if it´s a bug because the odds were high( 8 to 1) as it is stated in the tech support or just bad luck.

The fact is that I have and I will have a problem with the supply in the region because nothing is producing it right now. I have making numbers and if I am not wrong repairing each industry point cost 1000 supply, so repairing for example the LI it´s only worthy if I hold the city for more than 1040 days! and of course I will have to send tf´s with resources from Singapur.

Apart from that another problem will be the fuel, Magwe produces oil and fuel but I wont think that the fuel is enough to operate in the region and send some to mainland.

I am a bit dissapointed with my bad luck on this because I was counting with Rangoon fairly intact, I moved the 3Air Division and bombard it to have the engineers supressed but this is a disaster..

Thanks you very much.

I am curious, how many engineers were present and how many were "disabled" and "destroyed" either by air or in the battle? I have long wondered if disabled engineers squads add to the probability of infrastructure destruction upon base capture.

As to repairing the base, I would not bother repairing anything. You may be in Rangoon for only a year, and that is a hefty cost to have a little supply generation closer to the front. If you need more refineries, you are probably better off repairing those at Miri, because it will be in your hands longer than Rangoon in most games.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

After retaking Rangoon all you have to do to supply the entire theater is ship in massive quantities of supply from the East Coast via Cape Town.

No brainer.

ps. in the future you might want to clarify which side you are playing when seeking help.
Hans

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

After retaking Rangoon all you have to do to supply the entire theater is ship in massive quantities of supply from the East Coast via Cape Town.

No brainer.

ps. in the future you might want to clarify which side you are playing when seeking help.

He's playing me. He's pretty new, and English is not his first language. I know this event at Rangoon, plus our storm of synch bugs, has been a pain for him.

He's Japan.

I think I had a Burma Division, about 70% intact, two British base forces about the same, and an arty unit. I have not seen the replay of the loss of Rangoon (reinstalling due to synchs), but he tells me it was 8-1 odds. I think I had Forts 2. Not sure, but I think a deliberate, not shock, attack.

I've never seen the degree of destruction he describes in a base loss. The loss of all Resources is particularly odd to me.

Edit: I just ran the replay under a reinstalled AE instance. No apparent synch bugs.

I was incorrect. There were three RAF base forces and no arty. 1st Burma Division. Initial AV of Burma Div. was 180. AV of all BFs was zero. Odds ended at 8-1. Adjusted AVs ended at 1980 Japan and 245 Allied. Forts reduced from 2 to 1 before attack. Base fell. All four Allied LCUs retreated toward Prome.
The Moose
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

I think that he must be playing Japan if he is sending resources from Singapore and is worried about oil and the refineries.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: HansBolter

No brainer.

He's playing me. He's pretty new, and English is not his first language. I know this event at Rangoon, plus our storm of synch bugs, has been a pain for him.

He's Japan.

I think I had a Burma Division, about 70% intact, two British base forces about the same, and an arty unit. I have not seen the replay of the loss of Rangoon (reinstalling due to synchs), but he tells me it was 8-1 odds. I think I had Forts 2. Not sure, but I think a deliberate, not shock, attack.

I've never seen the degree of destruction he describes in a base loss. The loss of all Resources is particularly odd to me.

Just curious if the language on his computer display is set to "English" and if a difference in language settings for the Windows display would cause sync bugs. (I don't see how a difference in language settings on the keyboard could cause sync bugs). I have 5 languages installed on my PC and switch between them at times (especially English and Spanish).
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

Just curious if the language on his computer display is set to "English" and if a difference in language settings for the Windows display would cause sync bugs. (I don't see how a difference in language settings on the keyboard could cause sync bugs). I have 5 languages installed on my PC and switch between them at times (especially English and Spanish).

The synch bugs began about five turns ago after everything being fine for five game months. We verified the exact same version. No hardware changes. So we both reinstalled. So far, in the half-turn I've run, it looks OK.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

So I guess the question is, has anyone seen this level of destruction at a base fall? I never have seen so much across all the types.
The Moose
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Yea guys I gleaned which side he is playing and was just being cute.

For a more civil reply: Large battles often result in destroyed installations.

High degree of variability.

Even the supply stockpiles you can capture can vary greatly.

One game I got 800k supply for liberating Shanghai with the Chinese and the next game I got 74k.
Hans

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

How many engineers were present in the 3 BAF base forces and how many were disabled? I have seen this level of destruction in the Ironman scenarios as Japan where the allied AI has a large number of engineers on many bases. I have seen all the Miri oil and refineries destroyed for example. I have also witnessed the same at Soerabaja, if I recall correctly, with everything reduced to 0.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

How many engineers were present in the 3 BAF base forces and how many were disabled? I have seen this level of destruction in the Ironman scenarios as Japan where the allied AI has a large number of engineers on many bases. I have seen all the Miri oil and refineries destroyed for example. I have also witnessed the same at Soerabaja, if I recall correctly, with everything reduced to 0.

I don't have a pre-turn save, but after the retreat from the captured base, total non-disabled engineers in all four LCUs are on the order of six squads, and engineer vehicles about the same. The RAF BFs are pretty small, pre-war types.

I've seen total destruction of Oil at Pbang in an AI game, and I think my Lokasenna game saw Magwe Oil destroyed down to 2. I've just never seen a wipe across all types.
The Moose
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

Sometimes you roll Snake Eyes...
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMonkey

Sometimes you roll Snake Eyes...

That's pretty much what I said to him, but it's a tough beat when you're in your first PBEM.
The Moose
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

Yup. On the other hand, I'd rather see it there than at Palembang, Balikpapan, etc. Burma is a crap shoot as far as resources and oil imo since it rarely makes sense to repair anything. Given how long you expect to be able to harvest from there, 1000 supply per repair isn't likely to get paid back in Burma.

From my perspective, the main reason for taking Burma is to limit supply going to China and buy time for Malaya. The oil and resources are just a bonus. It sucks to get NOTHING from there, but the reason for taking Burma isn't primarily about the resources or oil you gain.

PresterJohn001

Post by PresterJohn001 »

ORIGINAL: verdugo94

Hello guys,

Thanks you very much.

I am curious, how many engineers were present and how many were "disabled" and "destroyed" either by air or in the battle? I have long wondered if disabled engineers squads add to the probability of infrastructure destruction upon base capture.

As to repairing the base, I would not bother repairing anything. You may be in Rangoon for only a year, and that is a hefty cost to have a little supply generation closer to the front. If you need more refineries, you are probably better off repairing those at Miri, because it will be in your hands longer than Rangoon in most games.

Its bad luck, but not the end by a long stretch. The resources here will not win or lose you the war. As Japan you have to roll with the punches, especially in a first game. Good Luck and give Bullwinkle hell!!
memento mori
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I don't have a pre-turn save, but after the retreat from the captured base, total non-disabled engineers in all four LCUs are on the order of six squads, and engineer vehicles about the same. The RAF BFs are pretty small, pre-war types.

I've seen total destruction of Oil at Pbang in an AI game, and I think my Lokasenna game saw Magwe Oil destroyed down to 2. I've just never seen a wipe across all types.
There was a thread recently that discussed the possibility of a bug in the latest version of the game because the "industry reduced to 0" result was happening almost all the time. There are some parts of industry that are supposed to reduce a set amount - Manpower reduces to two if the Allied player captures a base with manpower, and HI is supposed to reduce in half + a random amount damaged dependent on the battle odds and engineers, when either side captures a base. IME, if there is no HI, LI will often reduce in half + random damage. Resources might get damaged but are not supposed to be eliminated.
I'll look on the tech forum for that thread.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

If it is the thread that I think you refer to, it was about the base auto-changing sides. It seems there are some bugs when a base auto-changes.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If it is the thread that I think you refer to, it was about the base auto-changing sides. It seems there are some bugs when a base auto-changes.
That was the one, but it also drifted into what happens when combat takes a base too. Couldn't find it again - it may have been in an AAR.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Disaster is that same thing happening in Palembang.

Rangoon industry and resources are of little value. Its refineries, irrelevant

Just remember to set repair to "NO"
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Disaster is that same thing happening in Palembang.

Rangoon industry and resources are of little value. Its refineries, irrelevant

Just remember to set repair to "NO"
Don't you need Rangoon refineries to use Magwe's oil to make fuel? Sure beats trying to haul in fuel! Of course this assumes operating ships out of The 'goon ... half the game it's too dangerous for either side.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”