OT : Tv to replace pc monitor

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: OT : Tv to replace pc monitor

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: patrickl

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

AFAIK, plasma TVs or monitors are a dead end, technology speaking. I mean all major manufacturers stop production a few years ago, but of course I can be wrong
You are right. I only see LCD and LED TVs in the stores nowadays.
Having had the fluorescent backlight on my LCD TV fail once, at great expense, I recommend going for the LED. What extra cost there is will be recouped in savings on electricity and on less heat emitted - requiring less A/C to counter it.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

AFAIK, plasma TVs or monitors are a dead end, technology speaking. I mean all major manufacturers stop production a few years ago, but of course I can be wrong
Having had the fluorescent backlight on my LCD TV fail once, at great expense, I recommend going for the LED. What extra cost there is will be recouped in savings on electricity and on less heat emitted - requiring less A/C to counter it.
Roger. Got to look out for those LED TVs.[:)]
Banner designed by rogueusmc
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

You may also be able to just use VGA connection if that is what your computer and the TV have, otherwise would need to get an adapter. If you are only playing WItPAE and not flight sims, action type games just about any LCD/LED/PLASMA TV will do. Some cheaper TV's may have color issues but most should be fine. With electronics I tend to stick with name brand's for quality.

All an LCD tv is is a computer monitor with a tuner in it. I have a 55 inch plasma bought several years ago and my kids play action.graphic intense games on it with the play station, no problems. But plasma is warm, can feel the heat from the screen about a foot away.

Refresh rate, it can make a difference for fast action/graphic intense games but won't matter for WITPAE. Aspect ratio may need to try a few different settings to see which works/looks best. The rest should not matter. VGA doesn't have as high a quality picture or resolution (think VCR level) but HDMI or DVI have higher resolutions (Blue ray and DVD level) than WITPAE runs at. If there is an electronics store around, maybe they will let you hook up your laptop to try it out before you buy it.

But would not worry too much, most should be fine.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

With a 4K ultra HD TV, the minimum requirement is HDMI connection. VGA connection is no longer possible. I have retired from playing first person shooter/ simulation games for nearly a decade. Got motion sickness
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

With a 4K ultra HD TV, the minimum requirement is HDMI connection. VGA connection is no longer possible. I have retired from playing first person shooter/ simulation games for nearly a decade. Got motion sickness
Oh, just admit it - you stopped because the young-uns always beat the pants off you![:D]
I watch my grandsons play video games and I have to keep asking them "What just happened?" [8|]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Truly, I played Harry Porter on pc with my daughter 13 years ago and I felt giddy. It did not help that my girl was 9 yo and she kept on asking me to play to get thru those hurdles in the game for her. [8|] I much prefer to play AE and Hearts of Iron 3. [&o] Now she plays FPS with her boyfriend. [&o]
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

I have a 70 inch Sharp tv. I routinely play on it. I just had to make some small adjustments to the x and y command lines. So I now have 2 shortcuts on my computer, one for the laptop screen and the other for the tv.

All in all it took about 30 minutes of experiments. Good luck and enjoy.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

70 inch TV, now that is a monster.[:D] I will be very happy to have a 50 inch. [;)]
Reg

Post by Reg »

I always find it interesting that in these type of discussions, the abbreviations IPS, VA, PLS, AHVA & TN never seem to come up where size and resolution seem to be the overriding factor. [:(].

The technology and quality of the LCD panel is a far more important consideration when choosing the perfect monitor. To be fair, if you are paying for some of the brand name 50/70" monsters above they will be constructed from the upper end panels but they will still have some technology compromises as well.

The primer below won't make you an instant expert but it might give you an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each type.
LCD Panel Types
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

70 inch TV, now that is a monster.[:D] I will be very happy to have a 50 inch. [;)]

Super bowl week sale!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Cute. AC up there in the frozen tundra.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Cute. AC up there in the frozen tundra.[:D]
Typical US stereotyping of Canadian Weather. Yes, the winters in the center of the continent can be brutal - no ocean nearby to moderate the temperatures. But the summers are glorious and mostly bearable in heat and humidity. The longer hours of daylight up here (than you have down south) mean a longer evening to do things outside and the temperature stays moderate (room temp). It helps to have clearer air too ... and a lot fewer hurricanes and tornados. [:)]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Typical US stereotyping of Canadian Weather.

Ah dude, just being facetious.[:'(]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
Typical US stereotyping of Canadian Weather.

Ah dude, just being facetious.[:'(]
Oh good! I was afraid you were being fecesious! [;)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”