Looking for Experienced Japanese Player for DBB-B PDU OFF game[closed]

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

apbarog

Looking for Experienced Japanese Player for DBB-B PDU OFF game[closed]

Post by apbarog »

I'm looking to start a DBB-B Scenario 28 game, with me playing the Allied side. I really enjoyed PDU OFF in my last game, and request PDU OFF for this game. It adds flavor to the game, with lots of variety in the air battles.

I am a very experienced AE player, with most of my games on the Japanese side. In my last game, I played as the Allies against Walker, and fully documented the game in an AAR ("See you in Tokyo Bay"). I will be doing an AAR for this game too, and would prefer an opponent that does an AAR also. I think there is added value for a lot of readers with opposing AARs to read. Also, a player dedicated enough to write an AAR is more likely dedicated enough to play out the entire game.

I can do one turn per day normally. I recognize that real life can interfere with such a lengthy commitment. Good communication is required.

I've listed lots of game settings and possible house rules. Most of the game settings are not negotiable, but most of the house rules are. If we are like-minded on what we want to get out of the game, the house rules will not seem restrictive. By the end of my game with Walker, I couldn't list out the details of the house rules. We both played a gentleman's game and did not take advantage of game engine weaknesses to "win" the game.

First, here's the game setup requested:
Latest AE Official Patch ver. 1.01.24 25 December 2014 (I think)
Latest Beta Patch ver 1126b 09/17/2016 (game version will show 1.8.11.26b Sep 17 2016)
Big Babes_B_AEScen28_V15.zip
Babes and Extended Map Art Hexes 05_12_14.zip
Babes Extended Map Data with SL 05_12_14.zip

These are the game settings requested:
Fog of War - ON
Advanced Weather - ON
Allied Damage Control - ON
PDU - OFF
Historical First Turn - OFF
Dec 7 Surprise - ON
Realistic USN Torps - OFF
Realistic R&D - Your choice
No Unit Withdrawals - OFF
Reinforcements - +/- 60 days
Combat reports - ON
Auto Sub Ops - OFF
TF Move Radius - OFF
Plane Move Radius - OFF
Set all facilities to expand - OFF
Auto Upgrade ships and air - OFF
Accept Air and Ground replacements - OFF
Turn cycle - 1

Here are the house rules that worked in my game against Walker. Most are negotiable:
- PPs paid to change theatres (I'll allow Japanese Thai units to cross into Burma, up to Toungoo or so. Makes garrison easier.
- No strategic bombing until 6/43
- No turn 1 multiple port strikes from carriers or gamey warp invasion, like Mersing, Singkawang, or Ambon.
- No 4e under 10k except USN 4e or 4e float plane types.
- No night bombing. Can discuss why if you want.
- On turn 1, Allies can not form new task forces, but may move existing TFs (like Force Z). Allies won't do much on turn 1, not knowing that the war was about to start. No ground movement. No air unit movement or change of orders. Air units on carriers at sea may change their orders. Nothing will be done that could be construed as knowing that the war was about to begin.
-No tiny paratroop drops to take empty bases.
-Amphibious landings only at bases.

Other house rules that I impose on myself, and I suggest for both sides(if applicable):
I won't set off-map task forces at full speed knowing that they don't use any fuel off-map. I don't know why most people do this, just because they can. The number of days to move off-map from A to B was set up assuming a normal speed.

I don't use single ship task forces to make the strike targeting difficult. I don't throw out small AK's as pickets. If I use small task forces out ahead of something important, they have a military purpose, be it scouting or ASW. But there will be multiple ships, generally more than 2 even.

I limit PT task forces to having 6 or 8 or so PT boats. There generally won't be more than one of these task forces at a base, and I won't flood the surrounding area with them to mess with incoming naval or air strikes. Reasonable use.

I've always kept all sub's reaction range setting on 0. The Japanese were never able to follow shipping over long distances. It can be argued that the Allies were able to, but most of the time, they just radioed reports on to other subs in the target's path. Open to discussion.

I don't use heavy bombers to bomb ground troops. I try to avoid completely destroying supplied ground troops in clear terrain by bombing. Reasonable use of bombers in clear terrain. I do ramp up bombings for invasions, regardless of terrain. Reasonable use, again.

Bottom line for me is that I enjoy playing the game in a manner that doesn't exploit the game engine's weaknesses. The game is never historical, from the very beginning, but I try to keep my actions in the realm of historical possibility when possible.

And I'm always open to discussion and modifications as the game goes on. This game takes up way too much time to not enjoy it. It's all about the journey, not the destination. The Allies will win the war, period. But I may do a poor job as the Allies, and you may do a great job as the Japanese, so for me, that's a win for you, despite that the final result is almost certainly determined. I don't pay much attention to victory points, but I recognize that you may do so, and I will do what is necessary to not "lose" the game this way. I will be playing to fight the war, in a plausible manner.

I will be carefully considering any offers for a game. Being well-known on the forum is a plus but isn't required. Good references can work too. Having done an AAR is a big plus in my book. I'm hoping for a skilled Japanese opponent who is looking for an enjoyable journey through the game.

[edit: I didn't explicitly say so, but this would be using the extended map with stacking limits]
Chickenboy

RE: Looking for Experienced Japanese Player for DBB-B PDU OFF game

Post by Chickenboy »

Very appealing ad, apbarog. I regret that I am unable to respond to it due to inability to commit to a PBEM at this time (as well as reluctance to commit to DBB-B). Best wishes for your match.
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

Thanks Chickenboy. I enjoyed my last DBB-B game. Air combat was reasonable. Flak was improved over stock. All in all I enjoyed the game and prefer DBB over stock. I would consider a DBB-C game with reduced shipping capacity, but I haven't played a "C" game yet. I suspect it would handicap the Japanese as well as the Allies.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

apbarog-

It was interesting reading what you have learned and how you would like to play the game.

Good luck finding a fun and worthy adversary.

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

PDU off is nice, but there are a few things in it that needs changing for Japan:

There needs to be at least one squadron that can fly Norms and Myrt NF.

There needs to be a fix for late war dedicated Japanese kamikazes like the Toka and her sister plane.

Good luck finding a good opponent!
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

There should be a unit to fly Norms if there isn't. No need for night fighters with a house rule of no night bombing though.

It would be nice to have the late dedicated kamikazes, but there's lots of things that would be nice to have. I wouldn't hesitate to play as the Japanese because of such things. If I don't get any offers from Japanese players, I'll offer to play the Japanese side myself, with all of the above mentioned settings and rules.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

I just started a new game. Otherwise, I would be happy to play you. You probably know this, but I will remind you in case you missed it that DBB-B was updated recently. The changes mostly involve China.

Best of luck to you and I will be happy to be reading another of your AARs soon.
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

I see BigBabes_B_AEScen028_V15.zip, dated April 1, 2015, on DaBabesWiTPAE google web site. Is there something more recent somewhere else?
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

There should be an update from earlier this year. See this thread for the relevant information. tm.asp?m=4235002
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

Looks very interesting. It does state that B-Mod is a Stock based mod. So it is not based on DBB-B, from what I'm reading. It looks like a very interesting alternative.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: apbarog

Looks very interesting. It does state that B-Mod is a Stock based mod. So it is not based on DBB-B, from what I'm reading. It looks like a very interesting alternative.

Ahhh... I misread the thread then (happens a lot now that I am getting old and have learned too many languages to read as quickly as I once did). I thought it was an update to DBB-B. Thank you for clarifying.

I am curious; why no night-bombing?
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

I found night bombing to be the most effective Allied fighter sweep weapon. Allied bombers shot down enemy fighters at night as if they were flying during the daylight. This was back in my stock games, and may have changed since, but I don't know of a change. Of lesser importance, I like that it eliminates the shell game of either flying CAP during the day, or at night, trying to guess when the bombers are coming.

No night bombing hurts the Allies more than the Japanese, in my opinion. Easier to protect the Home Islands. But I don't have a problem with that. In my last game, where I was about to land on Luzon and then Formosa, it was just a matter of time till the B-29s showed up. Losses would be heavier than night flying, but the Home Islands were doomed.
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

Game still available. My long list of house rules is not meant to be demanding, just a listing of what worked well in my previous game against Walker. House rules are open for discussion.
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

I have the patience to wait for the right opponent, and the patience to play out the entire war. Do you?
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

I am discussing house rules with Aurorus at this time, and we hope to start a new campaign soon. I will be playing as the Allies, and will again be doing an AAR.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”