Simple question about "AI MANAGE AIR"

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

sherlockboneman

Simple question about "AI MANAGE AIR"

Post by sherlockboneman »

I'm brand new and watching the videos for like the tenth time and learning the interface. On the "Automatic Air Directive Creation" these is the button mentioned above. If I click it, and then hit yes- it doesn't appear to do anything. I thought it would completely handle the air operations and automatically set the directive creation. What does it do?
Floyd

RE: Simple question about "AI MANAGE AIR"

Post by Floyd »

Manual, section 17.3.11, page 165:
"When this button is used, the computer will move
units around the map to different airbases based on
the situation."
Joel Billings

RE: Simple question about "AI MANAGE AIR"

Post by Joel Billings »

What should happen is the AI should rebase aircraft based on the situation, but that's assuming you are generally following a historical progression (i.e. invade in Med in 43 and France in 44). You will still need to create Air Directives for the air forces, or use the Automatic Air Directive creation button to set the ADs. Our suggestion to players starting out is to use the AI move/manage air units/bases button periodically (every few turns, or when something major happens. It's best not to use this and then try to manually rebase some units as the AI will just change everything the next time you use the button. Once you are familiar with the game, then best to take over rebasing your aircraft manually.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”