Help with the Air War

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Chris21wen

Help with the Air War

Post by Chris21wen »

I've struggled with this since the game came out. I've put it down, picked it back up umpteen times but still grind to a halt when it comes to the air war. Yes I've read and gone through all the air war tutorials and understand how to set them up etc. What I don't understand is how to use them in a real scenario, I just don't get it.

I've currently started the Bulge to the Rhine. I looked at the air directives the AI set up when the scenario started. The Tac A/F directives are shown here, the 9th A/F directives are similar. I spent a good few hours moving air units and manually making changes to them when it suddenly dawned on me there are no air superiority mission in either Air HQ and I can't create any due to the game limitations. Surely the AI can't be that bad that it'll ignore AS missions?

Could someone enlighten me on what's going on, what I've missed etc because I've must have missed something important.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Helpless

RE: Help with the Air War

Post by Helpless »

Surely the AI can't be that bad that it'll ignore AS missions?

AS missions are good, but not mandatory. You can survive without them in case your auto-interception does good job. Auto-interception doesn't require AD. AS should be used as a directed LR CAP/SWEEP.

In your case you can try to optimize GND SUPPORT ADs, say delete two which are assigned to 2nd BR Army and 1st Canadian Army and assign one to 21st BR AG, so it will provide ground support for all subordinates under 21st BR AG, which would include 1CA and 2BA).
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Surely the AI can't be that bad that it'll ignore AS missions?

AS missions are good, but not mandatory. You can survive without them in case your auto-interception does good job. Auto-interception doesn't require AD. AS should be used as a directed LR CAP/SWEEP.

In your case you can try to optimize GND SUPPORT ADs, say delete two which are assigned to 2nd BR Army and 1st Canadian Army and assign one to 21st BR AG, so it will provide ground support for all subordinates under 21st BR AG, which would include 1CA and 2BA).

I knew I must have been missing something important. Auto inception being the thing I missed. Just to confirm any active F/FB-F not assigned to an AD will fly them.

Also thanks for the tip on Air Support. I did use that in Huskey Scenario then promptly forgot.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Just to confirm any active F/FB-F not assigned to an AD will fly them.

Yes, in case raid will be detected in time and ac will be in position to intercept. Also FB must be set to fighter role, not bomber.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”