Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Kothyxaan

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Kothyxaan »

Love your mod, there is a lot to it that I was hoping would be in the game anyway, but I have a quick question. I thought I had found a bug. My fighters were not attacking. So I switched to the original distantworld.exe and they started attacking again.

Then I read this here:

"Automate flight ops
control-A will automate flight ops for the currently selected carrier. You will see a visual indication of this by a "*" preceding the carrier's name. In this mode the carrier will launch fighters and choose their targets. But wait. That's exactly what happens in vanilla DWU, right? So why do we need this. Well, because now the default behavior is full manual control of launching and targeting.

Manual launch and target selection
When not in automatic mode (or under AI control) you can select targets and launch strikes with the following hotkeys"

Does that mean I will have to set every ship/station that has fighter bays to automatic or the fighters/bomber will not attack?
If so, is there anyway to have it start out as automatic?
As I said, my fighters are just flying around and not attacking any enemies.

Hmmm... could also be this:

"To mitigate these bugs it is important that you press any key as soon as your saved game loads (or as soon as a new game finishes the setup phase for new games. The reason for this is that the settings for the mod are not actually loaded until the first time a key is pressed. I have gotten in the habit of pressing the space bar to pause and unpause the game but any key will work."

I cant remember if i pressed a key or not. [X(]
Actually... I think I did, I am sure I unpause with the space key as you do (I will check when I get home from work).

PS. Great work man [:)]
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Kothyxaan

Love your mod, there is a lot to it that I was hoping would be in the game anyway, but I have a quick question. I thought I had found a bug. My fighters were not attacking. So I switched to the original distantworld.exe and they started attacking again.

Then I read this here:

"Automate flight ops
control-A will automate flight ops for the currently selected carrier. You will see a visual indication of this by a "*" preceding the carrier's name. In this mode the carrier will launch fighters and choose their targets. But wait. That's exactly what happens in vanilla DWU, right? So why do we need this. Well, because now the default behavior is full manual control of launching and targeting.

When not in automatic mode (or under AI control) you can select targets and launch strikes with the following hotkeys"

Does that mean I will have to set every ship/station that has fighter bays to automatic or the fighters/bomber will not attack?

Hi. Ships under AI control (i.e. your ships that you have not given manual missions to, which includes all stations) will use the default fighter behavior. In other words it superceeds the * no-* settings. For ships you are controlling, yes you have to set each carrier. I went back and forth with which way I wanted as default and decided that for must ships it wouldn't matter since the AI would be controlling them. For ships in a fleet I was controlling I wanted to direct the attacks personally.
If you have a fleet selected I think I included code where you can give the * command and it will go to every ship in the fleet. I'm not sure but you can try.

I assume you mean fighters and bombers when you say "fighters". I also (tried) to put some setting in there to prevent fighters (not bombers) from attacking ships and stay back on CAP by default. I'm also assuming your bombers are in rnage since you said that they started attacking with hte original exe and the range there is much shorter than my mod.

When you turned on automatic flight ops did the fighters start attacking?
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Beyondfubar

Looks like I have no less than 26 images in the ship folders, but to be on the safe size I'll check them one by one.

Also, be sure you are using the Starfall that was updated recently to work with the latest version of Distant Worlds. The main thread for Starfall was abandoned before the last patch for DWU.

Last night I added my fighter change to my install of "Beyond" and I noticed that the research.txt for that mod was based off of an older version than the final patch; it didn't have reference to the non-beam superweapons. It shouldn't matter but its something to be aware of.
Kothyxaan

Post by Kothyxaan »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Then I read this here:

"Automate flight ops

Hi. Ships under AI control (i.e. your ships that you have not given manual missions to, which includes all stations) will use the default fighter behavior. In other words it superceeds the * no-* settings. For ships you are controlling, yes you have to set each carrier. I went back and forth with which way I wanted as default and decided that for must ships it wouldn't matter since the AI would be controlling them. For ships in a fleet I was controlling I wanted to direct the attacks personally.
If you have a fleet selected I think I included code where you can give the * command and it will go to every ship in the fleet. I'm not sure but you can try.

I assume you mean fighters and bombers when you say "fighters". I also (tried) to put some setting in there to prevent fighters (not bombers) from attacking ships and stay back on CAP by default. I'm also assuming your bombers are in rnage since you said that they started attacking with hte original exe and the range there is much shorter than my mod.

When you turned on automatic flight ops did the fighters start attacking?

Yes I should have clarified a little better.
Only my station has a fighter bay right now. There are three rival pirate ships attacking it. All the fighters are just fighters (it is a component from the Distant World Extended mod, one of the race techs there, I think they get bombers later, but there are none right now).
The Fighters are just ignoring the attacking ships.
I am not at home so I cannot put on the automatic flight ops (and the fighters are from a space port anyway).
Going by what you have said (near the last part of what you wrote) fighters will not attack enemy ships?

Also, a little off track, but do you (or anyone) know if "the Pirate Resorts are currently bugged in that destroyed resorts are not properly removed from the game, which means that they will continue to cost you maintenance even though it is no longer making any money."
Is still a bug or if it has been fixed?
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

Looks like I have no less than 26 images in the ship folders, but to be on the safe size I'll check them one by one.

Also, be sure you are using the Starfall that was updated recently to work with the latest version of Distant Worlds. The main thread for Starfall was abandoned before the last patch for DWU.

Last night I added my fighter change to my install of "Beyond" and I noticed that the research.txt for that mod was based off of an older version than the final patch; it didn't have reference to the non-beam superweapons. It shouldn't matter but its something to be aware of.

Roger that, I have the starfall 1.12 -Corrected version. It's really great you ought to try it out!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Roger that, I have the starfall 1.12 -Corrected version. It's really great you ought to try it out!

I will, if only to make sure it works with my mod.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Yes I should have clarified a little better.
Only my station has a fighter bay right now. There are three rival pirate ships attacking it. All the fighters are just fighters (it is a component from the Distant World Extended mod, one of the race techs there, I think they get bombers later, but there are none right now).
The Fighters are just ignoring the attacking ships.
I am not at home so I cannot put on the automatic flight ops (and the fighters are from a space port anyway).
Going by what you have said (near the last part of what you wrote) fighters will not attack enemy ships?

[/quote]

In my mod FighterBays only produce fighters and BomberBays only produce bombers. I did this so peoplce can decided on the proportion of fighters and bombers they want. Be sure to add BomberBays if you want bombers.

You can still force fighters to attack any target using the manual command (I actually forgot the keyboard shortcut but you can look it up). They will do their best to attack the enemy ships. Just don't expect too much from their pew pew laser.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

In case I'm just using the wrong mods.. is there an Bacon-Tested, Mod approved list?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Nope, you are the first to test any interaction out. I assumed 100% compatibility since I only changed the exe and no one else did that. Perhaps I was wrong.
Kothyxaan

Post by Kothyxaan »

With regards to the fighters. Is there anyway in making it optional? As in adding an option to your config so that they can act on default behaviour and attack ships as normal?

I am using a fighter bay from that mod I mentioned (it only uses fighters). At worst I can just change the fighters to bombers (keeping the same stats). I need to remember to turn of the bomber ammo thing anyway, since I never used your fighters/components files - which means the bombers are doing the standard damage.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

It appears that there is just something about Starfall it doesn't like, I get the crash to desktop with appcrash quite often now, I'll keep digging.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

I will, if only to make sure it works with my mod.

I like it's massive research tree, insane amount of additional super rare resources and race diversification. However I believe that one of these things is causing my issue. I am almost certain at this point that something is wrong with the research tree in a few of the lines (increased progression in three trees unlock nothing, improve nothing, lead to nothing.)

I'm thinking a more effective way to help you troubleshoot this would be for me to go to a save that is not yet terminally broken and start trying your in-built commands until I get an immediate crash.

Edit: Adding all your commands and their function in one spot to make this easier

Hotkeys

Alt 1 - designate origin for civilian cargo mission
Alt 2 - designate destination for civilian cargo mission
Alt 3 - designate ship to perform mission
Alt ; - Cycle backward through current selection's ship type
Alt ' - Cycle forward through current selection's ship type

Ctrl W - Execute Passenger transport mission, must have passenger ship selected AND must use the passenger.txt file! Copy paste is a MUST! You may keep the txt file open, however it must be saved between uses. Will only transport primary race citizens.
Ctrl E - Find item by given name
Ctrl R - Itemized list of damaged components (Doesn't work for unowned ships in my experience, would be neat to see how that desolation moon is coming though eh?)
Ctrl S - Displays battle stats of selected item, including added feature "Crew experience" levels are: green, average, experienced, veteran, elite, and legendary. providing bonuses such as:

+10% sublight speed
+10% shield and shield recharge
+10% weapon range and weapon travel speed
+10% weapon damage (every other weapon under 10 damage will receive +1 damaged instead)
+25% targeting, countermeasures, -20% static energy usage, +10% fuel capacity

Warning -> Significant damage will reduce crew levels.

Fighter Hotkeys

Warning: Only works in MANUAL MODE for parent carrier
Alt 4 - designates fighter target
Alt 5 - Attack order for bombers, if bomber is selected orders THAT bomber to attack, if carrier, all bombers
Alt 6 - Attack order for bombers not already launched, will not alter current attack missions for launched bombers
Alt / - Find targeted fighter's parent carrier/base

Commands

#disband - Disband selected fleet
#disband FleetName - Disband by name of fleet inputted
#join FleetName - Join fleet by fleet inputted
#combine FleetName - Join selected fleet to inputted fleet disbanding the selected fleet
#combine Fleet1+Fleet2 - Combine inputted last fleet into inputted first fleet disbanding last fleet
#add [shipDesign]=[amount] - This command will attempt to reinforce the currently selected fleet with [amount] of [ship design] ships. If [amount] is left off it defaults to 1.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Thanks, Beyondfubar! Now I don't have to make my own list.[:)]
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

I figured RogerBacon might want to copy paste that to the top of his mod post, it's the least I can do to help this amazing mod along.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I figured RogerBacon might want to copy paste that to the top of his mod post, it's the least I can do to help this amazing mod along.

I did indeed. Thank you. I've been remiss in not writing a proper documentation.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

Hey you did it, so I've narrowed my errors down to a "System.ArgumentOutOfRange" CTD. Seems to occur faster if I try and move my populations around with the ctrl W but other than that it has always eventually happened.

Edit: I've significantly increased my mean time between errors by completely erasing my folders under appdata roaming code force folder. Still getting them about every 20-25 min though. That is up from about 30 seconds with a terminally borked save.

Edit Edit: I've also completely started over with Steam, delete it all and restart.. minus your bomber changes and a minor edit to Starfall to make (to me) sense of a wonder that says it increases something then does something else.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Hey you did it, so I've narrowed my errors down to a "System.ArgumentOutOfRange" CTD. Seems to occur faster if I try and move my populations around with the ctrl W but other than that it has always eventually happened.

Edit: I've significantly increased my mean time between errors by completely erasing my folders under appdata roaming code force folder. Still getting them about every 20-25 min though. That is up from about 30 seconds with a terminally borked save.

Edit Edit: I've also completely started over with Steam, delete it all and restart.. minus your bomber changes and a minor edit to Starfall to make (to me) sense of a wonder that says it increases something then does something else.

The next time you get a crash, post the stack trace, what you were doing at the time, and the mod you were using. Thanks.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

It's the CTD kind gives me a System.ArgumentOutOfRange issue. Not the details, continue, quit kind. Still want it?

Edit: Strangely it also does NOT give me a crash log under code force limited -> Distant worlds -> Normal crash logs

I can accelerate the crash by moving passengers around.. but it is not 100% chance thus far

Edit edit: Perhaps some background -> I make sure to press a button prior to doing anything else, I have merged your bomber settings into Starfall 1.12 (corrected). I have made only one other change (The Zedor Complex no longer provides a research change but a industry change, not built.. by anyone) It is still early game.. no fighting, very little colonization. Also few state ships. I try to move as many passengers to my second and third planet as possible, also stealing the Ancient guardians blind of research. Playing as the Egorans.

Edit Edit edit: The crash I get is very non-telling. I'll grab as much as I can next crash.
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

Sorry can't post numbers and what not for a bit.. PM'ed you the details
Kothyxaan

Post by Kothyxaan »

Ok I juast noticed that the Stations with All Dimensional Fighter Bays from the: tm.asp?m=3647528 mod are only producing fighters. They should be producing a mixture of fighter and torpedo type fighters. I have your mod folder BaconWorld but it is not active I have the above mod active.
Since BaconWorld is not active there should be no seperation of fighters and Bombers.
Weird.
I had to switch to default exe to kill attacking pirates, because my station had no defences due to it being incomplete, then switch back.
So is there anyway to give fighters back their default attack everything setting? [:D]

Also another thing, had a ship with boarding pods, phasers, tractor beam and fighter bay. Sent it to attack a ship, its mission was stated as "capture", all it did was use the tractor beam. Did not try to board or shoot it to lower the shields so it could board.
Switched to the normal exe. The same result... had to micro manage a capture, Weird, since it worked fine to start with (on your mod) I wonder if its because I set up my "criminal network".
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Ok I juast noticed that the Stations with All Dimensional Fighter Bays from the: tm.asp?m=3647528 mod are only producing fighters. They should be producing a mixture of fighter and torpedo type fighters. I have your mod folder BaconWorld but it is not active I have the above mod active.
Since BaconWorld is not active there should be no seperation of fighters and Bombers.
Weird.
I had to switch to default exe to kill attacking pirates, because my station had no defences due to it being incomplete, then switch back.
So is there anyway to give fighters back their default attack everything setting? [:D]

Hi, my mod (the exe) makes it so that fighter bays only produce fighters for the player. To get bombers you have to add the bomber bay component included in the BaconWorld folder. So that is why you are only seeing fighters.
Rather tha nswitching exes to kill the pirates you can just use the alt-4 to designate them as a target and then order the base's fighters to attack them. Much faster than exiting hte game and switching exes.
As to swithcing default fighter behavior back, you would think it would be easy but the fighter logic is so complex I'm afraid if I touch it any more it may make it so fighters never attack anything. Just trust me that its already ugly.
The preferred solution is to install some bombers on the stations so that they attack the enemy ships. Its what bombers are made for and they work really well. In my games I usually build a defense base on the first planet in the system (new the star) and the fighters can protect about half of the system that way.
Also another thing, had a ship with boarding pods, phasers, tractor beam and fighter bay. Sent it to attack a ship, its mission was stated as "capture", all it did was use the tractor beam. Did not try to board or shoot it to lower the shields so it could board.
Switched to the normal exe. The same result... had to micro manage a capture, Weird, since it worked fine to start with (on your mod) I wonder if its because I set up my "criminal network".

This probably had to do with hte ship's range settings and default behavior for stronger / weaker ships. Was the tractor beam the longest range weapon?

Return to “Design and Modding”