Anyone know of WW2 aircraft used by different countries given different name?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jack54

Anyone know of WW2 aircraft used by different countries given different name?

Post by jack54 »

Hi again,

I've really been enjoying the air war in 'War in the West'. This has led me to start reading up on the various aircraft.

I was surprised to see that the Douglas A-20 Havoc and the Boston bomber were the same plane. The British named the Havoc "Boston".

I haven't found any others but have a suspicion there are more.

Thanks!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
jimi3

RE: Anyone know of WW2 aircraft used by different countries given different name?

Post by jimi3 »

Here's a few. Correct me if I'm off on any.
AT-6 = Harvard
Lockheed Super Electra = Hudson
F4F Wildcat = Martlet
P-36 = Mohawk
P-40 = Tomahawk
Cheers, Jim
sanch

RE: Anyone know of WW2 aircraft used by different countries given different name?

Post by sanch »

From memory (which isn't perfect!) ...

C-47 = Dakota
B-25 = Mitchell

Some others were the same as the US nicknames. B24 (Liberator) P38 (lightning) P51 (Mustang), etc.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Bristol Type 156 Beaufighter = Whispering Death
Douglas SBD Dauntless = Clunk
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress = Buff
Lockheed P-38 Lightning = Fork-tailed Devil
Messerschmitt BF 109F = Fritz
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress = Queen
Vickers Wellington = Wimpy
Martin B-26 Marauder = Widow-Maker
Republic P-47 Thunderbolt = T-bolt

Self-Service [:D]
http://web.mit.edu/btyung/www/nickname.html
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

I think you missed the purpose of the OP's post. :)

For example, the B-25J Mitchell in American service was called the Mitchell III by the RAF.

The C-47 Skytrain (US) was called the Dakota by the RAF.

P-51B/C (US) Mustang Mk III (RAF)
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Thanks....that's the kind of things I'm looking for....

Like F4F Wildcat= Martlet

(I do appreciate the nicknames link though; it is interesting.)

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Not an airplane, but I think you may be looking for something like this:

Zippo (American nickname) = Ronson (British nickname) = Emcha (Russian nickname) => M4 tank
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

B-17 C/E/F (US) Fortress I/Mk IIA/ MK II (Strange sequence, but that's how it went)

TBF Avenger series (US) Tarpon GR 1/Avenger Mk.II/III (Royal Navy.) MK.IV was cancelled. AS4 delivered post war. Avenger AS3/3M/Mk.3W2 (Royal Canadian Navy. Modified for sub hunting)

SB2C Helldiver (USN) A-25A Shrike (USAAF) 10 accepted out of 420 by the Royal Australian Air Force, the other 410 sent to the USMC. Converted to SB2C-1, they were used as trainers and target tugs. The Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm received 26, called Helldiver I. After unsatisfactory tests that pinpointed "appalling handling", none of the British Helldivers were used in action.

Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
ORIGINAL: Red2112

I think you missed the purpose of the OP's post. :)

For example, the B-25J Mitchell in American service was called the Mitchell III by the RAF.

Oh sorry, I see.

Hope the list at least gives a starting point. At least you know one nickname, then it´s just a case of looking for the second one I guess.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Philippe at bay

Not an airplane, but I think you may be looking for something like this:

Zippo (American nickname) = Ronson (British nickname) => M4 tank
If I can divert a bit... http://www.theshermantank.com/lee-and-g ... e-sherman/
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Fun article, and it added a third nickname for the M4.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

If I remember well, the Brewster F2A was known as the Buffalo in the RAF and B-239 by the Finns
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Some more:

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (US) \ Hawk (France) \ Tomahawk, Kittyhawk (UK, USSR, Netherlands)
Grumman F6F Hellcat (US) \ Gannet, Hellcat (UK)
Douglas B-18 Bolo (US) \ Digby (Canada)
Douglas SBD Dauntless (US Navy, Marines) \ A-24 Banshee (US Army Air Force)
Consolidated PBY Catalina (US,UK) \ Canso (Canada)

There are also lots of planes that had varying nicknames but the same official name.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Thanks too everyone for the posts.... good stuff!

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Almost any American plane which was used by other Nations had differences in armament, engines, and fuel tank sizes.
Many had a longer range because the American engines generally burnt with less tolerance, and were designed to burn more efficiently.
My favorite example of this was when my dad was building Allison engines in Indianapolis for the P 40 and P 39.
One day, Allison held a publicity stunt and blocked off west tenth street, where they then brought three P 40 models out, destined for the USAAF, China, and the RAF.
All three planes were given the same amount of fuel and started at the same time.
The Allison people bragged that the test would prove that the U.S. version was superior, and they were sure this display would show this.

Instead, the U.S. plane cut out first, then the RAF, and the Chinese was still chugging away.
The reason was that the planes were designed with different tolerances, and the importance of burning "lean" were made apparent (for those willing to learn).

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Almost any American plane which was used by other Nations had differences in armament, engines, and fuel tank sizes.
Many had a longer range because the American engines generally burnt with less tolerance, and were designed to burn more efficiently.
My favorite example of this was when my dad was building Allison engines in Indianapolis for the P 40 and P 39.
One day, Allison held a publicity stunt and blocked off west tenth street, where they then brought three P 40 models out, destined for the USAAF, China, and the RAF.
All three planes were given the same amount of fuel and started at the same time.
The Allison people bragged that the test would prove that the U.S. version was superior, and they were sure this display would show this.

Instead, the U.S. plane cut out first, then the RAF, and the Chinese was still chugging away.
The reason was that the planes were designed with different tolerances, and the importance of burning "lean" were made apparent (for those willing to learn).
That indeed is very cool,  your father engineer for Allison ?.

Running lean in combustion engines is a way to increase fuel efficiency by trading longevity , the " tolerances " had to be changed due to running temperature increase. I heard many of the Allied nations request this due to their fuel shortages. Problem with this was at high RPM's they would run the risk of burning a hole in a piston/s ....

Return to “General Discussion”