IJN AVs aviation support

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lord_Calidor

IJN AVs aviation support

Post by Lord_Calidor »

Cheers,
how much aviation support do the Husimi and Sanyo (converted Kyushu) AVs add to the base for seaplane operations?
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.
btd64

RE: IJN AVs aviation support

Post by btd64 »

Look on the right side, roughly middle of the column and you will see the number. Same place and CV capacity....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Don't have my game computer on at the moment so can't say about the specific ship class, but a couple of points that might help:

AV has to be disbanded at the port.

Let's assume this is a dot base you control for the moment without any troops landed.
Then the base screen will show something like this:

Air Support 0+21

showing you have 0 (regular base air support) and (21) points of air support from ships.

(edited for clarity?)
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Lord_Calidor

Post by Lord_Calidor »

Thanks GP, it's indeed written in the mid-left section. Even for yet-unconverted ships (Husimis) it says how much support it will provide when converted to.

To answer myself:
Sanyo AV (converted Kyushu xAK) - 21 seaplane support,
Husimi AV - 16 s.support.

1st ones take 210 days to convert, while the 2nd ones, 180 days. A lot, but I guess they will also help a lot in mid 42 and beyond, when av.support is scarce anyway, so at least some of it will be freed up from supporting seaplanes.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

IMO the Kyushus are too valuable as fast AK types to convert them to AV (or anything else) - closest thing to an APA / AKA the Japanese player can get.

Therefore I would convert only Husimis to AV types.

I usually pair them with a JAAF or JNAF Airfield Company - 16 + 8 air support points > perfect for supporting a float plane unit resized with Chitose/Chiyoda to 24 planes.

The Airfield Coys are small enough to be shifted easily by flying boats acting as transport planes.

If the AV gets sunk, the Airfield Coy will allow to get the planes out before being lifted out itself.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Japan starts with more AVs that it needs, I would not build any more. As LST mentioned, it is not a good tradeoff to use good AKs

AVs are nice in the early war, but afterwards it is much better to use LCU aviation support; it won't sink
Amoral

Post by Amoral »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Japan starts with more AVs that it needs, I would not build any more. As LST mentioned, it is not a good tradeoff to use good AKs

AVs are nice in the early war, but afterwards it is much better to use LCU aviation support; it won't sink

Japan only starts with 8 AV. I find them too useful to be satisfied with that.

You should have at least one in every important convoy, because spotted subs are neutralized subs and because they become the preferred target in an attack. And I don't think there is enough aviation support available, but that is because I invest in upping my aircraft production.

I convert every Huisimi, along with 20 Kyushus to cover my 15kt convoys.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Don't have my game computer on at the moment so can't say about the specific ship class, but a couple of points that might help:

AV has to be disbanded at the port.

Let's assume this is a dot base you control for the moment without any troops landed.
Then the base screen will show something like this:

Air Support 0+21

showing you have 0 (regular base air support) and (21) points of air support from ships.

(edited for clarity?)

Unlike many other types of support ships AV does not have to be disbanded into to port to function.

You will see a boost in the +(value) indicator at the base for every AV, AVP and AVD at that base whether in a TF or disbanded.
Hans

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

On the subject of AVs, if they also have a capacity rating, can they operate float planes while at sea in a TF like CSs?

**EDIT: Disregard previous. I did a RTFM and found:

"Differs significantly from CS in that AV type
ships do no operate aircraft while underway and
generally do not carry aircraft themselves."

Lol, I even found a typo.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

On the subject of AVs, if they also have a capacity rating, can they operate float planes while at sea in a TF like CSs?
Some can, some cannot. Look on the right side of the squadron screen for the Air Capacity as opposed to the Support Capacity.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

As a Japanese player I can tell you this is absolutely incorrect. All Japanese AV's will operate A/C at sea. Most can operate and carry 9, and support 21. Those that are converted are somewhat different, as Huisimi's have different numbers IIRC. The Kyushus' are 9/21. In addition Japan has at least one build that'll operate 4 and support 22 IIRC.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Amoral

Post by Amoral »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

As a Japanese player I can tell you this is absolutely incorrect. All Japanese AV's will operate A/C at sea. Most can operate and carry 9, and support 21. Those that are converted are somewhat different, as Huisimi's have different numbers IIRC. The Kyushus' are 9/21. In addition Japan has at least one build that'll operate 4 and support 22 IIRC.

All of the Japanese AV, initial and converted, operate aircraft while underway. Very few of the allies many AVs also have this ability.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Amoral

ORIGINAL: rustysi

All of the Japanese AV, initial and converted, operate aircraft while underway. Very few of the allies many AVs also have this ability.
I think only one does ... maybe two ... been sometime since I played the allied side.
Pax
Lord_Calidor

Post by Lord_Calidor »

Just as 'doh bit of info, which may be obvious to others, but has come to my attention only recently - Jap AVs provide support as noted eg. Husimi 16, Kyushu 21.
However, that is decreased for the number of onboard seaplanes, so eg. Kyushu with a wing of 9 seaplanes, provide only 12 support. Husimi, having float plane capacity of 4, also provide 12 support if their air wing is present.
Explains why I was seeing strange support numbers (eg. 55+12, 75+16 etc.) in base screens.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”