STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (TV)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

zakblood

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (TV)

Post by zakblood »

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PhTS1Vyf6I

while not a game, i know most of you like or love star trek, it's an age thing, not too sure on this one though, again going back to the roots, so before Kirk etc seems more of a spoof of how to destroy a thought of how to make a good one imo.

without knocking it without actually seeing it so can't make a full opinion on it, from what's been seen so far, to boldly go where we have been before, but this time with more special effects, and hollywood glam.

so to recap, from my views and points of view / opinion, eye candy doesn't make a film, a game or a TV series, while it makes it look better, it's story that matters first and foremost.

get it wrong, you kill it, alter a known part of a good series, and again you kill it, seem this or these makers haven't learnt from the past and keep doing the same mistakes, altering stuff to suit their own views, and not keeping to what has gone before, a shame, while i'll more than likely watch it, i won't be holding my breath to see how far it boldly goes either, as i feel it will be short and maybe unloved, then again, i maybe wrong, it's 50/50 with me at times it seems on my predications and views[:(]

so it's backwards in time

but more tech than any of the later ships (again)

and worst of all, they have again altered the Klingons (again) seems wrong, was wrong the first time they did it, and again still seems wrong again this time, ah well, these aren't the only 3 things i've found wrong about it, but won't bore you all to death with the others either, watch and see for yourself and make up your own mind[>:]
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 229 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 229 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
DonCzirr

RE: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY (TV)

Post by DonCzirr »

I'm going to give it a chance.

I remember not even looking at Enterprise for such a long time because of the corny buzz ballad music they had for the intro. How good could it be with an intro like that?

Later when I found the mute button on my remote and just skipped the intro, I was pleasantly surprised to see what's probably the best consistently good Trek series in terms of plot / script.

There was no Lwaxana Troi and her silly marriages, a far lower rate of Hollywood self-indulgent moralizing instead of entertaining etc ....

So ... keeping an open mind on this one too ... hopefully it pays off.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i've really enjoyed the last 2 movies, and they both didn't follow the older plots of the TV series, but stayed close enough to make me tag along, and yes also enjoyed Enterprise in some parts, but not all the stories were watchable, then again same was true for DS9 and voyager with Janeway's search for coffee more than once making me switch for the other side

but fingers crossed they don't over do the hollywood bits and again spoil it for the fans like me, while i don't think of myself as a trekkie, i do like good space based films and TV
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

If you don't like it then don't watch. This is a new series and will succeed or fail on it's own.
It will have no impact on the series before it.
Flipper
uncc

Post by uncc »

I will probably watch the initial episode, but will most likely miss any subsequent ones. Still can't believe CBS will be doing this [:@]
The series will premiere on the CBS Television Network with all subsequent episodes available on CBS All Access.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/about/
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

"but more tech than any of the later ships (again)"

I am ok with that. Otherwise, the series would be stuck back in 60s with computers represented as a bunch of flashing lights. I think what was done to R2D2 was a worse infraction.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

As long the story arc is interesting I can live with the changes.
I'm more worried with the Blade Runner remake....
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Isn't that new Blade Runner by Ridley Scott? Anyway I do like Star Trek, but sometimes it goes up and down, same for Star Wars and not knowing wtf is going on lol.

As long it have good story lines, special effects and actors/actress, then I have no problems with it.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Isn't that new Blade Runner by Ridley Scott?
He's the producer not the Director. The only thing that it makes me quite curious is that the screenplay is from Hampton Fancher (the original Blade Runner screenwiter before he was replaced by David Peoples).
When I've watched the trailer, I sensed that some of the sequences (and ambiance)is probably inspired on his original Blade Runner scripts. So maybe there's some hope.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

there's always some hope it anything,.

hopefully...
[8|]
[;)]
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Realize that only the first episode will show on CBS. For the U.S. and Canada, all other episodes will only be available on CBS All-Access. The full series will be available on NETFLIX in 166 countries. CBS is employing this strategy in an effort to prevent the series from being pirated. Though if HBOs' Game of Thrones is any indication of a pirated series, then maybe CBS should just open the series up to the world at once.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I hate Star Trek. lol
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

I hate Star Trek. lol

i did think so[:D]
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Did not watch it yet. Any feedback on this new TV series?
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Come on, confess, Zakblood you are interested by the main actress.[:D]
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Before I watched it I though:
- Oh why oh why is it set BEFORE Kirk??
- The new Klingons makes them look less like Klingons and more like "Keeping Up With The Cardassians"
- Why is the tech so advanced?
- (mild spoiler but it happens in the first 5 mins so not much of a one -- but does sand not blow around in a storm???)

So after all that, I've watched 2 episodes (on Netflix), and it looks great. All in all, I thought it was good. Will keep watching. Better than Enterpise, but still too early for a definitive opinion...

As for Blade Runner...I hadn't much hope but read a review in the UK's Telegraph which gave it 5 stars: "Blade Runner 2049 review: Harrison Ford is extraordinary in the most spectacular, provocative blockbuster of our time"
So I live in hope!
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

So after all that, I've watched 2 episodes (on Netflix), and it looks great. All in all, I thought it was good. Will keep watching. Better than Enterpise, but still too early for a definitive opinion...

It's not hard to be better than Enterprise. [:'(]

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth
As for Blade Runner...I hadn't much hope but read a review in the UK's Telegraph which gave it 5 stars: "Blade Runner 2049 review: Harrison Ford is extraordinary in the most spectacular, provocative blockbuster of our time"
So I live in hope!

I have absolutely no hope at all. But I'll try to keep my mind open.
For several reasons I've been away from movie theatres. The last time I was in a movie theatre was to see "Blade Runner: The Final Cut". I'll make an exception again and hope to see it this weekend.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

The last time I was in a movie theatre was to see "Blade Runner: The Final Cut"

I did not like it. Sometimes it's better not touching the original. But, which one is the original now? They were so many versions.
It's like the original Star Wars trilogy and all the modifications made editions after editions...
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

You have to pay to see it. That ain't going to happen. It wasn't that good.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

I did not like it. Sometimes it's better not touching the original. But, which one is the original now? They were so many versions.
It's like the original Star Wars trilogy and all the modifications made editions after editions...

After seeing for the first time the Director's Cut, I didn't like it because of the absence of the voice over. But the ending of the theatrical version is so bad..... In the end I just get used to the Director's Cut version and in fact end up preferring it. Once the Final Cut was released that became my favourite version and the one I tend to see now.
I've seen basically all other versions (except the Laser Disc version), including several of the fan edit versions (https://www.fanedit.org/), but the Final Cut is really the definitive one.

Anyway, I've reserved a ticket for tomorrow, so I will see the new one.
But have no hope that I will like it.
I just feel as a Blade Runner buff, I have to see it. [:'(]

Return to “General Discussion”