Stalking the Wolf. Mundy (A) vs GrauWolf80 (J) - LST's Bottleneck Mod.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bif1961

RE: Stalking the Wolf. Mundy (A) vs GrauWolf80 (J) - LST's Bottleneck Mod.

Post by Bif1961 »

Some float planes have that CAP capability.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Forgot to add...

The French freak sub, Surcouf arrived in Panama. I guess she won't be run down by a transport this time. I'm curious to see how she'll operate.

Give us a picture of the sub...please.[:)]
Here ya go - the first Cruiser Submarine - with 2 X 8" guns!

Attachments
SSSurcouf.jpg
SSSurcouf.jpg (296.58 KiB) Viewed 68 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Forgot to add...

The French freak sub, Surcouf arrived in Panama. I guess she won't be run down by a transport this time. I'm curious to see how she'll operate.

Give us a picture of the sub...please.[:)]
Here ya go - the first Cruiser Submarine - with 2 X 8" guns!

e

The designers were reading their Jules Verne for her! Many thanks![:)] She needs a bow mounted ram, though.[:D]
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

It looks like this one's coming to a screeching halt.

GW doesn't really feel like continuing with this one. All the civilians I have in Palembang has made that too tough for him.

I'll have to see if LST wants to "adjust" the scenario a bit before I look for a new opponent.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Well, I understand the frustration of GW, but he should have concentrated his forces to capture the SRA first (with the "big stick" instead of trying to grab bases "on the cheap") - and not sending units to New Caledonia and Fiji early-on. You cannot play that scenario the same way as you are used to from stock or original DBB - it has been conceived to slow things down.

OTOH you should have tried to evacuate the civilians - is part of the scenario design. There are ample means to achieve it. Some may get lost trying to escape and others might have to be left behind, that's pretty historical.

The civilians are there to prevent a full Sir Robin, to force the Allies to fight instead of running away and to tie-down shipping. Failing to evacuate them will eventually yield a huge VP harvest to Japan and will cause a considerable supply drain for the Allies, since some units are quite large in order to have a significant impact. This should be enough incitement to "play according to script" - but apparently you did not care about the VP loss and supply drain?!?

By necessity, each "civilian" device is paired with a support device, otherwise the units would just whither away. With each non-combat device adding 1/10 to defense, this can add-up to the combat power. Making no efforts whatsoever to get the civilians out results in unintended consequences - a huge boost provided to the defense.

I may revisit the civilian units and tone-down the numbers of devices. However, if the players don't accept the scenario "script", then there is no other solution than deleting the "Civilians" from the scenario and thus to water-down the entire scenario concept - I'm not ready to do that.

If GW throws the towel, I would offer to pick-up the game to see for myself - but not at the same pace.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Interesting comcept LST! I am not sure the PBEM players fully understood the role of civilians going into the game - so many details to learn in a major mod.
Certainly GW should be offered the chance to make a restart so he can use the things he learned.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

This seems like a fascinating mod![&o]

I think it is way too soon for this game to be over...lots of life left in Japan.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I'll probably make a more serious effort to get civilians out next time. That aspect wasn't real apparent to me the first time. They're almost like a pack of Viking berserkers in a fight. If you have a number of them stacked together like I did at Palembang, your typical SNLF won't be able to cope with them. Just about every dot base in China has something similar, but they aren't "civilians" per se. More like admin with a few guerillas attached, may of whom are static. The Japanese pretty much roll right over them there. I know they needed to be big enough to be a serious supply sink.

If any of you guys want to give it a shot, I'd be game. I'd probably do a fresh start with a new game.

Supply in Japan got very tight for GW and he was bordering on collapsing the economy. Looking at the Japanese end, Light industry, where ALL supply in this scenario comes from, doesn't appear to be all broken like it is in the US. Methinks he was making little effort to ship in resources from Port Arthur or Hokkaido. In my one aborted IJN game with Steve and Onime, when I shipped that stuff in, supply climbed nicely.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Like LST said, GW was trying to grab lots on the cheap, instead of following typical Japanese doctrine and advancing under the cover of land based air. You can't throw around lots of weak units in this scenario.

Return to “After Action Reports”