New Scenario for Testing - Northwest Passage 2017

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kevinkins

New Scenario for Testing - Northwest Passage 2017

Post by kevinkins »

Northwest Passage

Sept. 16, 2016: Crystal Cruise’s luxury ship the Crystal Serenity completed an epic trip. The ship successfully transited the Northwest Passage which marked a first by a large luxury cruise ship. For 32 days and 7,297 nautical miles, 1,000 guests and 600 crew members witnessed the remote Arctic that was inaccessible just 100 years ago. The minimum fare was over 20,000 USD. Crystal Cruise’s Japanese owners were proud of their achievement, and their profits.

August 23, 2016: The U.S. Northern Command and Coast Guard launched a major exercise off Alaska’s northwest coast. "Arctic Chinook" was intended to demonstrate how local, state and federal agencies would respond to a simulated cruise ship accident. The excercise uncovered severe logistic problems.

Aug. 17, 2017: The next Crystal Cruise north set sail from Los Angeles. The trip was uneventful until Crystal Serenity departed Nome, Alaska. While navigating the Bering Strait near the Diomedes and the Russian border, the ship lost power. After switching to auxiliaries, the Captain pondered whether to continue through the Strait or return to the Nome. She did not have to ponder long as another power failure hit setting the ship adrift in an uncontrolled narrow circuit close to the rocky islands. Just as the captain instructed her staff to signal a mayday, the ship's Medical Officer burst onto the bridge. “Sir, dozens of passengers are reporting intestinal problems across the ship. This situation must be isolated now before we enter the Northwest Passage. Sir, when will power be restored?. My ward is dark, cold and overwhelmed!”.

This is not a drill.

Note: Chains of War is not required.

Kevin M Kinscherf
kevinkin@comcast.net
Attachments
Northwest..age2017.zip
(211.4 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
kevinkins

RE: New Scenario for Testing - Northwest Passage 2017

Post by kevinkins »

Grab a beer an some chips ... this a short one that I think many may enjoy.

- Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Titanic and Crimson Tide has a baby? I will try it when I back from work.
Owllord

Post by Owllord »

Hello kevinkin,

Enjoyed your scenario. I like scenarios that build up tension and don't immediately escalate into full-blown action. One thing I noticed is that I didn't get any score for keeping aircraft over the cruiser, nor did I seem to get points for moving the Hercules to Kotzebue. Helicopters worked fine.

I really liked that you had to rebase your helos. I lost two Falcons when they were shot down trying to relocate to Wales - though I had earlier on rebased the Raptors to Kotzebue as well and they readied just in time for a grand crescendo at the end of the scenario, wiping out the Russian S-35s. I used the Seawolf's Tomahawks to destroy the runway of Mys Shmidta, and then actually hit, in what must be my favorite moment while playing this scenario, the Russian sub with a torpedo in kinematic range. My surface vessel easily disposed of the Russian adversary.

One thing I would suggest is deactivating the log entries for some of the events - especially the Russia going hostile timer. It gives the player information that can easily be hidden for a more intense experience.

Nice scenario!
The artist known as Owl
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Thanks for those tips. I will let the current version play out over the weekend and then incorporate everyone's findings. Please PM me your final score. Just curious in light of adding points for a continuous CAP over the cruise ship and Tomahawk strikes.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Owllord

Post by Owllord »

Another thing I noticed is that you can move the RP, which makes it easy to manipulate the scoring by simply moving the zone.

Also I realized why I did not get points for moving the C-130 to Kotzebue: The corresponding reference points are surrounding the Wales airfield.

Send you my score, by the way.
The artist known as Owl
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Thanks for catching those items that I just fixed for a "beta 2" next week. We can discuss the overall scoring and the required thresholds via PM. Any other feedback from the gang will be incorporated.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”