Are you ready for the Desert War?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
Saint Ruth

RE: Are you ready for the Desert War?

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Thanks Brian, sounds really awesome! I will definitely pick this one up, finally, after all this time!

Also, I think we discussed this at one point, but I've forgotten--is it possible to edit save game files, to allow for use of this game as a operational layer for a tactical wargame?
Yes, indeed, though for hotseat games only.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: James Crowley
However, from a purely theoretical viewpoint, how easy/hard/desirable would it be to have a feature whereby units could become 'lost' and be temporarily out of the control (or even sight) of the player?
A sort of fog or war for ones own units? An interesting idea all right, but perhaps could get a bit frustrating for the player?
As you say, the C&C Delay sort of simulates that, as units might not do what they're told, but you'll still know where they are. Not sure about having units "dissappear" for a turn, though as you say, that's probably more realistic, as once battle was joined, fog of war affected both sides.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth
Yes, indeed, though for hotseat games only.

Awesome news, thanks!
Bladesss

Post by Bladesss »

Looks good. Scenario list is good, would like to see larger campaign. The editor sounds powerful
Gargoyl

Post by Gargoyl »

A definite YES! on this one. Wish I had time for the beta but my job is keeping me busy until summer is under way. I also love that the game is wego.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Saint Ruth.

I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks
rick
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: Bladess

Looks good. Scenario list is good, would like to see larger campaign. The editor sounds powerful

+1 on the larger/full campaign option!

Is this something that is being considered? Would be totally awesome! [:)]

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus
I see the unit's scale is small, Battalions / Companies / Platoons. I haven't tried the "free version", and I rather prefer operational level wargames, (like DC:B) although I also enjoy squad level games (ToTH)

I am rather intrigued how the gameplay will be, at the battalion level with such relatively large scale map and what appears (by one of the screenshots) three turns per day...?

Sad it does not have a grand campaign scenario, but for that I will wait for TOAWIV and also wait for the completion of Schwerpunkt's WWIIE North Africa scenario (Naval AI still almost inactive...)

I am also interested in seeing how these scenarios play out with WEGO, almost like Campaigns on the Danube which is good.

For potentially larger campaign scenario(s), are any planned? Would the game editor allow players to create larger scale campaigns, such as a re-creation of the classic AH Afrika Korps boardgame? That would be nice. Looking forward to trying Desert War.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

I am also interested in seeing how these scenarios play out with WEGO, almost like Campaigns on the Danube which is good.

For potentially larger campaign scenario(s), are any planned? Would the game editor allow players to create larger scale campaigns, such as a re-creation of the classic AH Afrika Korps boardgame? That would be nice. Looking forward to trying Desert War.
Hi, no there's no campaign game (as in a series of linked scenarios like in Panzer General etc).
The largest scenario is 2 weeks long (41 turns, 3 turns per day).
For the editor, you can select any turn length, from 3 turns a day to weekly or monthly turns.
You can also have units from platoons to Regiments to Divisions, but the difference between a Platoon and an Army is arbitrary as units are just abstracted Attack / Defense / Move / Quality etc values. You can also set the hex stacking limit, and the stacking size of different units etc. And the game will have contain big map covering most of Libya and Egypt (covering all the areas where battles were fought between 1940-42 excluding Tunisia).
So yes, if you wanted to, you could create such a scenario and you'd not need to do a map, but as we've been concentrating on Battalion and lower sized scenarios, so for that level it's missing some things, e.g. creating Fortifications etc.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Ummm in game you cant create fortifications... do you refer to permanet defesive positions like in Tobruk or Gazala line or units can entrench improving their defensive value when stay time in same hex???

A solution could be give the engenier units the ability to create them using ammo+fuel to pay creation of fortifications (you need a specific unit + resources) or simple paying ammo+fuel and buying a bunker for an hex.

Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon
game you cant create fortifications... do you refer to permanet defesive positions like in Tobruk or Gazala line or units can entrench improving their defensive value when stay time in same hex???

A solution could be give the engenier units the ability to create them using ammo+fuel to pay creation of fortifications (you need a specific unit + resources) or simple paying ammo+fuel and buying a bunker for an hex.
Yes, there's Forts, Entrenchments and Mines (which can be Breached).
Sure, we were considering that, but as creating Forts wouldn't be possible in time-scale we've choosen (battalions/3 turns per day), it isn't in the game.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Its true that time scale for the scens offered prevent the creation of heavy defensive lines but you can allways play with the value of them.

I refer you can define the fortification as something you can build BUT you define the defensive value and time to build it (+ resources and units needed) related with scen... i imagine units can increase their defensive value when you dont move them or even they can build campaign defensive positions (something like Tiller´s improved and trench that units can build) but something between trench and fort could be possible sometimes trenches evolve to be something stronger and better planned for a WWI style combat.

Apart that you can with this use them in longer scens if somebody create a full Africa scen or try a WWI scen.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

For the editor, you can select any turn length, from 3 turns a day to weekly or monthly turns.
You can also have units from platoons to Regiments to Divisions...
So yes, if you wanted to, you could create such a scenario

This is encouraging. It remains to be seen how your WEGO game mechanics and AI scripting would work for a larger operational-scale scenario, but there's potential.
Sure, we were considering that, but as creating Forts wouldn't be possible in time-scale we've chosen (battalions/3 turns per day), it isn't in the game.

Perhaps this could be reconsidered for a post-release enhancement, to support potentially larger scenarios? In the case of the AH Afrika Korps game, Tobruk and its fortifications are only one hex and this may not matter. Sorry, I'm still old-school enough to want a relatively simple, fast-playing North Africa campaign game. This might work OK with your editor. But again, I'm also looking forward to the smaller scale battle scenarios and WEGO implementation. Should be good!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

i imagine units can increase their defensive value when you dont move them or even they can build campaign defensive positions (something like Tiller´s improved and trench that units can build)
Yes, that's right. Units automatically "dig in" if they don't move.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Perhaps this could be reconsidered for a post-release enhancement, to support potentially larger scenarios? In the case of the AH Afrika Korps game, Tobruk and its fortifications are only one hex and this may not matter. Sorry, I'm still old-school enough to want a relatively simple, fast-playing North Africa campaign game. This might work OK with your editor. But again, I'm also looking forward to the smaller scale battle scenarios and WEGO implementation. Should be good!
Sure, we can look at it in future. Add an extra function (there's already a function to Breach Mines) to Combat Engineers to "Create Fortification" and if let "on" for several turns will increase the fortification level of a hex from none -> Entrenchment -> Fort.
Could also add a "lay mines" function too, though more difficult to show as mines can be laid on any of the 6 hexsides.
But yep, it's now on the list of Future Improvements!
Thanks,
Brian
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, have it is not the same as use it... but is not the first game, even with lower scale, where you can create "heavy" defensive works... for example Tiller´s PzC, not a lot years ago add the option for engeniers to improve a trench to bunker... is controlled by a parameter, the chance is very low but with enough of them and turn by turn... is possible do it... same to the ability to lay minefields... but not all the engenier units (some can lay bridge, other are more orientated to combat and remove-create minefiels and have a very limite use to ferry units when are rivers present).

The value of have engine supporting this is create scens more operational if you want... one turn several days, to cover bigger actions in time instead more "tactical" focused.

I think this title with custom scens behind improve sells and help explore other uses for engine... not only inside WWII [:)]

Gribeauval

Post by Gribeauval »

Hi Saint Ruth

what is your opinion of the Artificial Intelligence of the game ?
When the free version of this game was available, you said that it was difficult to create the AI. Did you work again on it ? did you succeed in improving it ?

Regards.
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Will there be a campaign option or extended scenario covering the whole period eventually?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: Gribeauval

Hi Saint Ruth

what is your opinion of the Artificial Intelligence of the game ?
When the free version of this game was available, you said that it was difficult to create the AI. Did you work again on it ? did you succeed in improving it ?

Regards.
Hi, yes indeed, we've been working a lot on the AI. It's very much improved and during beta hopefully we'll keep on improving it!
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: xj900uk

Will there be a campaign option or extended scenario covering the whole period eventually?
We'll see how this goes first. For the future, who knows!

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”