Air supply questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Searry

Air supply questions

Post by Searry »

Can I fly supply to a HQ which then distributes the fuel and supplies to the troops or do I have to directly fly the supply to the troops?
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
gmtello

RE: Air supply questions

Post by gmtello »

If the hq has supply and fuel will try to distribute( Many people prefer to transfer fuel right to the panzers is safer)
Searry

Post by Searry »

Safer how?
glvaca

Post by glvaca »

follow-up question on this, I've tried using an airfield (attached to the same army) but it seems still a lot of supplies/fuel is lost. Do I need to stack the airbase with a Corps? Do I need to select the AF as destination or is it better to use the Corps?

Thx!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I think safer is meant in the sense you can be sure it will go to that unit and not one of the others in the HQ's command.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Searry

Post by Searry »

Very often transports do not want to transport fuel and I would really like to transport it. Bombers can't do it either for some reason. I really can't figure out what causes the transports not wanting to transport fuel. It just says aircraft unavailable, or even does nothing when I shift click the HQ or unit. I really hope there would be a comprehensive guide for this as it seems imperative to know and handle well.
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

Safer in the sense that the unit will receive All the fuel required while if receiving it from hq may Not receive 100 per cent
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Earlier versions allowed bombers to supply fuel but the rule was changed.

If transports are not supplying fuel it could be among other reasons
i) they are out of range
ii) their airbase is more than 5 hexes from a rail
iii) they have no fuel on their airbase
iv) the transports are set to nights for a day mission
v) their airbase is in a swamp, rough, heavy woods or urban hex

There are other reasons - let us know if none of these work
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

With the possibility of the hq retaining some part of the fuel . So supplying straight to the unit ensures 48 mps or 50 mps while supplying through hqs the unit will Not get such mps
Searry

Post by Searry »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Earlier versions allowed bombers to supply fuel but the rule was changed.

If transports are not supplying fuel it could be among other reasons
i) they are out of range
ii) their airbase is more than 5 hexes from a rail
iii) they have no fuel on their airbase
iv) the transports are set to nights for a day mission
v) their airbase is in a swamp, rough, heavy woods or urban hex

There are other reasons - let us know if none of these work
i) how to check range? It's not clear like in WITW.
ii) 1 hex away
iii) lots of fuel
iv) set on day
v) clear

The range is 28 hexes. Is it too much for Ju52?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

The way I check is to fly an air fuel mission with the shift on (to select air groups) but try to supply a unit nearby (e.g infantry 1 hex away). If it shows the screen asking you to select airgroups for the manual mission press cancel - and you know it is a range issue. If not you know it is another issue. Quicker than counting hexes and confirms a diagnosis better too.

Also just to confirm - the rail that is 1 hex away, what is its damage status, is it fully repaired?
Searry

Post by Searry »

It's Axis rail with no damage.
EDIT: Also the JU52's have ran 56% of missions allowed. Shift clicking now does nothing after being moved to a 5 off rail hex.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Even with 56% of miles flown they should be good for more. How many aircraft are still ready rather than reserved or damaged?

Try the simulation with a nearby unit - it is a good way of establishing if it is range rather than something else. The range does sound OK.

When you try to do the air mission do you have an airbase selected (unit card on right of screen) or nothing selected?
Searry

Post by Searry »

I'll answer yes to all questions. 12 are ready 16 in reserve and 3 are damaged.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Ah the airbase selected can cause issues.

Try the manual mission to a nearby unit (remembering to cancel) with both the airbase selected and nothing selected (click on a nearby empty hex so no unit cards appear on right). Let us know the result.

The airbase selected, does it have other airbases in the same hex? If so do they have ID numbers higher than the airbase with the transports you are trying to use (army airbases are a particular problem as their IDs are always higher).
ORIGINAL: Searry
12 are ready 16 in reserve and 3 are damaged.

In your air doctrine what is your percent required to fly? Try putting it to zero before you try to simulate a manual mission - you can always put it back again after you cancel.
Searry

Post by Searry »

Okay I put percent required to fly to 10, selected the airfield with the transports only and then shift clicked the panzer division and the refuel mission worked!
Two airbases were higher. there were 3 airbases in the hex.
Thanks so much for your help! This game is so full of unneccessary small problems like this.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Searry.
Thanks so much for your help! This game is so full of unneccessary small problems like this.

No worries - for all the joys of the game there are immense frustrations. We have all been through this one!

Have you used transports for para drops yet? If not you will remember this as being easy. On older versions when grizzled veterans tried to drop parachutists they have been known to cry.
Searry

Post by Searry »

Not yet. Germans do have the one airlanding division but I don't think I would need paradrops for except maybe in some weird partisan situation. Drop the 3 brigades somewhere one by one, sounds like hell on earth.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

The airbase shall not move before sending a ressuply mission. And groups inside shall have 0 mileage.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Searry
Germans do have the one airlanding division but I don't think I would need paradrops for except maybe in some weird partisan situation. Drop the 3 brigades somewhere one by one, sounds like hell on earth.

Ah may be a good time to tell you the airlanding division does not para drop - historically true but far from clear in the manual. You have to wait for the arrival of a "flieger" division. But that is for another time and thread.....and hell does not begin to describe it.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”