Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

RE: August 1944

Post by John 3rd »

On Xargun's ground losses question, I would say--to this point--my losses have been pretty light. There has been MANY ground campaigns (Burma, Sumatra, Celebes, etc...) where I've had heavy combat and then been able to fully rebuild/replenish my losses.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I will have to think on the tank picture. Quick guess is that you have tank units upgrades off; hence you have no demand for the type 3, and subsequently haven't made any....

I can't explain why the type 3 doesn't show up any other way.

Stockpile those tractors![:)]

In fact stockpile every vehicle except type 3 tanks.

Set tank units to upgrade.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

The worm has turned in Formosa. I am starting to withdraw my Fighters. The combination of Naval Bombardments and seeing 144 Liberators and 135 B-29s this day has made my mind up. Action:

Taihoku 46 Fighters vs. 7 Sweeps, 144 Liberators, and then 4 more Sweeps. A Night bombardment by 7 DDs added to this mess.

Kagi 43 Fighters vs. 3 Sweeps, 48 B-29, and two more Sweeps. Bombardment by 3 DDs.

Hengchun Two Sweeps and then 87 B-29.

Takao 13 Fighters vs. 3 Sweeps and then some Liberators.

Attachments
08-04-44b.jpg
08-04-44b.jpg (362.8 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

On Xargun's ground losses question, I would say--to this point--my losses have been pretty light. There has been MANY ground campaigns (Burma, Sumatra, Celebes, etc...) where I've had heavy combat and then been able to fully rebuild/replenish my losses.

so how many IDs worth of replenishment do you think you have done? Just trying to figure out how many IDs 250k rebuilds. I have no experience in late war and am wondering on the amount of Veh and Arm points I may need.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

In a small glimmer of good things, Japan still hold Darwin and Fenton, AUST. The 7th Australian Infantry Brigade is stunned to get pounded by 60 Japanese Medium Bombers and then get attacked by the 90th Japanese Inf Regiment. The Aussies are tough but taken by surprise. They succumb to a 2-1 attack and are driven out losing nearly 1,000 Casualties. The Infantry Reg pursues wanting one more smack at the Aussies.

Fenton is important as air search flies NE and East from their watching Allied shipping movements.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I am totally amazed that the Allies tried to win the air war there for several days without naval bombarding. I believe every base is subject to bombardments.

Even with today's losses you did outstanding there![:)]

If you still have supplies, and the runways ever repair...there is a possibility of using it for a one off aerial strike.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

For some reason Allied SS have disappeared around Soerabaja, Balikpapan, and Ternate: NICE!

The Kido Butai moves this turn to protective range of Ternate and the convoy carrying 8,000 men begins its run to the beleaguered base. If we can unload and rop off supplies several bombardments may follow with an assault following. There is hope on severely damaging the Allied ID laying siege to that base.

In two days the combined Tanker Fleet will begin its move...

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I am totally amazed that the Allies tried to win the air war there for several days without naval bombarding. I believe every base is subject to bombardments.

Even with today's losses you did outstanding there![:)]

If you still have supplies, and the runways ever repair...there is a possibility of using it for a one off aerial strike.

My thoughts exactly! Supply is still pretty good with over 100,000 spread around the island.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Xargun

so how many IDs worth of replenishment do you think you have done? Just trying to figure out how many IDs 250k rebuilds. I have no experience in late war and am wondering on the amount of Veh and Arm points I may need.

Damn Xargun--I have no idea. I know that I used 12 ID in the Burma and Sumatra Campaign. They all needed rebuilding when done. Six were used in the Celebes with rebuilding afterwards. Everything being destroyed in Luzon is being brought back and restored. That is probably six-seven more.

That is stuff just off the top of my head.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Knowing that all bets are off starting August 15th, I have moved a Night-Fighters unit to every major base where I have Engines and major amounts of Airframes being produced for SAM, FRANK, and TONY-100. Presently this list includes Maebishi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Hamamatsu, Gifu, and Harbin. Supporting the air units are a minimum of 5-6 AA units at each location.

Anything else I can use gang?

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Decent leaders, not the crappy ones AND make sure your radar is the latest available.
[center]Image[/center]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Also, not all AAA is created the same. AAA consisting of AAA machine gun squads will do zip diddly against massed high altitude Allied bombers. You need the 120mm, 88mm or some such large caliber guns that can get to altitude.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Party Balloons... for low flyers

Balloons
The Balloon effect is determined by maximum value of (a) plus (b) below. The overall maximum of the sum is 9.
(a) Balloons are present in a base if the AF + port > 6. The value is the fort level of the hex.
(b) Balloons can be added to a base/LCU by creating a device of type BALLOON. The value is the number of devices. [not currently in use]

They affect aircraft flying below 6000'.

Twin-engine or higher planes increase the number of balloons by 4.

Balloon level is not reported but is usually the fort level if the combined value of the base is >6.
Pilot experience should help to avoid balloons (except for the bug I just found which is not always using the right pilot!!!)

Hopefully the bug has been put outside

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

WHOOPPSS!!! a Clone

Insano

Post by Insano »

Knowing that all bets are off starting August 15th, I have moved a Night-Fighters unit to every major base where I have Engines and major amounts of Airframes being produced for SAM, FRANK, and TONY-100. Presently this list includes Maebishi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Hamamatsu, Gifu, and Harbin. Supporting the air units are a minimum of 5-6 AA units at each location.

Anything else I can use gang?

You need to add Tokyo and Osaka to that list factories or no just because of the sheer amount of industry there. If he whacks your supply sources you'll be hurting.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

At first the Allies might target more than one base...or he might go for a monster attack on one target (Osaka or Tokyo).

One squadron of 18 NF won't stand up to wave after wave.

You will need to augment your night fighters with daytime fighters and even float planes.

Normally you will want to assign CAP to a range greater than 0...but watch your fatigue.

Check your detection levels...without high detection most night bombing will fail with only modest resistance on your part. Harbin is a base I think that probably needs minimal protection early on...unless you have evidence it is being targeted?

You want AA at every base that has Victory Points...no free raids ever. Make sure you have overlapping CAP, lots of radar and searchlights, and the TOE is upgraded on all units. Yoko and Hiroshima both have generous amounts of 12 cm AA guns if you upgraded them.

Leaders everywhere need to be good....

Minimal supply...move stockpile to the east somewhere it won't spoil.

Can't do better since I don't know what is under recon, or even the distribution of the industry in this mod.

VP from factories, resources, oil, refineries, manpower, industry, production plants. High manpower cities burn, and burn, and burn. The vast majority of your HI is in 3 cities (I think).

You need to read and understand your TOE, devices, etc.

Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Damn Xargun--I have no idea. I know that I used 12 ID in the Burma and Sumatra Campaign. They all needed rebuilding when done. Six were used in the Celebes with rebuilding afterwards. Everything being destroyed in Luzon is being brought back and restored. That is probably six-seven more.

That is stuff just off the top of my head.

Don't sweat it. I was just poking for as much info as I can get to what to expect in late game. The info you provided is still very useful to me. Thanks
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

We're gonna have time to work on this because Dan is leaving early tomorrow on a trip and then I leave Friday afternoon. Wed--Thurs shall be high level EXEC Conferencing team. We're gonna work this stuff and get it DONE and RIGHT!

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Good Morning All.

Dan's family had a trip and my family just got back from our Memorial Day swing into Kansas to ride a train and see Grandma. Have got a turn sitting in the in box and am about to run it.

Time to get back at it. That is IF you guys don't mind!

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Time to get back at it. That is IF you guys don't mind!

Not at all. Proceed. Thank you for deigning to keep us informed, your highness. [:'(]

Return to “After Action Reports”