The Dam Busters

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

decaro

The Dam Busters

Post by decaro »

Official: You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. They're worth their weight in gold. Do you really think the authorities will lend you one? What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington?

Barnes Wallis: Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that might help?

"The Dam Busters is a 1955 British film starring Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave. The story of the Dam Busters is one which brings out several features of the British — the sophistication of their engineering innovation, the bravery of their armed forces, the incompetence of their leaders and their unerring ability to be first in a technical field...."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... Dambusters

This is a very interesting critique of a classic war film that is sure to interest Matrix members, esp. from those from the UK.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
durangokid

RE: The Dam Busters

Post by durangokid »

Excellent old black and white war film. The country was broke and rationing finally ended in 1954 after 14 years. The country was ready for feel-good stories of patriotism, heroics and how the war was won with a stiff upper lip.

Today, some may view them as a little jingoistic and dated, but they are films of their times. Like similar films, The Cruel Sea, The Colditz Story, Reach For The Sky and others, they are unsentimental and made by the people who actually fought in the war.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

And an interesting Solitaire board game: [:)]
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/142 ... uster-raid
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

It's a very enjoyable film although I prefer the fictional, more action oriented films, of the Sixties. For something completely different starring Michael Redgrave check out Dead of Night. It's an old B&W British horror film but I remember it really frightened me when I saw it as a child. [:)]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037635/
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Peter Jackson has been planning a remake for ages. He keeps getting sidetracked.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: durangokid

Excellent old black and white war film. The country was broke and rationing finally ended in 1954 after 14 years. The country was ready for feel-good stories of patriotism, heroics and how the war was won with a stiff upper lip.

Today, some may view them as a little jingoistic and dated, but they are films of their times. Like similar films, The Cruel Sea, The Colditz Story, Reach For The Sky and others, they are unsentimental and made by the people who actually fought in the war.
warspite1

+1
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
sprior

Post by sprior »

As a kid (I would have been about 9) we visited the Mohne dam as a family. We were about half way across and my dad says in a loud voice, "If you see any planes flying down the lake - run". My old man wasn't very subtle.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: sprior

As a kid (I would have been about 9) we visited the Mohne dam as a family. We were about half way across and my dad says in a loud voice, "If you see any planes flying down the lake - run". My old man wasn't very subtle.
My Dad used to get me out of bed on the weekend by kicking my bedroom door open and shouting "Juden raus!, Juden raus! (Jews out!, Jews out!)" Then he'd make the howling sound of a diving Stuka and "strafe" me in bed with his fingers. He was a bit of a nutter but he got me into military history, so I'll cut him a break [;)]

Actually, Juden Raus was a 1936 Nazi children's boardgame...from Wiki

The game was advertised as "entertaining, instructive and solidly constructed." The game's equipment includes a pair of dice, a game board, and several game piece figurines with large pointed hats meant to represent Jews.

Players take turns rolling the dice and moving their "Jews" across the map toward "collection points" outside the city walls for deportation to Mandate Palestine. Written on the game board, it says "If you manage to see off 6 Jews, you’ve won a clear victory!"

How jolly. At least at that stage they weren't considering industrial mass slaughter.

There were actually several Nazi boardgames to while away the time in the air-raid shelters while your Thousand Year Reich got pounded to rubble [:'(]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_board_games

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

There were actually several Nazi boardgames to while away the time in the air-raid shelters while your Thousand Year Reich got pounded to rubble [:'(]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_board_games

Cheers, Neilster

[:D]

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

And an interesting Solitaire board game: [:)]
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/142 ... uster-raid

It´s the first thing that crossed my mind when I red the title [;)]

Great solitaire game, it get´s you into the role. You even have to decide if you want to abort the dive. You also have "Jinx" the dog with you!

--

Return to “General Discussion”