Great game, but too many crashes

The King or the Parliament? Choose your side and take command of the Cavaliers armies or the Roundheads and the Covenanters.
FrankieITA

Great game, but too many crashes

Post by FrankieITA »

The game itself is good, AGE works very well in this historical context: unit density is low and you have to follow certain rules, it reminded me of the good old WIA2.

The civil war campaign needs some tweaks but IMHO is working prefectly fine. Remember to deactivate automatic reserve orders and you'll have perfectly manageable money/WS issues. Playing as Parliament is sometimes tricky as you have to quickly isolate and destroy royalist stacks before they became death stacks, it's a costant hurry, sometimes the AI bring you to a winter showdown, sometimes they simply concentrate and follow your biggest force.
I've found difficult to keep the royalist forces at bay when Irish units went back to Britain, but I think this is somehow WAD.

Too bad historical forces are not possible in the campaign, I'd like to suggest to add a few scenarios to feed our historical hunger; I'd love to play a scenario about the cromwellian invasion of Ireland, that would be easy to add as Ireland is already on the map.

Talking about the bad things, the game has resulted, after a whole campaign, too much crashy.
What started as a minor hiccup every now and them has become a routine every 4-5 turns. After a couple of days playing I had to reinstall because the game would not start...It's becoming common to have newly released games by AGEOD with instability issues, I hope that whathappened for WIA2 would happen for this game alike: game at release was a little buggy but after a few patches it became a really stable and enjoyable game.
DEB

RE: Great game, but too many crashes

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: frankieITA

Too bad historical forces are not possible in the campaign,

Why Not ???
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I play on a really low spec laptop machine with 1.7 ghz and HD graphics and it works fine when I turn Windows Defender off. This makes it scroll OK. So I do this and turn Windows Defender back on when I want to go back to the internet etc.

There's a thread else where about this and you can make the ECW.exe an exception which is a better longer term solution.

I'm enjoying the game.

FrankieITA

Post by FrankieITA »

It's nice to hear that there are tweaks if stability becomes an issue...but last time I checked other games are not requiring to shut off your firewall or to give exeptions.
Good games out there are plain and simple install-and-play, sometimes a little patch is needed, but nowadays to play on a PC is easy as using home consoles in the '90s.
Many persons, for reasons of safety or because they're sharing the hardware with others, are not willing to get into those modifications, so for them the most recent AGEOD games are almost unplayable and you have to face criticism and refound flame on the forum.
In my experience it's bearable but annoying, a game that crashed every 4-5 turns for me is not a stable one. Last game edited by AGEOD that had no issues at all (almost, sometimes a little hiccup is allowed)was Espana 36, after that the AGE started to pay toll for it's age and every release was more tricky than the previous.

Answering DEB, historical forces with the parliament are not possible because of resource management: not enough WS,early in the campaign not enough money, you'll be worried by the replacement chits and you have little or nothing to spare for recruiting. New model Army event at the moment seems an useless waste of EP, I've been able to buy only one 4 battallion regiment and it ain't got converted, only a few cavalry did after a few turns. Historical OOB like the new model army are simply difficult (or impossible) to assemble.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

these are something no developer can predict as it only takes one update on a O/S to upset the applecart, same goes for any other program installed, it's how quick a given error gets fixed and atm it's not been a few days and all upto yet have been answered and almost all fixed or solved or added to be re created and then fixed in a patch for a later date asap

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (174.66 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

next

or post the AV your using as someone will post a link on how to alter it for you, as there all different
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 256 times
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

People with a low tolerance of errors and bugs should steer away from early versions of anything new.

This applied to steam engines which exploded and aeroplanes that crashed just as it applies to software now.

But then you miss out on the new new. Who knows how life and death will work out?

After all, the "early bird gets the worm" but "the second mouse gets the cheese."
julianbarker

Post by julianbarker »

It is futile to expect perfection in anything. But as someone with over 25 years experience of behind the scenes alpha and beta testing of business and games software I understand the difference between products released for teting, and those ready for commercial release.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

ORIGINAL: julianbarker

It is futile to expect perfection in anything. But as someone with over 25 years experience of behind the scenes alpha and beta testing of business and games software I understand the difference between products released for teting, and those ready for commercial release.

"teting" - are you sure you aren't doing this deliberately?
DEB

Post by DEB »

Give the guy a break...
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: julianbarker

This is the second time this suggestion has been made, and I tend to agree with it here.

[ Quite common with matrix games I believe. I had hoped for better when Slitherine got involved... ]
FrankieITA

Post by FrankieITA »

Here's some new pearl from the game: I started a new campaign for the Parliament side, suddenly when clicking the advance turn button, a window popped up telling me that the player opponent (???) has not yet submitted the turn orders and asked if I wanted to give the royalist side to the AI...I checked yes and the turn resolved...into another crash.
When I tried to reload the campaign it loaded an old turn (like 10-15 turns before).
I was playing with administrator rights and I've edited the settings file,I've excluded the .exe from windows defender and virus scanner, don't know really what to do more, but don't ask me to turn off firewalls or scanners, I won't do it to please a not-yet-ready videogame.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no one as asked you to turn a program off, just add an exemption to it, as AV programs at times can be over fussy and sometimes, not always scan when you're not gaming or at worse scans when your gaming, which then slows the program or game down or both, at worse crashes it, as 2 programs can't use the same file, same as a memory address can't be used twice, as it's a conflict.

if it still crashes, then something else on your pc and setup is in conflict, it's that simple, now to find out what and why is another thing, best advice is take it to tech support and ask, but more details will be needed for a solution to be given

Melric

Post by Melric »

My is consistently crashing too - about every 30 or so minutes. I have the exclusion and logbatch edited. Game is playable, just crashes to desktop. Also, if I leave it up on my computer and walk away for 10+ minutes . . . crash. When it crashes, I sometimes have to reboot to be able to run the program again.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I've often got "burst error" or some such if I leave games running and the PC shuts down/sleeps/hibernates or whatever if nothing happens for 10-15 minutes.

Return to “English Civil War”