Scuttle

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gmtello

Scuttle

Post by gmtello »

Have An cvl on heavy fire anchored At harbour. Ship page offer chance of Scuttle . What is the best option. The ship is active
patrickl

RE: Scuttle

Post by patrickl »

Do you have a US Navy Command HQ in hex like South Pacific or Fifth Fleet? If yes, change leader to one with very high naval rating, you might get fire down. Move AG, AR into the port - it helps to save the ship. I never scuttle ships.
Banner designed by rogueusmc
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

there is a VP difference if you scuttle rather than letting it burn to sinking.

if the ship is due to withdraw you can avoid the PP penalty for failure to withdraw.

if the ship sinks there is a chance the commander is killed also.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rms1pa

there is a VP difference if you scuttle rather than letting it burn to sinking.

if the ship is due to withdraw you can avoid the PP penalty for failure to withdraw.

if the ship sinks there is a chance the commander is killed also.

rms/pa
You give up 10% fewer VPs if you scuttle it.
I think scuttling ensures the captain survives.

A lot depends on the size of the port (it assists with firefighting while disbanded).
And of course there are rolls of the dice. I have seen ships with Sys damage in the low ninetys and fire in the mid ninetys survive (barely), and others with much lower damage numbers burn up.
If you do save the ship, expect it to need a very long repair time, including months in situ getting the system damage down before you can move it to better facilities. Patience is a needed virtue in this game.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

If a Japanese ship has heavy fires and is that close to sinking there probably is little chance you can save it-even under the best of circumstances. As said above there are a few minor benefits of scuttling a ship but it is really not much of a big deal if you do or don't
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
If you do save the ship, expect it to need a very long repair time, including months in situ getting the system damage down before you can move it to better facilities. Patience is a needed virtue in this game.

+1000000000

Great Gobs of Grief struck this home to me in my first PBEM game.

After serious carrier exchange in the Solomons, Soryu staggers into Rabaul with about 65 pts of system damage, float damage somewhere in the 30's. I CAPPED Rabaul heavily for a few weeks to try and get the damage down and sweated each turn fearing the 4-E beasties concentrating for port strikes.

I got the float down to just under 30 and sys damage down to the low 50s, then tried to run to Babeldaob.
About 3 turns later I get a message that the repairs failed, she 'opened up to the sea' and sank. (shudder)

I would have been better off waiting another 2-3 weeks to get that sys damage down closer to 40.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”