All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

shunwick

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Thank you for conducting, and posting, this experiment. [&o] [:)]

To bad about the bug that made the board offering money that Braintree never could pay.

Yes, it was a strange bug but since I was only running that save for one season it didn't really effect anything. Glad you enjoyed it, it was fun for me to do.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Ok. In the biggest game of the weekend... National League South Playoff Final... Ebbsfleet 2 Chelmsford 1.

I am sure the Chelmsford players are sick as parrots and the Chelmsford fans are distraught, probably suicidal, and crying into their dry martinis.

It's all very sad....

Best wishes,
Steve
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Regarding what Warspite said about Hope a few posts back...
Now HOPING Liverpool wins their last, and that City only wins one of theirs...

Hope and football...
[8|]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Nooooo

We want BOTH City and Liverpool to win theirs! Please...please....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Do you see Wembley as being a problem for Spurs next season?

Best wishes,
Steve
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Best wishes,
Steve

For me, I think its been overstated. In previous seasons the various Wembley semis have been games that Spurs were lucky to reach in the first place.

This season, well Monaco went on the CL semis and have just won the French league from the financially doped PSG. The match against Genk was one of those odd games that can happen. The semi with Chelsea was typical of the very fine lines that make the difference in such big critical games. The only really dire performance was Leverkusen.

And while WHL has been a bit of a fortress for the last 4-5 seasons in truth before that Spurs were as capable of collapse at home as away. So I think that is more a reflection of the rapidly improving team not the ground. On the other hand, like Upton Park it was always a tight ground and if the crowd were so minded, could be uplifting.

The key gap this season has been away form at the rest of the top seven. If I recall that was 3 draws and 3 losses. The draw at Man C was lucky, the defeats at Man U and Liverpool were pretty one sided (against Spurs). But the rest again were games of fine margins. Turning that around will be key (I think) and buying well to strengthen the overall squad.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Best wishes,
Steve

For me, I think its been overstated. In previous seasons the various Wembley semis have been games that Spurs were lucky to reach in the first place.

This season, well Monaco went on the CL semis and have just won the French league from the financially doped PSG. The match against Genk was one of those odd games that can happen. The semi with Chelsea was typical of the very fine lines that make the difference in such big critical games. The only really dire performance was Leverkusen.

And while WHL has been a bit of a fortress for the last 4-5 seasons in truth before that Spurs were as capable of collapse at home as away. So I think that is more a reflection of the rapidly improving team not the ground. On the other hand, like Upton Park it was always a tight ground and if the crowd were so minded, could be uplifting.

The key gap this season has been away form at the rest of the top seven. If I recall that was 3 draws and 3 losses. The draw at Man C was lucky, the defeats at Man U and Liverpool were pretty one sided (against Spurs). But the rest again were games of fine margins. Turning that around will be key (I think) and buying well to strengthen the overall squad.
I certanly hope that Spurs can think of Wembley as home for the next season otherwise they face a season of away games.

Best wishes,
Steve
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

EVERY PREMIER LEAGUE FAN IN 90 SECONDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAfgc2I_aCA

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Yes, I think its potentially a major problem. There are two reasons for this:

a) I have supported Tottenham Hotspur for almost 50-years and so am well versed in the little dance we weave from time to time. We have had a pretty successful couple of years (albeit without any silverware to show for it) and I must now expect Spurs to revert to type, prove incapable of keeping together any sort of consistent run and collapse, Leicester like, next season - albeit without the Foxes improvement in form that saved them from the drop post Ranieri - once Poch is sacked in February and under new incompetent management we slide into Championship oblivion.

b) Poch will need to get the boys in for pre-season early, decide what size pitch they are going to create at Wembley, and train like hell. It would also be nice if we can do our transfer business before the season starts. Chelsea, City and United will be stronger next season, Arsenal and Liverpool will not be standing still either, and in Ronald Koeman I believe Everton has a really good manager. Next year will be tough, we need to get to grips with Wembley from the outset..

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Hope and football...
[8|]
warspite1

Well this experience is not new for Arsenal. Once before they went into the last game of the season knowing that Champions League qualification was out of their hands. They were fortunate then as the team that could deny them were Spursey...who duly acted in Spursey fashion...

So the big questions? Home. To hapless Middlesbrough. Are Liverpool(y) the new Spursey? Will Arsenal make it to the CL once again? Arsenal don't have an easy one against Everton but they are at home so Liverpool have to assume they will win.

That means Liverpool have to beat Middlesbrough, a team that has trouble scoring goals and have nothing to play for. No pressure then Mr Klopp.....

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Hope and football...
[8|]
warspite1

Well this experience is not new for Arsenal. Once before they went into the last game of the season knowing that Champions League qualification was out of their hands. They were fortunate then as the team that could deny them were Spursey...who duly acted in Spursey fashion...

So the big questions? Home. To hapless Middlesbrough. Are Liverpool(y) the new Spursey? Will Arsenal make it to the CL once again? Arsenal don't have an easy one against Everton but they are at home so Liverpool have to assume they will win.

That means Liverpool have to beat Middlesbrough, a team that has trouble scoring goals and have nothing to play for. No pressure then Mr Klopp.....
A playoff for third place would be fun. Watford v Manchester City 3-3, Liverpool v Middlesbrough 3-1....

Bookies are offering 595-1 for that scenario....

Worth a quid? It's looks unlikely...

Best wishes,
Steve
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Hope and football...
[8|]
warspite1

A playoff for third place would be fun. Watford v Manchester City 3-3, Liverpool v Middlesbrough 3-1....

Bookies are offering 595-1 for that scenario....

Worth a quid? It's looks unlikely...

Best wishes,
Steve

Nononononnonon!
City would win that one for sure. But then again, Liverpool will probably fumble at Anfield against Boro anyway...
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Orm

Post by Orm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39959232

Naughty Ormster [:-]
[:(] [:@]

A sad day for Swedish Football. Although, somehow, it is a good day for Swedish Football since this attempt appear to have failed.

I had planned to go with some friends to a pub to watch the match. Now I seek comfort in watching Ice Hockey.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Kane
Son
Chilwell
Kane
Son
Kane
Kane

So there you are... Spurs managing to scrape a win at Leicester 1-6 to keep their hopes of avoiding relegation alive as they go into the last game of the season. Can they do it?

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Phew... I was a bit worried for about 10-15 mins in the second half that we were going to lose that.

Gotta love Janssen - I really hope he stays and it all starts to come good for the guy.

Still no official word on what is happening vis-a-vis the pitch size next year - which is frustrating.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Meanwhile on the play-off front

Great news in League 2:

Blackpool vs Exeter City final. Prefer Exeter but Blackpool would be good too so a no-lose situation.

While in the Championship its not so good....

Four teams. One of the three: Fulham, Huddersfield Town or Sheffield Wednesday would be good to see promoted, but two have fallen by the wayside already and easily the worst of those three faces Reading in the final.

As for League 1

Less fussed frankly but - come on Bradford!

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

I would be happy for Blackpool but that club is at Civil War with itself. It is unclear how many Blackpool fans will will turn up at Wembley.

Best wishes,
Steve
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Brad Quinton and Andy Porter have been named as the new manager and assistant manager of Braintree Town. Both former Braintree players, Brad Quinton is something of a legend here, they have formed a very good partnership at Enfield Town in the Ryman League over the past 3 or 4 years. Essentially, Braintree have done to Enfield what Lincoln did to Braintree... pinched their management team. All's fair in love and football...

The news has been greeted with enthusiasm by Braintree supporters who believe that the pair have what it takes to stabilize the club in the National League South. It will not be easy. For the second season running, Braintree will have to rebuild their entire squad...

This is the CLub's Press Release concerning the news...

Iron appoint new Manager

Building for the future

Braintree Town have appointed their new manager. Re-joining the Club is Brad Quinton, who will be working with another former Iron Andy Porter as his assistant manager. Brad will need no introduction to the Braintree faithful, as he spent twelve successful seasons at Cressing Road. Brad finished his Iron career as the Club's record appearance holder with an amazing 546 competitive appearances, during which he scored 69 goals! Brad's time as a player was synonymous with success and included: a Ryman League play-off place, a Ryman League championship, a Conference South play-off final and a Conference South championship! Andy Porter was also an important part of those successful Braintree sides, playing nearly 200 games for the club between 2003 and 2009! Brad and Andy spent the past three years managing Ryman Leaguers Enfield, where they guided the North London side to the Ryman League play-offs last season.

Chairman Lee Harding was delighted with the appointment: "We've had some excellent applicants and I must thank all for their interest in our Club. But Brad is someone that has been instrumental in building our Club from the foot of the Ryman League to the top tier of non-League football from 2002 to 2013. But while I'm sure we will all welcome a true Iron back to our Club, his appointment is based entirely on merit. Were it not for coming across the same Dulwich side that beat us in the FA Trophy last season in his play-off match, Brad could well have taken his Enfield side into our division. His desire and enthusiasm for our Club is infectious and I sense that this move is something of a home-coming for him. But realism at the IronmongeryDirect Stadium dictates that we must not gloss over the challenges that lie ahead of us. The majority of last season's relegated side have been released and another re-building process will begin afresh. Fortunately Brad has been an integral part of many successful Braintree sides and knows exactly what is needed to turn our fortunes around after two disruptive campaigns. From the Board Room, Brad will receive our support and patience. We are not expecting, or looking for, a one-season wonder - but a return to the successful formula that brought consistent success to the Club over many years. We are all looking forward to the journey."

Brad is keen to get work underway: "I'm really looking forward to coming back to a club where I played for most of my career. I'm really enjoying management and it feels right to come back to a club where I spent so many enjoyable years. Both Andy Porter and I are looking forward to seeing many familiar faces. We've got a lot of work ahead of all of us, but it's a league I know well, have won as a player, and I'm looking forward to the season. To the supporters, so many of whom have become close friends over the past 15 years, your support and patience will be vital as there's a long journey ahead of us. I'll be looking to bring in good quality young players that will be fit, hungry and 100% committed. Things won't always go our way, that's football, but everyone in the dressing room will be entirely focused on bringing success, so it's important that everyone gets behind us."

The Club have agreed matchday and season ticket prices for next season.

Adult matchday tickets will be reduced by 18% from an average of £17 last season to £14. Concessionary match day tickets for OAPs and students will be reduced by 17% from £12 to £10, while admission for under 16s will be simplified to cover all youngsters and will also be reduced by 17% from £6 to £5. All spectators can either sit in the seats or stand on the terraces.

Season tickets for the 21 league matches will be split between those purchased on or before Sunday 4th June and those thereafter. For adults, season tickets purchased on or before Sunday 4th June will be offered a 19% discount, with Adults season tickets £240.00 (or just £11.42 a match) and concession season tickets £170.00 (or just £8.09 a match). Season tickets for under 18s will be just £21.00 (or £1 a match), with each ticket including a voucher for a replica first team shirt!

After 4 June adults season tickets will increase to £265.00, concession season tickets £190.00 and under 18s will be just £42.00 (or £2 a match), with each ticket including a voucher for a replica first team shirt.
Chairman Lee Harding commented: "We have balanced the impact of relegation to the South Division with the desire to provide our manager with a competitive playing budget. We've withdrawn the additional £1 surcharge for seating (unless extra-ordinary circumstances dictate the need for additional stewarding during the season) so supporters can sit or stand whereever they please next season! Season tickets for regular supporters offer four of next season's 21 matches FREE if they are purchased at the Club's Open Day on Sunday, 4th June, but still offer savings thereafter. Finally, our thanks go to Jerry Carter for his sponsorship of the special deal to allow all our younger season ticket holders (under 18) to have a free replica first team shirt - let's see a lot or orange around the IronmongeryDirectStadium next season!"

Pre-season friendlies announced so far...

Saturday 15 July Home v Southend United
Tuesday 18th July Bury Town v Away
Saturday 22 July Home v Colchester United
Tuesday 25 July Barnet v Away

Best wishes,
Steve

PS. What is really interesting about the Chairman's comments "... knows exactly what is needed to turn our fortunes around after two disruptive campaigns." I would not have called the 2015/16 season "disruptive" although it certainly was bittersweet.

Braintree were 3rd in the National League last season and only narrowly beaten in the Play-off semi-final against Grimsby.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, envious eyes were watching... and, ultimately, that success ended up ripping the heart out of the club. Perhaps it was disruptive after all... I don't know.

But I am looking forward to the new season with a new management team and new players to to shout for and at... football... whaat can you do?

Return to “General Discussion”