FIFTY SHADES OF WiTE: SILLYFLOWER V BRIANG

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Crackaces

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

Post by Crackaces »

I think the prior focus was that it is over 100 Turns to Berlin and that the German's priority is to dig in and let the Soviets bang there head against a grey wall ..
Since I assume Sillyflower has no intent of an Operation Citadel or anything like that .. the Soviet's will not move much past this current line..

On a more serious note .. the fixed decline in morale is not very fair nor right given that the German produced ahistorical results ..I guess the Wehrmacht is all bummed having taken all of Western Russia and Ukraine and no hope for the Soviets
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

I know but its a quite boring "win" to do peltonesque turn to hex ratio calculations.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

@ Crackaces - I did my Operation Citadel homage in the North - starting rather earlier than even the original planned date.

@ Ewald - Remember this was an ALT VC260 game which did not end automatically due to a bug (now fixed) and so I reckon it was won in Nov '42. I was and remain playing on at Brian's request, and I'm interested in playing the late game as G as I haven't done that before because only 1 previous R opponent has lasted even to Nov '42 before, and he disappeared in summer '43. Anyway, I have said before, I was a lawyer so I like boring [>:].
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

I think the prior focus was that it is over 100 Turns to Berlin and that the German's priority is to dig in and let the Soviets bang there head against a grey wall ..
Since I assume Sillyflower has no intent of an Operation Citadel or anything like that .. the Soviet's will not move much past this current line..

On a more serious note .. the fixed decline in morale is not very fair nor right given that the German produced ahistorical results ..I guess the Wehrmacht is all bummed having taken all of Western Russia and Ukraine and no hope for the Soviets

On a side note, very little discussion focuses on Germany's allies. Even if the Wehrmacht was this successful, how much longer would Finland or Rumania want to keep fighting? At this juncture, there would be no benefit in continuing the fight; they already had what they wanted except for an end to the conflict.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Good point M60. I have no idea what would have happened IRL, but the NM of the axis allies does not change, so currently the inns have the highest NM. This seems a little unlikely.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T115

No attacks of any sort by the Brianites last turn, but only a couple of recce missions. I husband my strength too.

Whilst German national morale has gone down, that of Guderian increased this week. He can clearly see that the Wehrmacht is in safe hands
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T116

Nothing exciting to report. Ground losses for whole turn 1800 to 16K; air 14 to 269 as Brian returns to airbase bombing. He would probably do less damage to the red air force if he bombed his own airfields [:D]

German inf xx start turning to the '44 model even though it is still the summer of '43. Fortunately 31 out of 39 become the much stronger 44a model. The basic 44 model is only 12K strong which will hardly put up much of a fight against a Russian gds rifle xxx, but the 44a version has about 16K IIRC. It would be nicer, and arguably more logical, if all the inf xx became 44a as I've plenty of spare german men (about 170K I think) and arms points (nearly 500K), but it's outside my control
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T116 Stalematesville Arizona.

Attrition losses remain very low - 1800 to 16K but these figures are slightly distorted by returns from the disabled pool. Air 15 to 260 as red airforce bombs to little effect and I can only be bothered to do 1 fighter sweep before pressing F12.

Still - I can't complain as stalemate if my friend. I'm not used to having friends so I must take what I can get..................
web exchange

HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

On a side note, very little discussion focuses on Germany's allies. Even if the Wehrmacht was this successful, how much longer would Finland or Rumania want to keep fighting? At this juncture, there would be no benefit in continuing the fight; they already had what they wanted except for an end to the conflict.

I believe the Soviets would have surrender long before the question of the German allies continuing the fight in this game.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T117

Still all pretty much quiet on the eastern front. Casualties 4.2K axis to 21.7K R. Air 91 (LW bombers making ill-advised GS mission in response to Brian't attack) to 321. I must remember to turn ground support off except when I'm attacking as the losses are disproportionate to the benefit. Gen Wodrig 7th army commander is the next general to improve his morale.

web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T118 Not much ado about nothing (with apologies to the Bard)

losses 3.7K axis (equal to less than half of weekly HIWI production) to 22K so I suspect that there weren't any ground attacks by the Brianites tho' I can't remember. Air 41 to 462. Red air force losses included I153 tac bombers, SB2 bombers and Mig 3 fighters [:D].

Yet another german GM, whose name I did not write down, increased his morale, rebutting the naysayers who seem keen to reduce our national morale.
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T119

Losses 4k to 18.2K so can't have been any ground attacks. Air losses written down as 36 to 44 which must be wrong. Correct figure probably 344 as that would be consistent with other recent turns. 440 is too much to hope for.
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

OOB figures show an alarming rise in Soviet strength during this stalemate period - about 40K per turn - but the Wehrmacht is pretty much at 100% strength and has over 10K German AFVs to try to hold back the hordes when they come.

Attachments
BT119oob.jpg
BT119oob.jpg (525.45 KiB) Viewed 164 times
web exchange

bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

holy moly silly,

i want your german army in my 2 games as Wehrmacht. i propably never saw a german army at 4.3 millions soldiers in any AAR in this stage of the war.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Interesting it is this late and he is still flying MiG-3s.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

This is the other screenie from T119 which I couldn't find yesterday because I had named it wrongly...........

Attachments
BTstrat.jpg
BTstrat.jpg (920.85 KiB) Viewed 164 times
web exchange

Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

holy moly silly,

i want your german army in my 2 games as Wehrmacht. i propably never saw a german army at 4.3 millions soldiers in any AAR in this stage of the war.

To compare, I believe this game is mild blizzard no plus 1 attacks and a home rule against 1:1 and 2:1 attacks. (First page of the AAR) I am not sure as an example the same strategy and play would yield the same outcomes if regular blizzard and +1 attacks as an example. Plus fixed vs random weather.. I might propose that each game has unique combinations of home rules and choices of winter options that set up a unique environment and challenges for both players.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I don't get the 1:1 to 2:1 reasoning???

ps. Does this deny "soak offs"?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

The HRs are the same as Brian had when he was smacking Pelton around so they seemed reasonable for our game. A major patch (.08 or .09) came out in November '41 in game time. That reduced G losses in combat and increased R's when attacking. It also brought in free soviet unit return which is why Brian still has any bits of fake cardboard left.

Post these changes, full fat blizzard is the norm but the no 1:1 to 2:1 option usually remains. No HR banning attacks at 1 or 2 to 1.

@zuluhour - the 1:1 to 2:1 option just changed any combat result where R attacked and when the final result would have been 1.x to 1, to 2.x to 1 so G had to retreat and loss ratios became much more favourable to R. No effect on lower or higher odds. Easier to understand if you stick to tobacco [;)].
web exchange

Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

I don't get the 1:1 to 2:1 reasoning???

ps. Does this deny "soak offs"?

I will not nor am I speaking for Sillyflower .. but WITE is started pretty wacky in calculating casualties that will only really be fixed in WITE 2.0. This rule certainly limits exploiting multiple attacks with a sole purpose of takening advantage of attrition. I await Sillyflower's thoughts.

(Note: Sillyflower beat me to it in the post above)

Return to “After Action Reports”