Help with Pilots Please

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

deadprez

Help with Pilots Please

Post by deadprez »

Hey guys, any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to move the best pilots in West Coast restricted air groups to general reserve and replace them with crappy pilots to train. So... when I go into the pilot screen for the restricted group, I set the selection at the bottom to "reserve" and then click "release 5 pilots" in the "most experienced" row but the top 5 guys don't go to reserve. Instead, the designations on the far right seem to randomly switch between "ON" and "OFF" and the top guy never goes to reserve. So I switch the top pilots to "OFF" under the retain column (or I try to, sometimes it doesn't let me. Sometimes pilots switch to "ON" and turn red). Is there a thorough guide to using this screen?
we got ourselves a gut bustin mother lovin navy war
dcpollay

RE: Help with Pilots Please

Post by dcpollay »

I think "Reserve" is not the right setting to use. This only removes the pilots from duty, but keeps them in the squadron pool. You need to click that selection again to get another choice, I forget what it is called. That choice will send the pilots to the general pilot pool.

Generally, you should be able to set that Retain(?) button OFF for all pilots, or all except one. You are not allowed to get rid of the last pilot if they are the squadron commander who is also a flying pilot. In order to get rid of that last pilot, you need to change the squadron commander to someone who is NOT a flying commander. In your squadron commander list, the flying commanders are the ones with an asterisk. If you choose a commander without an asterisk, you will then be able to keep the commander while rotating all pilots to the general reserve.

Anyone feel free to correct or expand on those details since I don't have the game open in front of me.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

deadprez,

Usually, what you're describing is only an issue with smaller airgroups.

You should be able to 'refill 'em as you take 'em'. In other words, if you can't take 5 at a whack from some of the smaller groups (they need a certain number of pilots before you can take any more for reserve), take one at a time. Take one at a time and then go back out to the main airgroup menu and select another (set to 'replacement') noob for training.

For the larger airgroups that are filled to capacity, you can usually use the 'select 5' or 'select 10' buttons for faster pilot harvest.

ETA: "Reserve" on the pilot menu is the one I use too. Others use "Group", but I find the former better suits my pool generating needs.
deadprez

Post by deadprez »

thanks Fellas- I'm getting the hang of it. You're right- moving them one at a time works for small groups.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

I think "Reserve" is not the right setting to use. This only removes the pilots from duty, but keeps them in the squadron pool. You need to click that selection again to get another choice, I forget what it is called. That choice will send the pilots to the general pilot pool.

Generally, you should be able to set that Retain(?) button OFF for all pilots, or all except one. You are not allowed to get rid of the last pilot if they are the squadron commander who is also a flying pilot. In order to get rid of that last pilot, you need to change the squadron commander to someone who is NOT a flying commander. In your squadron commander list, the flying commanders are the ones with an asterisk. If you choose a commander without an asterisk, you will then be able to keep the commander while rotating all pilots to the general reserve.

Anyone feel free to correct or expand on those details since I don't have the game open in front of me.
No, he had it right. The first selection (default) is called "Group" and that takes the pilots off active status into "Group Reserve". The next selection is just called "Reserve", but it represents the General Reserve. The third selection is called "Active" to return pilots to duty from the Group Reserve.

EDIT: I have tried to micromanage my pilots like that and got frustrated with how long it took, so I don't bother and guess what? The AI will swap pilots in and out of the group when the top ones get high skills and experience. I think if you put the high skills ones in General Reserve and leave the squadron short, the AI will select less skilled pilots to bring in to the squadron as long as it is set for training.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I totally disagree w/BBfanboy. Never let the AI do anything. Also memorize the names of every pilot and their mother's maiden names too. The pilots turning red thing is annoying, just pick fewer than the whole number you want to move. If you want to move eleven, pick "move 10" and you'll usually not get screwed. Always move them to the general reserve so that they are available to you to place either in an active unit or into another training squadron. Let's say you are Allied. You're training SBD air crews. They need to be well trained in naval bombing, naval search and if you are able ground attack. Let's say you have seven guys in a training squadron training for naval search and these seven have reached a skill level of "70" in naval search. Click on "NS" and that will prioritize your list by that specific skill. I never use general skill level unless I'm using transports for general training. Click on 'release the best 5' and then 'release the best one' twice. When some guy turns red you can go up and toggle him back off usually, if you're dead set on moving him. Sometimes the game really fights you trying to make somebody the commander. Go to the squadron screen and spend the PPs to give the squadron a non-flying commander. Then you won't have any trouble after that. I think having flying commanders is a bad idea in any case and eventually I replace them all. Now, you have another squadron training for naval attack that needs some recruits. When you search for them turn off 'fighter' pilots and other types to shorten the list, then prioritize the skill 'NS' and those seven guys will appear near the top so you can pick them for further training.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I have great success with setting pilots to reserve and emptying the squadron in increments of the ten most experienced.

However, the interface will occasionally revert one or several high experience pilots to "not allowed to be withdrawn" (whatever the official designation is I can't recall).

This tends to happen when you get down to the last few pilots.

Simply reset the pilots in question and try the withdrawal again.

The interface will typically always reset the squadron commander to "not allowed to be withdrawn".

Sometimes the interface will eventually allow the removal of all pilots including commander and sometimes it will not allow the removal of the commander no matter how many times you try.

Experimentation on what the interface will and will not facilitate is the best friend you have in teaching you the game.
Hans

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

To reiterate on that commander thing, it might seem to make sense to have a good commander going into combat with his squadron. That's just a good way to get him killed and the AI will replace him with some total knucklehead. You pick your commanders based on their command skills, not their flying skills.

Sometimes when you are looking for a desk-jockey to run a training squadron it's ok to pick some loser you wouldn't put in a plane or in command of an active front line unit.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

One other thing. When you are stocking a unit with pilots never ever select a veteran and then take some from the replacement pool. If you do that in that order the veteran will disappear into wonderland and you'll never see him again. I think that's a bug in the game.

Yakface

Post by Yakface »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I have great success with setting pilots to reserve and emptying the squadron in increments of the ten most experienced.

However, the interface will occasionally revert one or several high experience pilots to "not allowed to be withdrawn" (whatever the official designation is I can't recall).

This tends to happen when you get down to the last few pilots.

Simply reset the pilots in question and try the withdrawal again.

The interface will typically always reset the squadron commander to "not allowed to be withdrawn".

Sometimes the interface will eventually allow the removal of all pilots including commander and sometimes it will not allow the removal of the commander no matter how many times you try.

Experimentation on what the interface will and will not facilitate is the best friend you have in teaching you the game.

There is a way to transfer an active pilot commander of a group. This is particularly useful if he is an adept pilot but useless commander.

First, go to the pilot roster and empty the group of all other pilots to reserve. Still in pilot roster, click on the (red) commanders name in the pilot roster and put him into group reserve. Make a note of his name.

Now go to the group which you want him transferred to (as a pilot) and use the 'request a veteran' button.

In the screen that pops up, top right hand corner set the 'show pool' to Groups => all groups. Find his name and click to transfer him to the new group (he will have a delay of up to 7 days before arriving in the new group). He will now just be an ordinary pilot (no command responsibilities) in his new group, even if he outranks the existing commander.

Important to note that the group in which he started will now have no commander and you will not be able to assign one until you draw in at least one pilot (from replacements is good enough). That new pilot will become the commander can be swapped using PP's as per normal.

deadprez

Post by deadprez »

Thank you so much Fellas. I did feel like the game was "fighting" me sometimes with the pilot movement. I'm realizing the value of non-flying commanders now. But what makes a good non-flying commander?
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

But what makes a good non-flying commander?

His air rating. You may also want decent leadership and inspiration as well.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
deadprez

Post by deadprez »

Will aggressiveness help in any way for a non-flying commander? more planes in the air? more likely to strike?
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: deadprez

Will aggressiveness help in any way for a non-flying commander? more planes in the air? more likely to strike?

May be nothing more than game engine legend but I have always operated under the assumption that an overly aggressive bomber commander may be prone to sending his squadron into disadvantageous CAP situations.
Hans

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: deadprez

May be nothing more than game engine legend but I have always operated under the assumption that an overly aggressive bomber commander may be prone to sending his squadron into disadvantageous CAP situations.

What Hans said. Personally I only change out the worst commanders as PP's are always scarce, at least for me and that's been through '42. We'll see as I finally get further into the game.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

No, he had it right. The first selection (default) is called "Group" and that takes the pilots off active status into "Group Reserve". The next selection is just called "Reserve", but it represents the General Reserve. The third selection is called "Active" to return pilots to duty from the Group Reserve.

EDIT: I have tried to micromanage my pilots like that and got frustrated with how long it took, so I don't bother and guess what? The AI will swap pilots in and out of the group when the top ones get high skills and experience. I think if you put the high skills ones in General Reserve and leave the squadron short, the AI will select less skilled pilots to bring in to the squadron as long as it is set for training.
See, this is what happens when I don't play the game for months at a time. Or try to talk. [:@]

That's two in a row for me. I'll go hide my face for awhile.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”