Question about stockpiling at bases.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lawless1

Post by Lawless1 »

First, my thanks to Alfred for his great Logistic 101 thread, and to the many other forumite who have contributed to the often confusing logistic train.[&o][&o]

Keeping in mind, that demand drives the logistic train, and stockpiling can interrupt the flow of supplies, is there a reason to/or not to stockpile supplies and fuel at England, Canada or EC and Soviet?

Are the supplies generated at the above base, used to meet the needs of interior bases, i.e are they part of the National Automatic?
Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below
Yaab

RE: Question about stockpiling at bases.

Post by Yaab »

Good question. I guess you can safely stockpile in UK 'cause it is just an abstracted island economy. The others I am not sure, but I wouldn't set stockpiling ON there, as the supplies should be pushed to other bases i.e. EC supplies are needed by SF and LA for "export" to the Pacific islands.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

First, my thanks to Alfred for his great Logistic 101 thread, and to the many other forumite who have contributed to the often confusing logistic train.[&o][&o]

Keeping in mind, that demand drives the logistic train, and stockpiling can interrupt the flow of supplies, is there a reason to/or not to stockpile supplies and fuel at England, Canada or EC and Soviet?

Are the supplies generated at the above base, used to meet the needs of interior bases, i.e are they part of the National Automatic?
I don't know if off-base organic supply flows through the respective continents. UK would have no flow. But there's no real need to worry about it either way. Certainly no reason to ever stockpile those off-map bases. So much supply is generated on-map on the west coast you'll never be short after the first 3-4 days of the war. Canada either. The Canada on-map bases do draw across the border from CONUS on-map bases I'm nearly certain. Prince Rupert by the summer of 1942 can have a million supply very easily.

The Soviet supply, if it flows on-map, would only flow to the USSR bases, not to China. You have a very limited range of options for orders to the Soviets pre-activation. I've never been short of the supply I wanted to build infrastructure, which is, besides pilot training and upgrades, about all you can do there for almost the whole GC.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Given the supply production levels of Eastern USA, and how much supply I have there in 1945 (only in the 6-digits at most), it definitely flows west.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

That said, I pretty much never stockpile at bases. The only use I find for it is to keep as many supplies as possible at a base I want to defend or launch raids from (without enough supply, drop tanks aren't available/etc.). But I also only turn it on when I know this will be the case - supplies will pool at the biggest port, for example, or maybe I'm OK with starving my units in the fields.

More often, I will use the supply "spinner" - it is far more useful when it comes to controlling the supply at a base. If a base has 56K supply, for example, and I want to maintain it at 54K for whatever reason, I can just set the spinner up to make the base request 18K supply. Then 2K supply will be available for shipment out to units or other bases. Much prefer this method of supply control.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Given the supply production levels of Eastern USA, and how much supply I have there in 1945 (only in the 6-digits at most), it definitely flows west.

In our game in September 1944 my EC has 2.3 million supply and 23 million fuel. But yeah, I should have looked there for flow. To me the only interesting question here is what the off-map Soviet Union does. And even that, as I said, doesn't seem to have any real operational import for the limited Soviet operations possible pre-activation.
The Moose
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

That said, I pretty much never stockpile at bases. The only use I find for it is to keep as many supplies as possible at a base I want to defend or launch raids from (without enough supply, drop tanks aren't available/etc.). But I also only turn it on when I know this will be the case - supplies will pool at the biggest port, for example, or maybe I'm OK with starving my units in the fields.

More often, I will use the supply "spinner" - it is far more useful when it comes to controlling the supply at a base. If a base has 56K supply, for example, and I want to maintain it at 54K for whatever reason, I can just set the spinner up to make the base request 18K supply. Then 2K supply will be available for shipment out to units or other bases. Much prefer this method of supply control.

+1 nicely stated.

Though I am a rookie comparatively here the only use I have ever found for stockpile as the Allies is: December 41 - i.e. where I want to stockpile supplies in a base such as Oosthaven for example which I will choose to defend to the bitter end. Additionally in Clark Field in the Philippines...

After the onslaught - rarely or never stockpile. I had experimented with Madras briefly but was disabused of this notion recently.[:D]

Generally by the time you actually stockpile - it is highly probable the "front and circumstances" have already moved.

The 'spinners' are the way to go.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

There should be no reason to stockpile at any of those bases. Supply and fuel are never an issue for the Allies. Only in the early game but that is more a problem with logistics rather than amount available.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Lawless1

Post by Lawless1 »

My thanks to everyone for their input
Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

If this hasn't already been said, keep in mind that even when stockpile is set at a base units in 'the field' that may draw supply from that base will. Setting stockpile will not allow supplies to 'flow' to other bases.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”