STILL no AI?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

juntoalmar

RE: STILL no AI?

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

When you consider that five years (we're up to five now, right? I've lost track) the AI for convoy routing still does not work, all the plans in the world are meaningless to me.

I plan to be the first man on Mars. The burden is on you to explain why that won't happen.

Well, exactly. Actually when pzgndr wrote:
After the bug fixes, after the NetPlay implementation, after the other optional rules, and after the half-map scenarios. After all that, Steve will get back to what he has already started and intends to finish

I thought he was being sarcastic (apparently, he wasn't). I love this game, and I think that Steve is doing a great job. After step one from that list is achieved (bug fixes), I will be excited about achieving step two (NetPlay). After step 2 is achieved, I will be excited about step 3... and so on.

But we need to be realistic. It's been quite a few years on step one. I will wait patiently for the plans to become reality before getting excited about the AI. So far, I will be happy if we can finish the bug fixes in a 1-2 years period (and I don't think this is pessimistic).
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Dabrion

RE: STILL no AI?

Post by Dabrion »

AI lol .. good joke! [>:]
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Kull

RE: AI Plans discussion

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

The programmer has a clue how to play the game and I assume is at least decent at it. In addition, the programmer has gotten a lot of input from the MWIF community for strategy, etc. Other computer games really don't get that type of input and feedback. This is possible for MWIF because it is closely based on an existing board game.

Many times "bad AI's" are not a result of poor programing, but rather a result of the programmer not having a clue on how to really play the game they are prepping the AI for or not being very good at it. This all too often results in a "dumb" AI.

That's a very good point. Furthermore:
ORIGINAL: Centuur

To build an AI for this game is the real challenge Steve wants to take on. That's why he started coding this monster in the first place...

So not only does Steve understand the game, writing an AI is something he WANTS to do. And it's not just reading tea leaves - look back at the opening AI posts and it's obvious that Steve had actually STARTED with the AI.
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

IF....you make a decent AI of this game..will be the best game of matrix; as we all love BOARD GAMES
Epsilon Eridani

Viktor_Kormel_slith

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

I am on the no Good AI is possible to MWIF team but like some of you said before, the important thing it is that basic game doesn´t work properly. Last betas are full of bugs, olds and news. I play and enjoy with hotseat mode but the true is that many times, we have to fix or round about bugs. Thinking in the AI when the game is where is it´s like talk about the genre of the angels and much more, if we consider the develpment rate and resources. In fact, I am afraid that sooner than later the game will be out of catalogue and the development cancelled by matrix.[:(]
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I'm one of those who bought the game knowing there was no AI yet but that it would be developed.
I don't play live opponents as my erratic schedule would annoy anyone foolish enough to start a game with me.
I still have hope that my investment will help inspire the developers to carry on.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

I'm one of those who bought the game knowing there was no AI yet but that it would be developed.
I don't play live opponents as my erratic schedule would annoy anyone foolish enough to start a game with me.
I still have hope that my investment will help inspire the developers to carry on.

+1
Richard

Return to “World in Flames”