Optional rule - Brandenburgers?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tom730_slith

Optional rule - Brandenburgers?

Post by tom730_slith »

After playing many hours of solitaire Global War games it seems to me that Germany has the best chance to do really well if they can get their hands on Naval Transports during conquests of minor countries. What would some of you veteran players think of an optional rule that would allow the Germans to build (maybe just one) Brandenburger unit?
My idea would be to charge 1 BP like a division and take 1 turn to build like a Militia. Historically the Brandenburger units were able tom achieve a variety of limited successes out of proportion to their unit size. I would suggest allowing them to be added to a stack of units with the following effects - presence of the unit in a land combat increases the chance that the defending unit will be "flipped" and when part of an attack in a port increases the chance of enemy Naval units being captured. Perhaps a -1 on all ships in a port, or -2 if just ONE ship type is targeted. This would give the Germans a somewhat better chance of adding a Naval Transport or CP which would greatly increase their chances of pulling off Operation Sea Lion later on.
In addition, if the attacking Germans suffer any losses in such an attack the Brandenburger un it would also suffer the same loss.
This way there would be an increased chance of capturing assets by subterfuge along with traditional methods, but also keep the special units highly vulnerable
since any captured by the enemy would be executed immediately - since they'd be wearing enemy uniforms, etc, as they did in real life.
I'm playing around with it as a "house rule" and was interested in others' thoughts.
John B.

RE: Optional rule - Brandenburgers?

Post by John B. »

Tom, would you allow a similar ability/unit for each power?
John Barr
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

Since a big part of their job involved using enemy uniforms & languages I can think of instances historically where the British did so, at least for commando missions. The attack against the heavy water factory in Norway I believe, as well as in North Africa the Desert Rats I believe used that subterfuge. The Japanese would have a huge problem against non-Asian enemies for obvious reasons.
But I wouldn't see a problem - aside from historical accuracy - letting all the powers use it. More than anything it would involve highly trained special forces which all the major powers had.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

There is a Brandenburgers counter in FiF (not part of MWiF afaik). They are a Para division that ignores ZoCs in non-open terrain hexes (like Ski-Divs in snow).
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

I had no idea, thanks!
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

There is a Brandenburgers counter in FiF (not part of MWiF afaik). They are a Para division that ignores ZoCs in non-open terrain hexes (like Ski-Divs in snow).

My hope was to allow them to increase the odds of capturing certain ships, esp AC and TRNS! If not using the Amph option having a couple Naval Transport units makes an early Sea Lion a very real possibility. That in turn has a big impact on GB and her deployment of forces, possibly making Egypt an easier target for Italy early on.
It really could add a lot of new strategic options for the Euro-Axis, and put more pressure on the Allies. I really like it and use it in solitaire play!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”