Tutorial: Where is Brooke

The King or the Parliament? Choose your side and take command of the Cavaliers armies or the Roundheads and the Covenanters.
ncarson

Tutorial: Where is Brooke

Post by ncarson »

I hate to be tacky, but my time to play games is limited, and I get really irritated when I encounter a half baked product with a tutorial that doesn't make any sense. In the first one, Brooke is no where to be found, the second tutorial is a bit better (if you can stand mis-spelling and incoherent syntax), but in the third one, the mysterious Brooke fails to appear to the rest of us (I guess the tutorial writer could see him...). Esoteric programming errors are forgivable, but screw ups like this are not. This looks like potentially a great game, and this is just poor management, and poor accountability management in particular. Please fix it, a get a spelling checker (MS Word has one!). [:@]
altipueri

RE: Tutorial: Where is Brooke

Post by altipueri »

Brooke's force is there, in London. Robert Greville is 2nd Baron Brooke. I thought this was a history site, do keep up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gr ... ron_Brooke

There's lots of goodness in this game for what is basically a one man effort.
theprisoner

Post by theprisoner »

This does show that the game was either rushed or given inadequate preparation. I am sceptical about the claim to be working with The Sealed Knot, they would have picked this one up the moment they looked at the tutorial.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The OP is 100% wrong. Brooke is there in London, as mentioned above. The tutorials are well-done and informative.

People need to take more time to understand the game system before jumping to conclusions about it.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

agreed
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
DEB

Post by DEB »

Not sure what you mean by OP here ; however, if the Tutorial refers to Brooke and the game lists Robert Greville, then the Tutorial is incorrectly / badly written. This is truly piss poor...

[ Note that I have several books on the ECW to hand, and none of them have either Baron Brooke or Robert Greville listed in the index/s. This gentleman is also someone I have never come across at all ( whilst studying the ECW ) in my entire 58 years of life. Expecting almost anyone to make the connection between the name and the title in the Tutorial is ( IMHO ) absurd !!! ]

[ Edit - I do have access to a book with Baron Brooke in ! "A Life of John Hampton - The Patriot 1594-1643" by John Adair. I guess I need to read my brothers Parliamentarian books after all ( I am a Royalist )... ]
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

There's a tab that says "Brooke's force" in London, do you need it in CAPITALS ? Actually doing the tutorials may help.

You need to study a bit more perhaps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gr ... ron_Brooke

or from Wikipedia:
Baron Brooke is a title in the Peerage of England. It was created in 1621 and was absorbed into the Earldom of Warwick in 1759.

The title was created in 1621 for Fulke Greville, who was already 5th Baron Willoughby de Broke. Greville was a favourite courtier of Queen Elizabeth and served under her and King James I as Treasurer of the Navy and as Chancellor of the Exchequer. He was also a poet and dramatist. Greville obtained from James I a grant of Warwick Castle, and in 1621 he was raised to the Peerage of England as Baron Brooke, of Beauchamps Court in the County of Warwick, with remainder to his second cousin (once removed), and adopted son, Robert Greville. Lord Brooke never married and on his death in 1628 the barony of Willoughby de Broke was passed on to his sister Margaret.[1]

He was succeeded in the barony of Brooke according to the special remainder by Robert Greville, who became the second Baron. He was the grandson of Robert Greville, younger son of Sir Fulke Greville (d. 1569) and Elizabeth, 3rd Baroness Willoughby de Broke. He was a prominent Parliamentarian commander in the Civil War. Lord Brooke was killed during the siege of Lichfield Cathedral in 1643.[2] His younger son, the fourth Baron, was one of the six commissioners deputed to invite the return of Charles II in 1660 and also served as Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire.

Matrix forum people seem really picky against Ageod games, is it a sport or religious perversion?
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

There's a tab that says "Brooke's force" in London, do you need it in CAPITALS ? Actually doing the tutorials may help.

I do not have a copy of the game as yet, and the likelihood is fast receding too !

[ The comment was reasonable observation, based on previous experience... ]
You need to study a bit more perhaps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gr ... ron_Brooke

or from Wikipedia:
Baron Brooke is a title in the Peerage of England. It was created in 1621 and was absorbed into the Earldom of Warwick in 1759.

The title was created in 1621 for Fulke Greville, who was already 5th Baron Willoughby de Broke. Greville was a favourite courtier of Queen Elizabeth and served under her and King James I as Treasurer of the Navy and as Chancellor of the Exchequer. He was also a poet and dramatist. Greville obtained from James I a grant of Warwick Castle, and in 1621 he was raised to the Peerage of England as Baron Brooke, of Beauchamps Court in the County of Warwick, with remainder to his second cousin (once removed), and adopted son, Robert Greville. Lord Brooke never married and on his death in 1628 the barony of Willoughby de Broke was passed on to his sister Margaret.[1]

He was succeeded in the barony of Brooke according to the special remainder by Robert Greville, who became the second Baron. He was the grandson of Robert Greville, younger son of Sir Fulke Greville (d. 1569) and Elizabeth, 3rd Baroness Willoughby de Broke. He was a prominent Parliamentarian commander in the Civil War. Lord Brooke was killed during the siege of Lichfield Cathedral in 1643.[2] His younger son, the fourth Baron, was one of the six commissioners deputed to invite the return of Charles II in 1660 and also served as Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire.

I tend to read / reference real history books, and I certainly would not have either the time ( or the inclination ) to visit Wikipedia, to source what should be evident in the Tutorial...

[ BTW: Baron Brooke was ( when compared to other ECW leaders ) a complete nobody... ]

Matrix forum people seem really picky against Ageod games, is it a sport or religious perversion?
Snide little B*****D aren't we !!
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

The map does have Bristol on it - but not Barrow Gurney. So sad.
DEB

Post by DEB »

Are you suggesting I am but a "Cider country Bumpkin" ??

I live in Wick ( BS30 ), East of Bristol. That makes me a Gloucestershire lad ( although I was born in Southmead Hospital ( in the north of the city ) to be precise ). Barrow Gurney is in Northern Somerset ( to the South of Bristol )...

[ As stated in an earlier post, I live within sight of the Lansdown battlefield ( north of Bath ). The Somerset / Gloucestershire border lies between Wick and Lansdown. ]
DEB

Post by DEB »

He was a prominent Parliamentarian commander in the Civil War.

This ( red ) part of the Wiki entry is B******S...

[ Edit : even after reading the details re Baron Brooke in "A Life of John Hampton - The Patriot 1594-1643" ( by John Adair ), I stand by my observation...

DEB

Post by DEB »

Post deleted - Error.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

He gets a mention in Encyclopedia Britannica and he gets his own tab for his troops in a 2017 wargame. Few people have done that dead or alive.

ORIGINAL: DEB

He was a prominent Parliamentarian commander in the Civil War.

This ( red ) part of the Wiki entry is B******S...

[ Edit : even after reading the details re Baron Brooke in "A Life of John Hampton - The Patriot 1594-1643" ( by John Adair ), I stand by my observation...

DEB

Post by DEB »

Proves nothing !
DEB

Post by DEB »

Baron Brooke was ( in 1632 ) one of eleven men given a land grant in New England ( south of the
Massachusetts Bay Company's colony ). The Indians who inhabited this area called it Quonoktacut,
hence its English name Connecticut. All of these men had a proven interest in the Puritan migration
to Massachusetts at that time.

He was amongst those summoned by the King ( March 1639 ) to join the Royal Army which was to
engage in what is now known as "The Bishop's War". Having refused to swear an oath of obedience
to fight the Scots he ( and his men ) duly returned home. During May 1639, he was amongst six MPs
arrested who were believed to be colluding with the Scots during that War. They were all released due
to insufficient ( for Treason ) evidence.

At Edgehill ( October 1642 ) he was amongst some thirty-seven Parliamentarian Commanders.
His regiment also partook in the action at Brentford in November 1642 and in actions at Stafford and
Lichfield during April 1643. He was killed at Litchfield.

Brooke can ( it seems ) be reasonably referred to as the "first really prominent Puritan Leader" to die
in the ECW ( John Hampden The Patriot p. 224 ).

However, the Wiki quotation ( disputed by myself ) pronounces him as a prominent Parliamentary
Commander
. It is noteworthy that he is not included in a book on "The Roundheads" by Jasper Ridley.
This book includes some twenty short studies of those who played a leading part in the military and
political events of the ECW on the Roundhead ( Parliamentary ) side. Here Baron Brooke is not only
noticeable by his absence ( but does not even figure in the index )...

Brooke could be referred to as a prominent Puritan Commander/Leader or a Parliamentary
Commander/Leader, but hardly as a prominent Parliamentary Commander/Leader.

[ I.E. when non Puritan Parliamentary Commanders/Leaders are added to the Puritan Parliamentary
Commanders/Leaders, Brooke loses his Prominent status. ]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: DEB

Not sure what you mean by OP here ; however, if the Tutorial refers to Brooke and the game lists Robert Greville, then the Tutorial is incorrectly / badly written. This is truly piss poor...

[ Note that I have several books on the ECW to hand, and none of them have either Baron Brooke or Robert Greville listed in the index/s. This gentleman is also someone I have never come across at all ( whilst studying the ECW ) in my entire 58 years of life. Expecting almost anyone to make the connection between the name and the title in the Tutorial is ( IMHO ) absurd !!! ]

[ Edit - I do have access to a book with Baron Brooke in ! "A Life of John Hampton - The Patriot 1594-1643" by John Adair. I guess I need to read my brothers Parliamentarian books after all ( I am a Royalist )... ]

OP means Original Poster, so a reply left blank is for them, and if you agree with a +1, that's normally to the post above, not to the OP, unless quoted etc
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Throughout its catalogue of games AGEOD has included commanders based upon potential as well as historical achievement, i.e. Brooke is included based upon his potential, not his dropping dead at Lichfield in the 2nd year of the war.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

There's too many Malignants around. :)
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Throughout its catalogue of games AGEOD has included commanders based upon potential as well as historical achievement, i.e. Brooke is included based upon his potential, not his dropping dead at Lichfield in the 2nd year of the war.

I have never disagreed with the inclusion of Baron Brooke in the game. Only the concise description of him on the Wiki entry ( via the link )...
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

There's too many Malignants around. :)

Hypocrite [:-]

Return to “English Civil War”