The Manual

The King or the Parliament? Choose your side and take command of the Cavaliers armies or the Roundheads and the Covenanters.
theprisoner

The Manual

Post by theprisoner »

Many spelling mistakes in the manual and on the game map and I have only read the first few pages. Do you want these to be listed here or are you aware of them?
Leibst

RE: The Manual

Post by Leibst »

List them here please. I will report them to Slitherine department in charge of this.
Designer of AGEOD & HQ English Civil War, Thirty Years War and España:1936
Designer of Battles For Spain and Libertad o Muerte!
https://hqwargames.com
theprisoner

Post by theprisoner »

I am delighted you have created an ECW game and admire the work that has gone into it. These comments are meant to be helpful, not just to be critical.

Spelling and other errors in the Manual

Page 7

"King Charles", not (and never) "the King Charles".
"Parliamentarians" not "Paliamentarians"
"Meanwhile Parliament appointed the Earl of Essex" is better than "the Parliament"
"country" not "countrie"
"Hopton Heath" not "Hpton Heath"

The siege and capture of Bristol by Prince Rupert and the failure to capture Gloucester were enormously important but are not mentioned. Instead you mention the rather less battle of Winceby.

Page 8
"the Royalists" not "the Royalist"
"King Charles" not "the king Charles"

Page 9
"Newcastle" not "Newcasttle"

In the Tutorial / Map

"West Wycombe" not "West Wycombie". I don't know why this rather small village should be the main strategic centre between London and Oxford - the key towns were Reading (besieged early in 1643) and Aylesbury.

When you hold a mouse over West Wycombe it is described as "West Wycombre"

I don't understand why the city of Reading is an district called Newbury (others have commented on this in the forums). The towns of Reading and Newbury are 25km apart.

"Cunningham" not "Cunigham"

Where is the great border fortress town of Berwick? Why Ashington in its place?
DEB

Post by DEB »

So, the manual can be corrected / reprinted ???

I will believe that only when I see it...
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Print it out and use a red crayon to mark the bits that offend you.
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Print it out and use a red crayon to mark the bits that offend you.

Moronic !
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

The Battlefields Trust seem to think Winceby quite significant:

"The battle of Winceby is one of the lesser battles of the civil war, with no more than 6000 troops engaged, but its significance far outweighs its scale. For parliament’s Eastern Association army from East Anglia this was their first major campaign. It was also the first nationally important victory for Cromwell’s cavalry and the first action in which he fought side by side with Sir Thomas Fairfax, with whom in the New Model Army he would finally destroy the royalist cause in 1645-6.

In this battle, which lasted no more than half an hour, followed by many hours of pursuit, the parliamentarians destroyed a combined force of royalist cavalry and dragoons from Lincolnshire and Newark. The victory was so swift and complete that the Association infantry did not even have time to engage the enemy. The outcome was the fall of much of the county of Lincolnshire to parliament and a halting of the royalist ascendancy in the region."

From: http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resour ... FieldId=48

Lots of other stuff on that site too.
theprisoner

Post by theprisoner »

Yes, I am not saying it was not important. I am saying that the campaign in the west country that culminated in the siege of Gloucester (and led directly to the first battle of Newbury) was of much greater significance. It marked the point at which the war turned into a stalemate into which the intervention of troops from Scotland and Ireland became decisive.
DEB

Post by DEB »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

The Battlefields Trust seem to think Winceby quite significant:

"The battle of Winceby is one of the lesser battles of the civil war, with no more than 6000 troops engaged, but its significance far outweighs its scale. For parliament’s Eastern Association army from East Anglia this was their first major campaign. It was also the first nationally important victory for Cromwell’s cavalry and the first action in which he fought side by side with Sir Thomas Fairfax, with whom in the New Model Army he would finally destroy the royalist cause in 1645-6.

In this battle, which lasted no more than half an hour, followed by many hours of pursuit, the parliamentarians destroyed a combined force of royalist cavalry and dragoons from Lincolnshire and Newark. The victory was so swift and complete that the Association infantry did not even have time to engage the enemy. The outcome was the fall of much of the county of Lincolnshire to parliament and a halting of the royalist ascendancy in the region."

From: http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resour ... FieldId=48

Lots of other stuff on that site too.

Interesting historical stuff. But your point is ( in relation to my previous post/s ) ???

EDIT : Aah ! I get it, you replied to me instead of theprisoner !

[ For future reference, it helps other posters understand you better if you click on the appropriate reply button ( or the appropriate quote button )... ]

Return to “English Civil War”