stupid question?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Phoenix100

stupid question?

Post by Phoenix100 »

How do I cancel an air drop target for an airborne combat unit? I have selected a target, it's coordinates show up in the target box on the unit counter. If I change my mind how do I deselect the target (without substituting another one)?

Thanks.
Phoenix100

RE: stupid question?

Post by Phoenix100 »

So stupid there's no answer? Nobody out there who knows the answer?
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

Not stupid, but never tried it and don't know in what circumstances it matters. You can just leave it on the target until you have a new one. It won't drop unless you give that additional command, so it doesn't really matter what the target is. There may well be those more expert than me who can help you more as I may be missing something here.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks. It makes no difference if the unit sits there prepping a drop on a hex I can't cancel it from? Is that right? There's no consequences to being in 'prep' mode, then? What if, for example (instead of being in the UK, safe) it's near a front line and gets attacked? Does being in 'prep' mode affect things?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

No.

In fact unless you really need your Paras at the front always put them on an airbase with a notional target. If you don't use that target at least you keep a proportion of the prep pts for when you re-arrange.

As the Allies, especially in France, I keep on setting up (but probably not using) targets - its a case of just once you might get lucky with a planned drop and position of the battlefront (vertical envelopment or adding a bridgehead that your land units couldn't reach).

Same idea applies in 1943 if you keep a small reserve back in N Africa - say a couple of divisions and a couple of brigades. Again keep on setting and moving targets (for naval invasion) - you never know when a small landing might convert an axis planned retreat into a pocket.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There's no consequences to being in 'prep' mode, then? What if, for example (instead of being in the UK, safe) it's near a front line and gets attacked? Does being in 'prep' mode affect things?

There should be no side effects of being in "prep mode".
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”