Subs 5 in february 42 . Possible ?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

vonik

Subs 5 in february 42 . Possible ?

Post by vonik »

In a PBEM I have just met an U boat of level 5 in February 42 . Useless to add that my ASW lvl 2 destroyers can't even scratch it .
In some 20 PBEM I played I have never seen that - when I play Axis (and research sub techs since Day 1) at this stage I am always level 2 or at best 3 if I was lucky .
Upon reflection it is not only the subs . German bombers, fighters and tanks are already 3 what is also a bit much for february 42 .

Is it even possible to have level 5 U boats already in february 42 ??
LiquidSky

RE: Subs 5 in february 42 . Possible ?

Post by LiquidSky »

Not really. Take a look at the graphs in game and you can see what he has spent by looking at REPORTS/GRAPHS/RESEARCH

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Possible mathematically but EXTREMELY unlikely.
vonik

Post by vonik »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Not really. Take a look at the graphs in game and you can see what he has spent by looking at REPORTS/GRAPHS/RESEARCH

How does this help to understand ? Obviously I checked that and suppose that he invested in sub research what I also always do when playing Axis .
My wondering is about the time it takes because I have never seen my sub research being more than 3 at start 42 and that is exceptionnal . Generally it is 2 and 3 being in progress .
I am aware that there can be a breakthrough after 45 % have been researched but what I don't know is how many turns are necessary to get to the 45 % .
Here it means : 2 breakthroughs in 40 to get to 3 and 2 breakthroughs in 41 to get to 5 and I am actually not even sure that it is possible to get to 2 x 45 % of lvl 4 and 5 in only one year .

Or is there some hidden option I am not aware of like investing 2 or 3 times the amount ?

Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Or is there some hidden option I am not aware of like investing 2 or 3 times the amount ?

Yes, you may invest 2 chits into sub research, which of course doubles the progress. And also investing into intelligence speeds up all research.
vonik

Post by vonik »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

Yes, you may invest 2 chits into sub research, which of course doubles the progress. And also investing into intelligence speeds up all research.

I see - I saw Something like that in the manual but never used it and forgot . This is what I have missed .
Now would that mean that Germany can have lvl 5 subs end 41 by simply spending 4x175= 700 MPP more (doubling lvls 2,3,4 and 5) ?
Because if yes then they'd rip apart anything and everything that still floats . After all 700 MPP is just what Germany gets approximately in ONE turn ...
This seems to me a bit overboard .
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

You could do the same with your ASW research.

vonik

Post by vonik »

ORIGINAL: VigaBrand

You could do the same with your ASW research.

Well I surely could if I had 900 MMPs what I don't . In 1940/1941 US are not yet in war, have a tiny army with no destroyers and no MPPs to research ASW single let alone double .
And as for UK (which has by then already lost Egypt) they won't go very far with their some 300 MPPs/turn either .
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

Than we should suggest, that the anti-submarine an the advanced submarine tech could only be researched with one chit.

vonik

Post by vonik »

ORIGINAL: VigaBrand

Than we should suggest, that the anti-submarine an the advanced submarine tech could only be researched with one chit.

Well as this was in fact as I have been playing Germany because of my ignorance of this option, I have never felt being hadicapped .
Subs 3 in 42 are just fine and entirely sufficient to hold the RN and USN at bay .

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”