Old MATRIX Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

lordhoff

Old MATRIX Games

Post by lordhoff »

I have a bunch of games that I purchased years ago but every time I try to play one, it says my registered serial number is incorrect. Then I contact support, who send me a new, temporary one that expires long before I an able to be awake at three in the morning so I can download. What I am wondering is why the serials numbers do not work and if there is a way to make them work, ie, the ones that are listed in the members' area under the games that I own. It has really put a damper on my buying of games here - no use buying them if when I come to play them after taking care of the backlog (if that ever happens - it's looking like I just plain wasted my money) I'm not able to. At the very least, temporary serial numbers should be valid for, say, three months rather then a few days. I don't know; maybe I'm just naive to believe that games I own I should be able to play when I want to.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
IainMcNeil

RE: Old MATRIX Games

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are having problems Lordhoff but serial numbers do not expire so I assume you mean something else or you're entering the serial numbers incorrectly (leading or trailing spaces will break it)? It sounds like you're asking for the wrong thing. What exactly is the problem? What exactly are you trying to do and what exactly is the error you get when trying to do it.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Serial numbers never change. We never send new serial numbers, only new download links for the game installers.
Download links usually expires in 24 hours. But you can download the game file installers from your member's area:

Login in your Member's account:
http://matrixgames.com/members/signup.asp
Click on "My Games" link at your right. On the next screen you'll see a list of your games being displayed at your left. Click in the "Registered" link in front of the game you which to download. Now on the next screen, you'll have access to the game file installer and update files. Click on the game file installer to download it.

As for the serial numbers check if any of your Internet security programs (like anti-virus) isn't interfering. Make sure that you are also running the game as Windows administrator.

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I'm backing Matrix on this. Serial numbers don't expire. There is something else going on, here.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

I've seen something similar with War in the Pacific. The original game recognises my serial number fine, but the latest version (6) of the Scenario Editor refuses to run because my serial number is invalid, so I'm stuck using version 1.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

contact support as always, they can find and fix almost any issue
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
mrensing

Post by mrensing »

I have this issue as well. Right now it is for my registered copy of CC: The Longest Day. The error message is: There is an error with your serial number as entered. Please contact support@matrixgames.com for assistance. Error code 2.

I seriously doubt that it is an actual serial error as I have both copied & pasted and manually entered the serial code given on my matrix games account page.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

You can always follow up with support. As zacblood states, they are always really good at fixing such things. But I stand by my statement, serial numbers do not expire.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

@Moebeer
Just open a helpdesk ticket, I know what's the issue. [:)]

@CG_Gamer

Usually error 2, means that you have installed the game with the update file (CC-TheLongestDay-Update-55014b.exe) instead of using the game file installer (CCTheLongestDay-SetupRelease-v55013.exe)
Use the update file only after having installed the game.
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

ORIGINAL: lordhoff
I have a bunch of games that I purchased years ago but every time I try to play one, it says my registered serial number is incorrect.

Like the others have said, a space or even hidden character will cause the serial to be invalid. Happened to me a number of times. I've gotten into the habit of saving my serial numbers into a text file and then using it to copy and paste the serial into the game.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: hadberz
I've gotten into the habit of saving my serial numbers into a text file and then using it to copy and paste the serial into the game.
Indeed, copying form a pure txt file is the better. If, for example, you copy and paste the serial number from a web page (HTML) you could be copying more characters (invisible) than just the serial number.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I have a bunch of games that I purchased years ago but every time I try to play one, it says my registered serial number is incorrect.

Like the others have said, a space or even hidden character will cause the serial to be invalid. Happened to me a number of times. I've gotten into the habit of saving my serial numbers into a text file and then using it to copy and paste the serial into the game.

I've done that for years... and every couple of years, I email the file to myself, just to make sure I don't lose it.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I've done that for years... and every couple of years, I email the file to myself, just to make sure I don't lose it.

Me too [;)]
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

Sorry for the delay; I was having log-in problems.

I dearly would like to go into support to refer you to the at least half a dozen tickets that refer to this issue and have the details but, log-in problems (I can't get into "support"). Here is the routine: I download the game. I load the game. During loading, it asks for my serial number. Error message says, serial number is not valid. I try several times using the serial number from the members' page. I contact support. They send me a link that expires in a day or so. If it is indeed a download link being sent, I don't see how that would help since the game is already downloaded. Anyway, I'll try to load some problem games (again) using the suggestion from below that I use a text file as I likely did cut and paste (as always in such things, being careful not to copy blank spaces) to see if that will help. I believe some of the games were: War Plan Orange, War in the Pacific, and World War I Gold (which is listed twice with two different serial numbers - I think the old version was discontinued and a new one replaced it?).
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

@lordhoff
I've been responding to your login tickets. I have reset your account's password. Haven't you received any of my responses?
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

I have; that's how I got into the forums again. However, I can't get into "support" even with the new password.

Also, I don't know how combined MATRIX and Slitherine (ie, same people working support for both?)are but I also have a ticket open to get into the Slitherine forum as the new password doesn't seem to work there despite the unified system. Actually, in that case, it appears it doesn't recognize my username according to the error message and that despite it being listed when one checks the various accounts that were unified.

EDIT: and to clarify one point, I errored in saying a new serial number was being sent. The reason I had to be awake at 3 AM is that I had to download something and to do so at other times uses up entirely my monthly band width allowance which greatly slows down my connection for the rest of the month. It was likely a download link as mentioned.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

If a game installs but then tells you the serial number is invalid when you try to launch it, it most likely means that the game is installed incorrectly. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including some anti-virus software that interferes with the installation, or as mentioned above trying to install from an update installer rather than the full installer. Also, trying to copy an installation folder from one place to another instead of reinstalling from the installer can cause this.

Serial numbers are not generally discontinued or expired, unless we find that a particular serial number has been pirated and widely distributed. In that case it may cease to work for future updates and re-masters of the full game.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I have; that's how I got into the forums again. However, I can't get into "support" even with the new password.

I've just tested with your details (your account username is TLH) and I was able to login in the member's account.
Try with a different Internet browser.

Also, I don't know how combined MATRIX and Slitherine (ie, same people working support for both?)are but I also have a ticket open to get into the Slitherine forum as the new password doesn't seem to work there despite the unified system. Actually, in that case, it appears it doesn't recognize my username according to the error message and that despite it being listed when one checks the various accounts that were unified.

Again, I've just tested and I was able to login successfully in the Slitherine forum with the same details (username TLH).
And yes, the tech support team on Slitherine is the same as on Matrix.

Regarding your issue with serial numbers, if it's easier for you to contacts us at support[at]slitherine.co.uk than to open a helpdesk ticket on Matrix, please do so. We are the same team, so we can handle any Matrix issue.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: CG_Gamer

I have this issue as well. Right now it is for my registered copy of CC: The Longest Day. The error message is: There is an error with your serial number as entered. Please contact support@matrixgames.com for assistance. Error code 2.

I seriously doubt that it is an actual serial error as I have both copied & pasted and manually entered the serial code given on my matrix games account page.

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago with that game. Turns out in Win10 you have to run it in Win7 compatability mode.
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

I don't think that link is any good (support@matrixgames.com) - I got a 402 error. I'm betting it was changed at some point to the one VPaulus provided above.

I'll try using Explorer instead of Firefox but not at the moment. I'll return with the results when I do.

Also, I was able to load "War Plan Orange" [:D] with a text file so we are making progress (thanks!).

Return to “General Discussion”