OT: Dunkirk the Movie!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cwemyss

RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie!

Post by cwemyss »

So far, I see lots to be excited about, and no red flags. Be interesting to see how it plays with an American audience.... It's not part of our national psyche like Omaha Beach is.
Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Here is a trailer, it's in French.

a awesome scene when he saves the bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_rAP-ri6I

"Director from "Il faut sauter eul' soeur à Ryan" - mdr !
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I saw a trailer today for the movie at my local pub. Didn't catch the date but we must be getting close [:)]
cwemyss

Post by cwemyss »

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

I saw a trailer today for the movie at my local pub. Didn't catch the date but we must be getting close [:)]

July 21 over here
Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Talking of Dunkirk, let's not forget the amazing tracking shot from "Atonement":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I did see the actor who played "Scarecrow" in the Batman movies. He's typecast for me - good actor, but he'll always be Scarecrow.

Me and my boys are looking forward to this movie.

Cilian Murphy's done pretty well as Thomas Shelby in Peaky Blinders and as the lead in The Winds that Shake the Barley, though a lot of Americans still know him as Scarecrow. When I look at the cast list and see who all is in it, I'm inclined to hope, as a lot of the people in it have done at least one war movie and not been bad in it. Looking forward to seeing James D'Arcy again, he was great in Master and Commander.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

This could be a good gateway movie to get people interested in this area. My daughters started watching war movies after I made them watch the Great Escape. I told them that an actor from Jurassic Park was in it, they had to find him. They watched it closely and were amassed when they realized that Richard Attenborough was in both movies. They have all gone on to Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, etc. They also are big Star Wars and Trek fans.

With Harry Styles from one direction theirs a hope for some bait and switch to get a new generation interested in these types of movies.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Think she is ready to watch "Come and See"?
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I did see the actor who played "Scarecrow" in the Batman movies. He's typecast for me - good actor, but he'll always be Scarecrow.

Me and my boys are looking forward to this movie.

Cilian Murphy's done pretty well as Thomas Shelby in Peaky Blinders and as the lead in The Winds that Shake the Barley, though a lot of Americans still know him as Scarecrow. When I look at the cast list and see who all is in it, I'm inclined to hope, as a lot of the people in it have done at least one war movie and not been bad in it. Looking forward to seeing James D'Arcy again, he was great in Master and Commander.

Cilian Murphy works since forever, and I don't even really associate him with Scarecrow. He was the main character in "28 Days Later", and in movies like "Sunshine", "Red Eye", "Inception" (he is a favourite by both Danny Boyle and Christopher Nolan it seems), and, on TV, "Peaky Blinders".

I must say that he is one of those actors I'm always happy to see on screen.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

If you like Cilian Murphy, you should watch Peaky Blinders.

EDIT

And...Lovejoy already beat me to it. Great show!
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Talking of Dunkirk, let's not forget the amazing tracking shot from "Atonement":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

That was great, thanks for the link!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I found the 5:36 extended trailer to Dunkirk! I saw this in the theater in IMAX with Rogue One last year, but haven't seen it elsewhere. Lots of new footage not seen in the other trailers. [:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrQ4VvFO-c
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Very much look forward to it, it is a story, like so many others, in WWII that is unknown in the general public and deserves to be told
sprior

Post by sprior »

It's not widely-known but the man who was in command of the Dunkirk evacuation, Admiral Ramsay, was also in command for operation Neptune. sadly he was killed in a plane crash in 1944
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

sprior

Post by sprior »

My grandfather was captured at Dunkirk. He was listed as "Missing" for 3 months before news of his capture finally reached home.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: sprior

It's not widely-known but the man who was in command of the Dunkirk evacuation, Admiral Ramsay, was also in command for operation Neptune. sadly he was killed in a plane crash in 1944

Interesting. Is that the role played by Kenneth Branaugh in the trailers?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

My grandfather was captured at Dunkirk. He was listed as "Missing" for 3 months before news of his capture finally reached home.

How long had he been with the BEF before capture? Did he talk about any of it afterwards?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Interesting. Is that the role played by Kenneth Branaugh in the trailers?
warspite1

Ramsay, as Vice-Admiral Dover, wouldn't have been at Dunkirk, he was orchestrating the operation from Dover.

I assume that Branagh is William Tennant (he of HMS Repulse - Force Z fame) or a similar character. Tennant directed evacuation operations from the beaches as Senior Naval Officer Dunkirk.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

One strange thing about the movie is that the online cast lists rarely mention the names of the characters, particularly for actors like Kenneth Branagh who appear to be playing the people in charge (as opposed to random soldier/pilot #5).

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

One strange thing about the movie is that the online cast lists rarely mention the names of the characters, particularly for actors like Kenneth Branagh who appear to be playing the people in charge (as opposed to random soldier/pilot #5).

warspite1

I assume you mean IMDB? Yes, seems strange this close to the release date. Also it seems a little odd that their 'STARmeter' ranks Branagh and Rylance below Harry Styles!!.... although having said that I am only guessing at what a STARmeter is likely to actually be [:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”