Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zorch

RE: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

ORIGINAL: wings7

I guess most Civ players here have already bought it...[:)]

And gave up on it. [:@]
Or in my case, haven't tried it yet. [8|]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

It's frustrating that after several patches, the AI is still stupid and does stupid things that make no sense. Turn 5 I make friends with Egypt. They invite me over. Turn ten they call me names and want war. This was a major complaint the first day it came out. Still not fixed.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I guess most Civ players here have already bought it...[:)]

And gave up on it. [:@]

then forgot about it after filing it under game purchase mistake. Maybe in a few years it will be better.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

It's frustrating that after several patches, the AI is still stupid and does stupid things that make no sense. Turn 5 I make friends with Egypt. They invite me over. Turn ten they call me names and want war. This was a major complaint the first day it came out. Still not fixed.

I'm sure you examined what was going or what happened between turns 5 and 10 to make Egypt turn on you like that...
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
terje439

Post by terje439 »

I'm sure you examined what was going or what happened between turns 5 and 10 to make Egypt turn on you like that...

It is because of some new mechanics;
1. Before a certain time, you do not get warmonger penalty for a DoW. So the AI will try to kill you before this.
2. The AI has "agendas". If you do not follow those, they will dislike you. Some might want you to have a large army, some want you to spread religion, some want you not to spread religion etc.

Whereas in earlier versions of the game you could get by with only having a token army and only fight the odd defensive war, in Civ VI you have to build your army rather quickly, and you will need to fight several wars. For those players that, like me, prefer to build a peaceful nation, Civ VI is worse than the previous 5 games in the series.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

1. Before a certain time, you do not get warmonger penalty for a DoW. So the AI will try to kill you before this.
2. The AI has "agendas". If you do not follow those, they will dislike you. Some might want you to have a large army, some want you to spread religion, some want you not to spread religion etc.

Whereas in earlier versions of the game you could get by with only having a token army and only fight the odd defensive war, in Civ VI you have to build your army rather quickly, and you will need to fight several wars. For those players that, like me, prefer to build a peaceful nation, Civ VI is worse than the previous 5 games in the series.

So in Civ VI, it's really about war. I can see where people would scoff at that, for me there should be more of a balance, war and peace and everything in between. Like you say the other versions are more balanced...thanks for the explanation, sounds like you have put in some hours on Civ VI, any other balance issues you have experienced?
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I wish they didn't make it too cartoonish in that final version, part five was pretty good graphics compare to VI. Also the world seem much smaller, to make it like Earth size would be really, really HUGE. But that wont happen because they demand too much pc performance. The is one mod that you can play Earth, isn't bad, but I just didn't like the game much.

I do however like the ideas when you do things, can you get bonus. Like building a settlement near the coast and get 50% off research bonus on seafaring whatever that tech is.

Still hearing the AIs is rather dumb at this point, better off playing with someone online, if they have the time and patience to play.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

So in Civ VI, it's really about war. I can see where people would scoff at that, for me there should be more of a balance, war and peace and everything in between. Like you say the other versions are more balanced...thanks for the explanation, sounds like you have put in some hours on Civ VI, any other balance issues you have experienced?

Let me put it this way, previous 5 versions of Civ, 500+ hrs played on each. Civ VI, 70ish hrs played.

As to balance, well, the AI loves to go to war, but an AI is not really capable to wage war very well, so it did not take me long to beat the game on deity. In previous versions I had to play alot of games before managing to win on that difficulty, so the focus on war is not good, as the AI is bad at it...

Another "balance" issue, is that the game does not spread out coal, iron and oil, properly on the map. IRL those resources are found all across the globe, yet in Civ VI you will often see maps where only a small portion of the map sees any of these resources.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

I wish they didn't make it too cartoonish in that final version, part five was pretty good graphics compare to VI. Also the world seem much smaller, to make it like Earth size would be really, really HUGE. But that wont happen because they demand too much pc performance. The is one mod that you can play Earth, isn't bad, but I just didn't like the game much.

I do however like the ideas when you do things, can you get bonus. Like building a settlement near the coast and get 50% off research bonus on seafaring whatever that tech is.

Still hearing the AIs is rather dumb at this point, better off playing with someone online, if they have the time and patience to play.

I disliked the cartoonish style at first too, but that is not a big issue for me anymore, but the AI really needs to be fixed.

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I own every one of the games in the Civilization series and I consider Civilization VI to be the worst one yet. I would rather play Civilization II than Civilization VI.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Neorod

Post by Neorod »

I really liked Civ V, and I do agree that Civ VI is probably the worst one of the series.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Might be awhile when they improve it, esp with another expansion for it. But still it is limited world and not as big compare part five. What were they thinking? That part six taken up a lot of pc performance and hardly can handle low end pc with lowest settings.

There a lot of fans on Steam wasn't happy with it either, mostly due to AI problems.
matttanner

Post by matttanner »

It's really annoying that you have to plan ahead if you want to build something later. I wanted to build a National Park and I had destroyed all the required nature by the time I unlocked it..
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: matttanner

It's really annoying that you have to plan ahead if you want to build something later. I wanted to build a National Park and I had destroyed all the required nature by the time I unlocked it..
It's called real world reality...[:)]
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I have Civ2 on several laptops, netbooks and tablets. Still the best fun for me - even if I play only short games - just to get those advisors telling me to build more troops so that they may "bury their swords in the beating hearts of the enemy" - and the Elvis guy.

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I own every one of the games in the Civilization series and I consider Civilization VI to be the worst one yet. I would rather play Civilization II than Civilization VI.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I happened to pay $34 for Civ VI. For me that is worthwhile. Few games are worth VI's regular price of $60. If anything, they have simplified things. I consulted no manual and am playing fine (on easy). Also, I have yet to play IV and V (with all that DLC they sell [;)]). Anyway, I booted up IV and was overcome by the complexity of the interface. No way I could jump into that game, but I am looking forward to playing it.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Anyway, I booted up IV and was overcome by the complexity of the interface. No way I could jump into that game, but I am looking forward to playing it.
Apparently before game's release, there was some bitching about the game going to be too simple [8|]

Play tutorial scenario and look up from the manual city management screen and how trade network works. And civics. Most of the rest are much the same as in the earlier games in the series. I myself was more ambitious, and after playing the tutorial, I read the manuals and went straight to Beyond the Sword. To maximize complexity of Civ4 experience, Caveman 2 Cosmos is massive mod, one mod to rule them all, which adds craptons of features and more of everything else. Turns go up to 8000, and in some earlier versions, 14 000 (turns). You better master Beyond the Sword before you even try C2C. You can read about my impressions and gameplay with this mod.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

How is this game now? Has the updates fixed some of the bigger issues? Also is steam the only way to get this game?
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

How is this game now? Has the updates fixed some of the bigger issues? Also is steam the only way to get this game?

Well I tried messing with it, still didn't like it. It is good they added some cool features to the game, but I think what killed it is silly cartoonish graphics, weak AIs and others were talking about something I didn't understand, probably have something to do with diplomacy.

When this first came out, I had it on steam and didn't like it and got a refund for it. Waited for awhile and bought the box version, like to have it as collection that have a nice niffy booklet and tech tree, etc. Sadly that thing didn't have a damn thing in it lol. Just wasted sixty bucks for that game back then.

Believe there are three ways to get it, one check online, some you can download like gamestop, etc or grab it from Steam.

Noticed most civ fans like part five, four or even three better than this one. Part five is still amazing game, different because part four and three you can stack units or stack of doom then they replace it only one unit per hex.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Has the updates fixed some of the bigger issues?

Fixed some, added some new ones [:D]
The first major DLC is coming early 2018, so I am curious to see how that will change the game.

To me, the game as is now, is ok but not more. So far it is the Civ game I have invested the fewest hours in at release.

Return to “General Discussion”