AI Rules

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Deepstuff3725

AI Rules

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Here are some optional rules anyone can apply when playing against the computer AI in CS, or other turn-based war games similar to it.

When playing the AI, sometimes the computer won't move or shoot as often as a human opponent would. Moving the slider so the AI gains an advantage helps, but still the movement and shooting totals may not be balanced.

To use these, first grab a pencil and paper.

1. Overall shots. Based on the scenario, determine how many total shots you should be allowed compared to the AI. For example, maybe by the end you determine you can be at "plus 4" shots. During the battle, stroke tally the shots taken by AI and yourself, including Opp Fire shots. After each turn, total shots taken to that point and make sure you are on pace to be no more than 4 shots ahead by the end of the scenario. This will force you to be more selective on what shots to take, and by the end of the scenario the overall shooting will be balanced the way you initially setup.

2. Movement. Decide how many units you will be allowed to move each turn. For instance, if you have 18 units in a scenario, you can select a range of units you will be able to move each turn. Use a random number generator to get random numbers for each turn. Random.org has a good one. If you pick 7 to 18 units, setup 7 to 18 on the site and generate random numbers prior to each turn. The number generated will represent how many units you can move in that turn. This will cause you to be more selective, and make choices, not being able to move any unit at any time.

3. Move and Shoot. Set how many units you can move and then shoot during a turn. You can pick a range of units and then generate random numbers, following the above process. Perhaps a low number, 1 to 6. This will represent how many units can move and then fire in a turn.

4. Shots per turn. Select the range of units that will be allowed to shoot in a turn. With 18 units, maybe 6 to 14. Generate the random number prior to each turn for this category. During each turn you will have to decide which shots to take, and you won't have the luxury of being able to fire all available units every turn.

These are just some options I've thought of for playing against the AI. It may help make the experience more challenging and balanced for you.

Jeff
Big Ivan

RE: AI Rules

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff123

Here are some optional rules anyone can apply when playing against the computer AI in CS, or other turn-based war games similar to it.

When playing the AI, sometimes the computer won't move or shoot as often as a human opponent would. Moving the slider so the AI gains an advantage helps, but still the movement and shooting totals may not be balanced.

To use these, first grab a pencil and paper.

1. Overall shots. Based on the scenario, determine how many total shots you should be allowed compared to the AI. For example, maybe by the end you determine you can be at "plus 4" shots. During the battle, stroke tally the shots taken by AI and yourself, including Opp Fire shots. After each turn, total shots taken to that point and make sure you are on pace to be no more than 4 shots ahead by the end of the scenario. This will force you to be more selective on what shots to take, and by the end of the scenario the overall shooting will be balanced the way you initially setup.

2. Movement. Decide how many units you will be allowed to move each turn. For instance, if you have 18 units in a scenario, you can select a range of units you will be able to move each turn. Use a random number generator to get random numbers for each turn. Random.org has a good one. If you pick 7 to 18 units, setup 7 to 18 on the site and generate random numbers prior to each turn. The number generated will represent how many units you can move in that turn. This will cause you to be more selective, and make choices, not being able to move any unit at any time.

3. Move and Shoot. Set how many units you can move and then shoot during a turn. You can pick a range of units and then generate random numbers, following the above process. Perhaps a low number, 1 to 6. This will represent how many units can move and then fire in a turn.

4. Shots per turn. Select the range of units that will be allowed to shoot in a turn. With 18 units, maybe 6 to 14. Generate the random number prior to each turn for this category. During each turn you will have to decide which shots to take, and you won't have the luxury of being able to fire all available units every turn.

These are just some options I've thought of for playing against the AI. It may help make the experience more challenging and balanced for you.

Jeff

Nice Jeff very nice, none of these ideas never even occurred to me and I've been playing CS for 18 years.

These ideas appear to cover ground combat and movement well but what about artillery? I'm thinking #4 might handle artillery well to some extent. Say one has 16 total artillery units
(maybe not including mortars??)and 12 can fire in a turn. Maybe of those 12 plot 8-9 or two-thirds of the available and switch them up from turn to turn. Still the A/I is very poor in artillery coordination
and more often than not uses its available smoke early in artillery strikes. Still its a great start.

Your thoughts on the artillery issue?

Thanks

John[:)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Thanks, John.

That's a good idea to factor in artillery. It could be a separate category, and have a range of probability for it's availability. Noticed the artillery in the game is sometimes not available, but this could add more randomness and limitation on how often it can be used.

I like how these rules can be implemented with many great games, like CS: Middle East and all the games at www.johntillersoftware.com

It's a start and anyone can use in whole or in part, edit, add to, whatever.

Jeff

fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

super idea jeff
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Hey Jeff,

Very nice AI rules system indeed.

Here is a recap.

I'm playing Alan Arvold's scenario "High Water Mark" for Campaign Series Middle East. I have the Israeli's and the A/I is the Syrians.
All optional rules are on except AF & VV. I'm using random.org to control the Israeli artillery which is three off-board batteries
of 155mm. Over 6 turns now the random generator on average is giving me 2 of 3 fire missions per turn. With that I have to be very
selective in my fire mission placement.

In terms of allocated shots which I count for the A/I, I'm getting 24-30 shots coming at me
from the A/I on average each turn. In turn during my following fire phase I backed off by 4 so if the A/I shoots 24 times,
I shoot 20. If 30 I shoot 26 etc. I'm counting total shots for me which includes dead still shots(no movement) and shots after I move against the total.

For movement I set a maximum of 75% of my total units which can move. This seems to work pretty well. With movement and subsequent fire I find I have to
plan well which adds a degree of excitement on my end.

In general the A/I is doing pretty good but in a couple of instances it has given me real juicy targets
to zero on which pushes the VP total a little in my favor. If this continues I'll have to compensate by either reducing my allowed shots further
or only shooting at a juicy target hex one time. As you know the killing power in CSME is so much superior than CS WWII especially at longer ranges.

Very nice rules system for play against the A/I you developed. There is a bit of math involved but being an engineer I enjoy it immensely![:)]

The screen shot below is in the middle of Israeli Turn 6 with 9 more turns to go. The zoom level is set on 6 and through JSGME I'm using the black
Arab-Israeli 2D Unit profiles mod which I enjoy. Reminds me of playing the old Avalon Hill board game.[:D]

Attachments
HighWater..liTurn6.jpg
HighWater..liTurn6.jpg (582.83 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Hey Jeff,

End of Israeli Turn 10 below with losses for both sides. The Syrian artillery while not accurate occasionally gives me fits.
Still sticking to the random generator for Israeli artillery. Sometimes I have 3 batteries but
the generator only lets me call in 1. Man this is a lot of fun!

Turn 7 & 8 the Syrian attacks really picked up as I came within range. In turn 8 the A/I fired 55 times,
my response total was 51 but I think I got 40 shots in total, artillery included.

Man, playing with predetermined statistics really makes for an interesting game.

Regards,
John

Attachments
HighWater..Turn9End.jpg
HighWater..Turn9End.jpg (592.99 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Hey Jeff,

Very nice system for playing against the A/I. I had a lot of fun with it!

Final screenshot at scenario end below. Finished, just barely with a minor victory for the Israelis.
The A/I playing the Syrians gave as good as they got destroying 36 of the Israeli tanks to the loss
of only 13 Syrian tanks. If I did not capture the 100 point objective at "Tel Shams" it would have been a draw.

Thanks for posting your rules, I had a wonderful time playing against the A/I with them!

Cheers!
John

Attachments
HighWater..15Final.jpg
HighWater..15Final.jpg (605.12 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey John... that's awesome.
I played a small scenario I had put together and used them against the AI and found the battle to be more balanced, challenging, and fun as well. With each turn you have to make tough choices as to which units will move and fire, because with the limitations you can't just move and fire every unit every turn. I also like using a random number generator to set a different number of units I can move or fire in each turn, and by the end of the scenario making sure the total shots between me and the AI matches the parameters.
People can make the rules as simple or as complex as they want, and it might make playing the AI even more enjoyable.

Thanks for trying them out. And glad you liked using them.
Jeff

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”