Project: Atheory For Everything#40 Released!!!

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

atheory

Project: Atheory For Everything#40 Released!!!

Post by atheory »

I am happy to unveil my first scenario. It was built upon the great work done by John 3rd on RA8.1
If you're not familiar with the changes, you can view them here John 3rd's RA Page

Chronology
1936: 2-26 Incident had far further ramifications for the Army's influence in government. Giving rise to the Naval arm and the growing aspirations of an intelligent naval officer, Yamamoto. Through him reforms would come to the military's force structure.

1937: Events in China proceed as normal with the navy reluctantly giving in to supporting army actions here.

1938: Military structure reforms begin in earnest.

1939: Chinese launch winter offensive, pushing back the depleted Japan's China Exp Army.

1940: Japan pushes for an Asia for Asians campaign, funding political movements and rebel forces in numerous countries. Thailand signs alliance with Japan, agreeing to the establishment of bases for Japanese forces.

1941: A restructured Kaigun is ready for war, but how long can it fight?

*Japan Military Reforms*
1. JPA converted its divisions from square to triangle between 1937-1940.
2. JPA converted some independent brigades into amphibious brigades.
3. Airborne units were expanded and in division form which can be broken down. Both JPN/JPA have one.
4. JPA Tank Divisions streamlined, creating Assault Regiments in an effort to combine arms for flexibility.
5. JPN merged several SNLF units into larger brigade size formations.
6. JPA ITB were converted to Tank Groups, adding two battalions of infantry to the unit.

*Chinese OOB*
I made the switch from corps/division units to just pure army units based on another source, which I felt seemed to make for an adequate representation of the units. However, I admit the corps designation could work just as well. Since the higher echelon was an Army Group, I elected to use Army over Corps. The make-up of an Army unit is either a 1 division, 2 division or 3 division unit. Over time those 1 division units will upgrade to the 2 division structure, and in turn those 2 division units will upgrade to the full 3 division TOE. Which in turn will upgrade to a new 43 TOE at some point. I hope this will an effective means to improve Chinese AV over time.

*The Early Game*
It was my desire to tweak a few things in an effort to both slow the pace of Japan's expansion early on and create incentives for the Allies to fight outside of Singapore and Bataan. Allied support units on Malaya and PI will have static devices to prevent their movement. I can't expect players to "role-play" nor is that the intent of this scenario. Nor do I desire to predetermine a players choice. I sought a balance of play in the early game giving the Japan player room enough to expand to the historical perimeter without the allied player using that time to fortify certain areas such as Burma in the process. By giving these support units static devices, it forces not only the Japan player to engage them, but maybe give the allied player the initiative to try and protect forward areas. To help further encourage this, Light industry (or supply producers) have been reduced in singapore and placed at a few locations throughout Malaya.

Typically reinforcements bound for singapore are quickly rerouted to Burma, and Australian units arriving at Aden with the historical intention of moving to Australia are too often rerouted to Burma. I flat out eliminated this aspect from the early game. These Brigades will arrive at their historical destination of Singapore or Australia according to their arrival times, or close to it. Now what the player does with those units after they arrive is for them to decide. This does leave Burma a little more vulnerable and the Moulmein/Pegu bottleneck may be less punishing for the Japan player.

Perhaps with the brigades arriving in Singapore, a good nose bleed can be given to an over aggressive Japan player before the inevitable siege of Singapore. In the future I may add a few more support squads to these support units which may be able to stave off surrendering for a couple days, and thus further delay Japanese advance. We will see after some feedback comes in.

Another thing I approached was the notion of having multiple ports available to strike. Some like it, some don't, but I wanted to allow for it and let the players decide for themselves. Therefore, the 3 restructured KB's have the first turn bonus. In addition, Singapore is a juicy target with Force Z now at port. And Manila with the Houston and Boise along with the sub fleet at port in Manila. And then there is always Pearl Harbor.

*Air Frame Research*
I tweaked slightly the research paths for Japan Naval air frames. There are 4 lines:
A2M to A5M to A8M (non armored to eventual armored version)
A3M to A4M to A8M (basically armored versions)
Sen Baku to A7M (fighter-bomber version)
A7M to A7M3 (long live the SAMs)

*Japan Industry*
I did not want to drastically overhaul the Industry aspect as that would make things too, unpredictable. I therefore took these modest approaches as a first step to my goals with Japan's Industry:
1..Reduced the number of resource centers on the home islands by about 1,000 (that's 20,000 less resources a day)
2..Reduce Heavy Industry by about 500 on the home islands.
3..Increased Light Industry intake of resources from 15 to 20.
4..Light Industry will now produce 2 supply.
5..Heavy industry will now produce only 1 supply.
6..Refinery does not produce supply.
7..Armament Factories were reduced by 20%

Goal is simply to force the Japan player to ship more resources back to the home islands. that means using more ships, that means more targets for allied subs. The reduction of Heavy Industry is an attempt to shrink expansion options and add a wrinkle into late game planning. By placing a larger strain, the need for foreign factories and resources becomes evident. Also, remember that Japan has lost a bunch in china already at game start as well.

*Juan's Aircraft Purchase System removed*
I have reduced PP for both sides, and did not want to inflate allied air frame options.

Scenario is untested. And will continually be updated as things come to light that I may have overlooked.

Compatible with DBB Ext map and meant to be played HTH.

Grauwolf
Attachments
Atheoryfor..thing#40.zip
(882.98 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Dali101

RE: Project: Atheory for Everything

Post by Dali101 »

did not understand much .........
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #1 - Concept Phase

So, I realize I have a long road ahead of me, and I'm making sure I got what I want to do fleshed out. This scenario will be a mashup of concepts generated by others that I like, as well as a few of my own. I haven't settled on a base scenario to start from just yet, right now looking at DBB-30c, but looking at BTS 2.6 as I like the work done around Yamato's "what if" influence. And would save a lot work on ships.

Here is my working time line and is subject to change.

Washington Treaty - Will follow BTS results, not sure if I'll tweak it a little.
London Treaty - Will follow BTS results, not sure if I'll tweak it a little.
1936 - 2-26 has far more ramifications on the Army, elevating the Navy further. Resources for army are lessened, given to navy which in turn abandons all previous naval treaties.
1937 - China incident happens as normal, Sino-Japanese war begins
1938 - Navy holds conference with Army with the support of the Imperial Seal. Army is persuaded to begin shifting their focus from a northern expansion to a southern one. With promises of glory and for them to maintain an administrative role within the Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, the Army begins slowly shifting resources from China. Divisional reforms are moved apace, as well as the formation of Amphibious Brigades along the lines of Yamato's SNLF Assault Brigades (BTS concept)
Greater effort is placed in promoting a pro-asia and under Naval oversight, more resources are given on the diplomatic front. this may pay dividends when war starts.
1939 - Chinese offensive happens as historical, a weaker Japanese position forces them to give up certain gains, but by 1940 the front stabilizes.
1940 - Non-aggression pact with Russia is quickly pushed for, allowing the Army to free up resources in Manchuria and shift them to China.
Thailand firmly in Axis camp, allowing for Japanese to build up some bases. Allies respond by sending more troops to the Malaya/Thai border and Air assets to Burma to further monitor the Thai military.
1941 - Japan army operations in China are restricted to strengthening LOC and rear areas in preparation for a 1942 offensive.

Additional changes I'm looking at
1. No First Turn movement bonus, except for KB. (Influenced by LST's mod, which I think works well so long as allies are balanced for it.)
2. Most Dutch units will be static.
3. Additional air frames. I figure it's okay to give options and the player can pursue what he wants. ie Liz, Rita etc.
4. No Juan's aircraft system. Will tweak allied airframe production and unit availability as needed.
5. Increase garrison requirements, not only in China, but across the board in general.
6. Add bases to China, but to limit these new bases to along major road/rail networks. (Influenced by LST's Mod)
7. Reduce base levels throughout the SRA/SPAC.
8. Adjust any initial TF and amphibious TF accordingly
9. Allow the small Independent Company later upgrade to Bn formations.
10. There will obviously be OOB and location changes.
11. Standardize Japanese Divisions somewhat.
12. Increase PP costs for various units.
13. Potentially perma-restrict much of India.
14. adjust Emergency forces, instead most would exist as static garrison forces at important locations.

Goals -
1. Not to create a fantasy land for Japan. New toys will often mean more resources needed. New units built will often be taken from existing units. And the allies will not be neglected. With this said, I do intend for Japan to be slightly stronger and part of this is immediately evident by the merging of smaller formations into larger ones.

Notes: these are just working ideas and have not been implemented yet.

to be continued
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update#2 - Japanese Collaborators or The dream of the Greater East Asia co-prosperity sphere.

Japanese experience in China and Manchuria showed them the high costs of occupation. By spreading the "light of Asia", they intended to shed the yoke of foreign influence and give rise to new independent states loyal to Japan. This extended to the design and creation of armies for these new states. With heavy influence, and arms from Japan these new armies would begin to take shape.

Indonesia - Declares independence Nov 1942. Japan officially recognizes Jan 1 1943.
Indonesian Army (TNI)
HQ Unit
6 Divisions
6 Mix Bdes
6 Reigments

Kingdom of Vietnam - Declares independence Sept 1942. Japan officially recognizes Oct 1 1942.
5 Divisions
4 Mix Bdes
6 Regiments

Kingdom of Laos - Declares independence Oct 1942. Japan officially recognizes Dec 1 1942.
2 Mix Bdes
4 Regiments

Kingdom of Cambodia - Declares independence Nov 1942. Japan officially recognizes Jan 1 1943.
2 Mix Bdes
4 Regiments

Kingdom of Thailand
OOB modified slightly, but uses Skylanders Thai OOB (naval, air and land)

Second Philippine Republic - Declares independence March 1943. Japan officially recognizes April 1943.
6 Divisions
4 Mix Bdes
6 Regiments

Reorganized Nationalist Chinese Government RGC -
Army - TBD

Manchukuo -
Army - Historical

Most of these units will conform similarly to the structure of Thai Divisions in both strength and effectiveness. Their primary use will be satisfying garrison needs and defensive fodder. To further showcase their limited viability, replacements will be tiny if not all together non-existent for much material. Therefore, once committed to battle, their ability to sustain operations and replenish losses will be very hard. In addition these units will arrive between 1943-1945 with the bulk being between 1944-1945.

The role of Garrisons comes in two parts
1. The ability to subdue the local area
2. Keep forces in certain areas.

The above units will have little flexibility as they will be tied down to their native lands which will be ensured in part by Garrison requirements. Initially Japanese forces will be required to sustain this, but over time these Collaborator units will begin to arrive and free Japanese units of Garrison duty. This in part also simulates Japanese building up and supporting the new governments until they can officially take over. The trick now will be to make these early requirements not too hindering of the early Japanese expansion.

Actual unit count and composition will no doubt change as the scenario develops.
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #3

The base of the scenario will be in utilizing much of the excellent work that has gone into RA 8.1. Mostly taking advantage of the naval work and some other aspects.

Finished adding bases to China Theater. Bases are added along most major road networks, still leaving much of the country side empty. A little over 40 bases added here.

Main Japanese OOB 90% complete. Removed where possible most company sized units, often merging them to create larger units. All divisions were recombined, removing most of the detached units. Divisions can still be broken down, but now merges the usually separate FA/Eng units found at the start of the scenario into those units. All division designated units have been designed to be broken down into 3 even units, providing any needed flexibility the player may need.

Japan air frames reworked. No more than 3 air frames in any one upgrade path.

There will be no starting amphibious task forces for Japan. Allowing the japanese player full control over the formation of said task forces on Dec 7th. It is simulated that orders to embark did not come down until the evening of Dec 6th and the morning of Dec 7th saw the first loading of troops onto transports.

Force Z will be in port at Singapore, as well as U.S. ships at a slightly reinforced Manila fleet. Giving the Japanese player 3 port strike options (PH, Manila, Singers)

Japanese tank divisions are more compact, perhaps more potent/flexible, as 3 Assault Regiments will now make up a tank division. The TOE remains mostly unchanged however.
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #4

Began working on the allied oob. Taking a slightly different approach to garrison requirements in Australia and India. The allied player will require a little less attention here as any requirements will be restricted to a few cities. The OOBs are simplified to reflect this change. A shift in thinking when considering how to treat a Japan invasion of India or Australia. It won't just come down to about destroying the allied armies for Japan, but rather how effective the japan player can garrison his gains. Garrison Requirements for japanese expansion beyond the historical boundary will rise significantly. The idea is not to fully deter invasions by the threat of additional allied forces, but rather by the burden of maintaining control of such ares.

Trying a new approach(new for me anyway) to Malaya. Many units here are given a static device to keep them from zipping back to Singapore. Furthermore, supply producing factories are spread out a little more and not all just bunched up in Singapore. The idea is to create more incentives to fight the Japanese outside Singapore, or at least simulate some of the casualties before the siege of Singapore. The larger, main combat units will not be restricted in such a manner.

Reinforcements and Rangoon. The brigades earmarked for Singapore will now arrive at Singapore. These units can be shipped out of Singapore upon their arrival at the allied players own risk.

Supply production will be spread out a little more in PI as well, and won't just all be bunched up in Manila. Again here, some Static devices and garrison requirements for the allied player will keep some units forward ready for battle, before retreating back into Bataan or Manila.

Indian brigades will now arrive at the time they were attached to their main division in WW2. In most cases the one they entered combat with. The allied player may need to put more thought into how to defend India, strengthening Calcutta/Burma too much could leave the south too exposed to amphibious invasion in the early game.

emergency forces have been removed from the scenario.

atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #5

Chinese Army -

Division and Corps designations have been removed. An Army will now represent between 1 and 3 divisions, and several armies will operate under an "Army Group" which in turn operates under a "War Area". Armies representing 1 and 2 divisions will eventually have their TOE upgraded to that of a 3 division army. These 3 division armies will then eventually upgrade to a new 43 TOE. These army units, when in 3 division TOE and up to strength, will be similar in strength to a japanese division.

Some Aviation support units will have static devices to prevent their movement. As well as many AF potential build levels in china have been reduced.

China -
A combination of constant battles, and higher garrison requirements will slow Japan's expansion into China unless more resources are committed to the area. Take note that in this scenario the Chinese had a successful, but costly 1939-1940 offensive and starting positions in China are slightly different. Are the resources inland worth future Japanese offensives? Is revenge waiting for the Chinese Army? Only the players can decide that.

ETA of scenario's release has been bumped up, from Oct to August of this year.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

ORIGINAL: GrauWolf80

Update #4

Trying a new approach(new for me anyway) to Malaya. Many units here are given a static device to keep them from zipping back to Singapore. Furthermore, supply producing factories are spread out a little more and not all just bunched up in Singapore. The idea is to create more incentives to fight the Japanese outside Singapore, or at least simulate some of the casualties before the siege of Singapore. The larger, main combat units will not be restricted in such a manner.

Reinforcements and Rangoon. The brigades earmarked for Singapore will now arrive at Singapore. These units can be shipped out of Singapore upon their arrival at the allied players own risk.

Supply production will be spread out a little more in PI as well, and won't just all be bunched up in Manila. Again here, some Static devices and garrison requirements for the allied player will keep some units forward ready for battle, before retreating back into Bataan or Manila.

This will result in an even faster conquering of Malaya/Singapore and the Philippines. It's already quicker than historical pace.
atheory

Post by atheory »

But why is that? How does it come about? These are questions I'm looking into. I cannot wave a wand and correct such issues, no. I can merely test a tweak here and a tweak there to get close to a result I'm hopeful for while taking in as many variables as possible. Will it work, who's to say. My concern extends to the ripple effect on time beyond just the immediate capitulation of Bataan and Singapore.

Should Singapore fall on say Jan 28th, is that acceptable? During that time I ponder how much and with what can the allied player reinforce Burma, Australia and other locations. Do those extra two weeks give Japan that much more time to consider expansion? Why can't the allied forces in PI and Malaya engage in a fighting withdrawal? Game mechanics perhaps deny this, TOE setup maybe......much to consider.

Also, for singapore, the reinforcements are now arriving at Singapore itself, instead of floating in on TF which are often just sailed to Rangoon instead. That means what off the top of my head, 5 Brigades will now fully reinforce Singapore between late Dec/early Jan

PI remains a mystery however. We'll get there.

I thank you for your observation. Each comment allows me to revisit my thinking.

Sincerely,
Josh

atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #6

China theater appears done, including the full remake of the Chinese OOB.

Most transport TF have been disbanded and the ships put to port.

Some relocation of Japanese Land and Air units in Thailand/Indochina area.

PI Army tweaked slightly.

Some Thai Garrison Requirements removed, giving Thai Army more flexibility. Requirements increased at Bangkok however.

A few allied air groups tweaked a little.

To Do List
Add Thai Navy/Air force (optional at this point)
Look at Japan Economy. Mostly will reduce resource production on the HI.
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #7

Some of the Royal Thai Navy has been added.

I took a modest approach when looking at the Japan economy. I made the following changes to test
1. Reduced HI resource centers by 1000
2. Increased LI resource input to 20
3. Heavy Industry supply generation reduced to 1
4. Light Industry supply generation increased to 2
5. Refinery supply generation at 0
6. Heavy Industry on HI reduced by about 500.
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #7

Release version 1.1 is available after correcting some air groups missing designated air frames and adjusted some garrison requirements.

drw61

Post by drw61 »

Thanks for working on this, I just added it to the Scenarios available for WitP AE thread.
Daryl
atheory

Post by atheory »

Awesome, thanks @Drw61
atheory

Post by atheory »

Just a quick notice....working on 1.2 at the moment. Addressing some inconsistencies with the Japan OOB/TOE.

An example, having standardized the Japan division, I elevated numerous garrison or type C divisions to type B without appropriately addressing any manpower issues that would arise from doing so.
atheory

Post by atheory »

Update #8 ...version 1.2 released and available

Extensively updated Japanese division templates, reverting backwards a bit to 4 division types, all are still triangular where applicable.
Type A - Slightly over strength with an armor attachment
Type B - mainstay of Japanese offensive divisions
Type C - reduced strength, garrison type division
Type D - Late war division lacking some divisional assets

Converted all Independent Tank Brigades into Independent Tank Groups by adding more combined arms elements. Lessons against Russia and in China showed armor without infantry support suffered. Several independent regiments were removed and two infantry battalions were added to each Tank Group. A tank group is an over strength brigade without divisional assets. Some independent tank regiments exist in the OOB, these were ones not assigned to a tank brigade during the war. Most of these are not seen until later in the war.

Some Garrison tweaks were made in Malaya and the 5th JPN Division and 27th australian brigade were relocated.
21st JPN division moved from Cam to Saigon to alleviate the over stacking in the hex.

Supply was updated for most JPN units on the map turn 1, resolving some oversight.

Armaments production, and some aircraft factories had production lowered.

Fixed a couple missing aircraft R&D factories since last updating the research paths.

JPN Cavalry Bde received a new TOE for 41 and upgrade in 43.

A note on Japanese OOB and Strength - While the Japanese have more "larger" units to play with, these were constructed from smaller units already in the OOB. Thus, no additional combat units, or manpower, were added to the structured OOB. Still, the scenario should be considered similar to Scen 2 as in a stronger japan.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”