Lots of Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Lots of Games

Post by demyansk »

I was just thinking about the number of games developed. Wow, it seems each week a new games comes out that I am interested in. However, I don't buy everyone, I still need to play the games from a few months ago.

Check this out.
LocknLoad Stalingrad, Afghanistan', Tigers on the Hunt, Civilization V, Guns of Juarez, Command Naval Air, on order - Rising Storm Vietnam, hmm - what else not at computer so I missed a bunch. This is crazy, I don't have enough time to even try all this stuff, oh I forgot, Strategic Command 3. With work, training and trying to read a few books plus watching the Mets and Rangers I am getting good at multi-tasking. Now, I know why the young kids have a hard time enduring anything.

By the way, first game I go to----- Panzer Corps!!!!!! An old game - unbelievable.

Are you guys feeling the same way?
I feel that I am not putting in the time to learn the games, one thing is that I tend to not buy everything but still like the old stuff. Luckily, I do have control. Just have to keep working at it. Now, Operational 4 is coming out, man it's tough.
Thanks guys, what do you think and anyone have the same problem and more???????
Josh

RE: Lots of Games

Post by Josh »

Yeah I hear you, feel the same way and have felt the same way for a long time. Came to the conclusion that it's much wiser to buy a few games and play them a lot, then to buy lots of games but don't have the time to play them all.
So long story short; buy fewer games, as in maybe a few each year, and enjoy them more. Easier on the wallet too :-)
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I'm exactly the same way.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
JReb

Post by JReb »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Yeah I hear you, feel the same way and have felt the same way for a long time. Came to the conclusion that it's much wiser to buy a few games and play them a lot, then to buy lots of games but don't have the time to play them all.
So long story short; buy fewer games, as in maybe a few each year, and enjoy them more. Easier on the wallet too :-)

Yep. That's my approach plus I rarely buy anything new as most new releases need patches to get them where they should have been at release. So I just wait and see with new titles.

At some point each year I always go back to PC or Civ IV. Other than TOAW IV, I don't see anything on the horizon that really grabs my attention.

I took the Paradox plunge this past Christmas and dove into HOI3, CK2 and EU4 as they are mature products that are highly regarded by most. All are well made games but CK2 and EU4 just didn't have a big fun factor for me personally. Love HOI3 though! That was a blast.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
JessK

Post by JessK »

I feel your pain. There's never enough time and money for every game you want to play. But yes, you just need to stick to smth you like best and enjoy it to the fullest. For me it usually makes 3-4 games per year and I don't feel deprived [:)]
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

Same with me, as mentioned focus on fewer game, even if it is one, I try not play many games of the same category, for example one complex wargame to learn the other is beer and pretzel when I am feeling tired or lazy, and one action packed game, once you get board of them move to others slowly, it is also very important to play game with theme you enjoy currently keep the other games on your wishlist wait for discount or a time when you are really pumped to play them, we all have limited time and energy to enjoy everything at once but its more important to enjoy them in the right time.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Same problem here. It happened when I went from begging my parents for money to buy games as a kid, to now making enough money that I can buy anything I want, and for awhile I did exactly that. My solution was that for this year I would only buy one new game for every 5 games I finished. (The definition of "Finished" varying from one game to another, but basically feeling that I had beat the game or had my fill). So far that's averaging out to about one new purchase every six weeks or so. I'm buying games at a much slower rate than before, and taking the time to finish games I already have, which is always satisfying.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

That's some good points by everyone. I feel the same way and I do buy the games at a discount. That Steam kills me
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I buy WAY too many games and don't play most of them enough. Always looking for the one game that really captures my interest.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Exactly.

Worse, I have bought a good amount of marginal games on Steam due to big discounts. However, I rationalize this bad behavior when I think of all the board wargamers who have not punched the counters on many of their games. That, and the fact that our hobby is much cheaper than golf, tennis, racquetball, boating, auto racing, womanizing...you name it [;)]

Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

My brother recently criticized the number of games I own, but when I countered that his collection of movies which he proudly boasts about far exceeds my game collection in sheer numbers, he balked. But then I mentioned the entertainment hours per dollar spent aspect with games vs. movies and he had to admit he wastes far more money entertaining himself with movies than I do with games.

Of course I don't go to the movies or buy/rent them, so for me my large game collection is simply an entertainment choice and far cheaper than most other forms of entertainment in the end.

I do admit that I own far more than I could possibly ever play, but over the years I've evolved into a bit of a wonk when it comes to games. I actually enjoy just spending time to figure out what makes them tick sometimes instead of actually playing them with any intent to finish them. Once in a while I find one I really enjoy and play it quite a bit, but most sadly end up gathering cyber dust after a few hours spent exploring them. Even so, I still spend more time with most games than I would a typical movie.

Jim
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

My go to game is Advanced tactics Gold. I too don't buy like I used to though occasional I see something I want. I also play Online games RPG type Neverwinter online is my game right now.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Neorod

Post by Neorod »

Totally, the experience is much better like that.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Jim, good perspective, I look at it the same way. Every once in a while I sit at the computer, look at my desktop, and start a HPS game. I really like Panzer Corps due to the attachment to the individual units.

Return to “General Discussion”