The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

paullus99

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by paullus99 »

Well, it was a mistake, but it could have been worse.

If you're serious about Singers, I would have gone in at night (though I know that is an issue with HR, etc). Oh well, just a lesson learned.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I'm like a freshman football player in the 10th game of the season. I'm no longer a newbie, but every now and then I let a receiver get behind me on a long pass over the middle.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

You're way ahead of history. Hold the B-29s for economy strikes at night. Pivot your focus from his navy--which has to run gauntlets to get anywhere now--to his fuel, and once northern PI AFs are ready to the Home I. industry you can reach. Strat VPs come a lot easier than BB VPs.

I have only very rarely flown my B-29s in daylight in summer 1944. There it was Burma and I had many LRCAP fighters over the target. They are real hangar queens. I've tried, with mixed success, to use them more to hit Sumatra fuel, and Tarakan. At night they're fast, and their gun rating is better than the B-24. In day, alone? Shudder.
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Thanks. I'm listening.

I've had a lot of success using the B-29s from level-9 fields against ground targets in Luzon. That particular recipe didn't seem to tucker them out. In rare cases, like Manila, that use was of such great importance that using them that way was appropriate, I think.

I'm looking for the right moment to let John know I'll commence night bombing soon. I don't want to do it right after taking a lick, as John might take that as vindictive pissyness; and I don't want to do it right after a big victory against him, as that would weaken his morale at a tender moment. But the right time will come soon now.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

It's a southern gentleman gesture for you to give him these victories; have to keep his spirits up before you destroy him.
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Termite2

It's a southern gentleman gesture for you to give him these victories; have to keep his spirits up before you destroy him.
[:D]
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I think you should start soon but just a couple of squadrons a night for a while, then start ramping up. I think starting with a 1000 aircraft raid the first night might freak him out.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Tough to see that bombardment not nail any planes.

Did you sweep Taihoku too? Get those high SR planes flying from damaged runways. Although that looks pretty far to fly unless your islands are up and running already or from the Deathstar.

Be neat if you can deploy PT boats from the forward islands.

Look at Formosa...and think ahead a little. Because you grabbed those islands, Formosa is in super precarious position.

You will be able to mass surface bombardment fleets at those Islands you have under heavy cap. From there you will be able to shut down every runway on Formosa. Those SR 3 fighters won't have a place to call home.

You kind of want to hit all the islands at once...and then sweep them, starting with the smaller bases first. Rinse and repeat, and you won't really have to use your bombers or deathstar.

Do it right, and you will really rack up the plane kills on Formosa without using your B29 or really any bomber.

Of course you need fuel, and AKEs, and more fuel.

Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

For what its worth, I think that Bullwinkle is right: Save them B-29s for economy wrecking! I also think that BillBrown has a point about ramping up night bombing slowly. While I love the idea of a 1000 bomber raid (did happen a few times in ETO in 1942 before RAF decided that they required too much planning and wen't very efficient), I think that such a raid might be a bit much (at least until mid-45).

Would the game even be able to handle the sheer number of planes involved in such a massive raid? IIRC Greyjoy's AAR against Radar had some problems with that, but its been a while since I read it (great stuff for a person who wants to learn the game)
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy
Would the game even be able to handle the sheer number of planes involved in such a massive raid? IIRC Greyjoy's AAR against Radar had some problems with that, but its been a while since I read it (great stuff for a person who wants to learn the game)

Air model has been fixed since then. [:)]
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

Air model has been fixed since then. [:)]

Much obliged to you!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

7/13/44

Indochina: The Allies are pushing forward hard against an enemy mostly giving ground. It's like Patton in France in August '44. He's scooting forward, but fuel is running low.

Attachments
071344Indochina.jpg
071344Indochina.jpg (852.46 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

7/13/44

DEI and the Pacific: My staff, consisting partly of a Lowpe-authored thread about Japanese late-game strategies, tells me that I had better watch out for more raiding efforts.

Accordingly, I'm posting more pickets and patrols in likely areas.

John is bound to raid into the Ceram Sea one of these days. He sees all this shipping; he's tried to stop it by plane and by sub, with minimal success. He sent Mini KB this way a month back, without luck. He's wanted this forever and he'll work an angle.

Meanwhile, SoPac KB is moving just west of the Marshalls and Gilberts.

Attachments
071344S..theDEI.jpg
071344S..theDEI.jpg (777 KiB) Viewed 27 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

7/13/44

Indochina: The Allies are pushing forward hard against an enemy mostly giving ground. It's like Patton in France in August '44. He's scooting forward, but fuel is running low.

[:D]
Just put a red ball on each side of your tankers and warn everyone to get out of the way!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

7/13/44

Fun House: Allied attack at Vigan tomorrow should squeeze tighter Japanese pocket in northern Luzon.

A key attack to take place at Bataan tomorrow. It'll determine how and when Peep Show gets underway. Details on map.

Attachments
071344F..eepShow.jpg
071344F..eepShow.jpg (863.72 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Part of me wants you to launch a 1000 bomber night raid just to see the other AAR thread count explode through the stratosphere.[:)]
Smoky Stoker

Post by Smoky Stoker »

Meanwhile, in history...

1 May 1888 - Confederate Brigadier General William Wirt Adams and newspaper editor John H. Martin shoot each other dead in a street encounter in Jackson, Mississippi.
"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

That's interesting. Here's a few other random notes about Civil War soldiers or their offspring long after the war:

1. CSA Brigadier General Archibald Gracie, the scion of the New York City Macy family, led his brigade at Chickamauga. Nearly 50 years later, his son wrote a book The Truth About Chickamauga. While celebrating the publication of that book by taking a trip to Europe, he returned aboard the Titanic. He survived the sinking in proximity to his NYC friends, Isidor and Ida Strauss, who didn't survive. Gracie died just a few months later.

2. CSA cavalry general John Imboden settled in southwestern Virginia, where he developing mining and railroad interests in the mountains on the Tennessee line.

3. In my game with John III, Lt. General Simon Bolivar Buckner just arrived in game in command of 10th Army. He was probably the highest ranking American general killed by enemy fire in combat during the war (there is some question about this, due to date of rank and how a couple of other officers were killed). I noted that his ratings aren't particularly impressive. His dad was a brigadier (major?) general in the CSA army.

4. US brigadier general John Wilder served with distinction at Chickamauga in command of his "Lightning Brigade" of mounted infantry. After the war, he became the mayor of Chattanooga.

5. Ohio colonel Moses Walker was removed from command just before the Battle of Chickamauga due to a relatively minor infraction. Command of the brigade fell to John Connell. The brigade was routed on the morning of the second day of the battle, Connell leading fragments from the battlefield in disarray. Moses Walker, under no duty to be in harm's way due to his arrest, rallied elements of the brigade at Snodgrass Hill, where they fought tenacious in the final grim events of that battle. Walker was wounded three times while on horseback, exposed to enemy fire. All the monuments on Snodgrass Hill refer to the command as "Connell's Brigade," even though Connell wasn't there and even though the brigade was actually Walker's. His name was cleared after the battle. After the war he became a justice of the Texas Supreme Court.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Smoky Stoker

Meanwhile, in history...

1 May 1888 - Confederate Brigadier General William Wirt Adams and newspaper editor John H. Martin shoot each other dead in a street encounter in Jackson, Mississippi.

More of the story:

Upon conclusion of the Civil War, Adams resided in Vicksburg and Jackson, Mississippi. In 1880, he was appointed as a Mississippi state revenue agent.[4] He resigned in 1885 and took the position of postmaster in Jackson by appointment of President Grover Cleveland.[4]

In 1888, Adams was made the target of a number of attacks by the editor of the New Mississippian, John H. Martin, a staunch prohibitionist and reform advocate. Adams was rebuked by Martin for, among other things, his role as a character witness in the murder trial of Colonel Jones S. Hamilton, who was ultimately acquitted for killing Roderick D. Gambrell, another newspaper editor and ally of Martin's, in a street duel.[5] On May 1, 1888, Adams, walking on President Street in Jackson with another man, encountered Martin coming from the opposite direction near the corner of Amite Street. After a brief verbal altercation, both men pulled pistols on each other, Adams firing three times and Martin six. Both died almost immediately with Adams shot through the heart and Martin in the chest, leg, and hand.[6][7] He was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Jackson.[8]
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That's interesting. Here's a few other random notes about Civil War soldiers or their offspring long after the war:

3. In my game with John III, Lt. General Simon Bolivar Buckner just arrived in game in command of 10th Army. He was probably the highest ranking American general killed by enemy fire in combat during the war (there is some question about this, due to date of rank and how a couple of other officers were killed). I noted that his ratings aren't particularly impressive. His dad was a brigadier (major?) general in the CSA army.

Simon Bolivar Buckner[Sr] ended up a Lt General in the Confederacy, he had the dubious distinction of being the first Condeferate General to surrender an army to the Union[Ft Donelson], and also the last [June 2, 1865 -Dist of Arkansas& West Louisiana] at New Orleans

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

Return to “After Action Reports”