Macro-focused hex-and-counter wargames

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Infierno

Macro-focused hex-and-counter wargames

Post by Infierno »

I've recently sunk my teeth into Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa and I'm loving it. I'm curious to know what are some other turn-based, hex-and-counter wargames that are more macro-focused than micro? Preferably operational level but I'm not picky about that aspect.

I'm looking for games that are higher depth/complexity than something like Panzer Corps/General. I like the looks WitE, but the level of micromanagement seems a bit overwhelming to me (I could be wrong as I haven't played it).

(While I'm mainly looking for computer wargames, I haven't tried any physical wargames and I'm open to suggestions for macro-focused hex-and-counter physical wargames.)

Also, if there are other good wargames based on the Advanced Tactics Gold engine I'm happy to check those out.

Thank you, and sorry in advance if this is the wrong board for this topic.
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
budd

RE: Macro-focused hex-and-counter wargames

Post by budd »

There's 2 other Decisive Campaign games, Case Blue and Warsaw to Paris. There straight hex and counter games with cards, no rpg element like DCB. If you get WITE I recommend the whole package, there's a lot of scenarios, each army group has its own scenarios. I still haven't played the main campaign, all those units seem overwhelming to me also. WITE is pretty easy to get up and running and then dive into the level of detail you want. Decisive Campaigns Case Blue full scenario has a lot of units also, with arty and air being on map units.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Infierno

Post by Infierno »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

There's 2 other Decisive Campaign games, Case Blue and Warsaw to Paris. There straight hex and counter games with cards, no rpg element like DCB. If you get WITE I recommend the whole package, there's a lot of scenarios, each army group has its own scenarios. I still haven't played the main campaign, all those units seem overwhelming to me also. WITE is pretty easy to get up and running and then dive into the level of detail you want. Decisive Campaigns Case Blue full scenario has a lot of units also, with arty and air being on map units.

Thanks man, in that case I'll have to try out WITE. I'll probably pick up Warsaw to Paris and Case Blue if they go on sale at some point, until then Barbarossa will scratch my DC itch.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Keep an eye on The Operational Art of War IV. It's along the same lines of complexity as DC, and the new version should be easier to get into and play. There are scenarios for tons of different conflicts and scales.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

As bud said WITE is the best with a lot of details and easy to play, play the scenarios only as the grand campaign is overwhelming and make things tedious on the long run.
also check WITW.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Not sure that I understand what you mean by macro vs micro, but if you are looking for operational level games, you should check out Tiller's Panzer Campaigns series. Game titles are particular battles/campaigns (ie, Kharkov, Tunisia, Sicily, Moscow), with unit counters generally representing individual battalions (of which there might be thousands on the map, depending on the scenario). Pretty simple ruleset.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Well, macro means Large-Scale.

You said:
“I'm looking for games that are higher depth/complexity than Panzer Corps/General…….”

So you are looking for large scale games with depth and complexity but you are afraid of too much micro-management.

Sounds like you are conflicted. I was where you are now about 8 years ago. I get bored real easy with most wargames.

I bought War in the Pacific – Admiral’s Edition and I was overwhelmed by the complexity and micro-management.
But, I have not seriously played any other computer wargame except WITPAE for the last 8 years.
Total addiction.

Maybe it is time for you to level up.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I know you said Operational, but it sounds like you might also enjoy Strategic Command World War II in Europe.

Rick
Infierno

Post by Infierno »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Keep an eye on The Operational Art of War IV. It's along the same lines of complexity as DC, and the new version should be easier to get into and play. There are scenarios for tons of different conflicts and scales.

Thanks, I've tried TOAWIII and found it very obtuse, but I'm looking forward to IV. I really like the flexibility of the game engine. Is there a good guide or video series you can think of that explains how TOAWIII works?

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

As bud said WITE is the best with a lot of details and easy to play, play the scenarios only as the grand campaign is overwhelming and make things tedious on the long run.
also check WITW.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna give WITE a shot for sure, and probably WITW if I end up liking WITE. Thanks for the rec!

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Not sure that I understand what you mean by macro vs micro, but if you are looking for operational level games, you should check out Tiller's Panzer Campaigns series. Game titles are particular battles/campaigns (ie, Kharkov, Tunisia, Sicily, Moscow), with unit counters generally representing individual battalions (of which there might be thousands on the map, depending on the scenario). Pretty simple ruleset.

Thanks, I've played the JT Squad Battles series and like those pretty well. I haven't gotten around to sinking my teeth into the Panzer Campaigns free demo but I'll give that a shot.

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Well, macro means Large-Scale.

You said:
“I'm looking for games that are higher depth/complexity than Panzer Corps/General…….”

So you are looking for large scale games with depth and complexity but you are afraid of too much micro-management.

Sounds like you are conflicted. I was where you are now about 8 years ago. I get bored real easy with most wargames.

I bought War in the Pacific – Admiral’s Edition and I was overwhelmed by the complexity and micro-management.
But, I have not seriously played any other computer wargame except WITPAE for the last 8 years.
Total addiction.

Maybe it is time for you to level up.

Yeah I think you're right. I'm just a bit intimidated by the mind-boggling amount of micro in a game like WitPAE. I've been loving Decisive Campaigns because it's not too micro-intensive, and the non-grand campaign WitE scenarios look like they're right up my alley. I'll be sure to give WitPAE a chance too.

ORIGINAL: Rick

I know you said Operational, but it sounds like you might also enjoy Strategic Command World War II in Europe.

Rick

I actually have that game but haven't spent much time with it yet -- thanks for the reminder that I've gotta give it another shot! [:)]

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I think my big takeaway from this thread is that I've gotta spend more time learning some of the games I've tried, and also pick up WitE/WitP and the other Decisive Campaigns games.

Return to “General Discussion”