OT: "Midway", 1976 movie

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

OT: "Midway", 1976 movie

Post by Yaab »

Finally had the chance to see the film in it entirety. A decent flick, minus the rehashed footage from "Tora!Tora!Tora!". One thing struck me, the last words by Henry Fonda who played Adm. Chester W. Nimitz

NIMITZ: 'Yamamoto had everything going for him: power, experience, confidence ... were we better than the Japanese, or just luckier?'

He said that after several sequences showing the Japanese raids being detected by American ship radars, whereas the Japanese deck officers only notice the US dive bombers during their final approach.

"LOOK, dive bombers!!!"

This, plus the Trackerish Allied SIGNIT.

SierraJuliet

RE: OT: "Midway", 1976 movie

Post by SierraJuliet »

First war movie I ever saw on the big screen. Way back in primary school days. Can't remember if I had read about Midway before or after the movie but the movie and reading kick started my interest in the IJN. I was so hooked up on Coral Sea and Midway that I can remember doing a short talk on the subject at school.

The scenes of Yorktown being struck by torpedoes was one of the things I took away from the movie. It also cemented in my mind the myth of how unlucky the Japanese were on that day until I got a hold of Shattered Sword. Now I know that most things are so much more complicated that they appear on first sight.

"LOOK, dive bomber!!!" Now that would have been a awful sight to behold after 6 months of supremacy.
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: SierraJuliet

First war movie I ever saw on the big screen. Way back in primary school days. Can't remember if I had read about Midway before or after the movie but the movie and reading kick started my interest in the IJN. I was so hooked up on Coral Sea and Midway that I can remember doing a short talk on the subject at school.

The scenes of Yorktown being struck by torpedoes was one of the things I took away from the movie. It also cemented in my mind the myth of how unlucky the Japanese were on that day until I got a hold of Shattered Sword. Now I know that most things are so much more complicated that they appear on first sight.

"LOOK, dive bomber!!!" Now that would have been a awful sight to behold after 6 months of supremacy.

Me too. Saw it in the theaters with my dad when I was in grade school. I really enjoyed it then and still think it's a pretty good movie. Yes, they mix in an unnecessary love interest and the factoids (and some of the stock footage of planes landing) aren't true to 1942, but still a good flick to watch. Particularly as a young lad with one's father on a 'guys night out'. [8D]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I didn't think much of it at all. It didn't approach the quality of "Tora Tora Tora" despite having some of the footage of that movie in it. As indicated, the "love story" was a Hollywood ploy that really killed the whole thing. There was more than enough drama in the real story so putting that stuff in was, in my humble view, absurd.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Yeah, no need to feel devastated by the death of some fictional character, when you have the slaughter of Devastators unfold in front of you.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

First saw it after working third trick as a Deputy (in those days) so I was already a veteran.(Vietnam).
The theater had those new humongous amplified stereos and the opening scenes were the Doolittle B 25's starting with that mournful winding of the starters going into the reluctant cough......a sputter...and then the throaty cough and growl of the engines coming to life....The thrill of watching those men CREATING history as the deck flagman started his instructions to Doolittle, followed by the release...........

For we who have stood at the "pointy end" of the spear...that moment gives the same feeling inside as watching Pickett's Charge in the film Gettysburg.

No further explanation is needed.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Yeah, no need to feel devasted by the death of some fictional character, when you have the slaughter of Devastators unfold in front of you.
Too true Yaab, can you imagine the impact that a scene from Ens Gray's point of view would have! True one would have to know who he was and why he was in his dingy but still, what an idea.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Yeah, no need to feel devasted by the death of some fictional character, when you have the slaughter of Devastators unfold in front of you.
Too true Yaab, can you imagine the impact that a scene from Ens Gray's point of view would have! True one would have to know who he was and why he was in his dingy but still, what an idea.

His name was Ensign Gay.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

His name was Ensign Gay.
Yes sorry, Gay, George H. Gay to be more accurate. His name was not Ensign as that was his rank, which is abbreviated Ens, sorry for the confusion..
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

The theater had those new humongous amplified stereos and the opening scenes were the Doolittle B 25's starting with that mournful winding of the starters going into the reluctant cough......a sputter...and then the throaty cough and growl of the engines coming to life....

Probably SENSURROUND sound. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

I remember that as the progenitor to Dolby and THX theater sound systems that sought to "wow" the audience. Big bass that really made you *feel* the movie. [8D]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I liked it. I knew it was full of a healthy dose of dramatization, but I think it still stands fine as in broad strokes it's basically the story of Midway. Perfectly suitable for, say, a high school history class.

I actually knew about it because, for some reason, my parents had the "novel"/book version that I read when I was perhaps 8 or 10. Which had fantastic pictures. Remember those picture sections in history books from the library? I lived for those glossy pages. First thing I looked at every time I checked out a book.

And then I watched the movie maybe 3-4 years later.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Remember those picture sections in history books from the library? I lived for those glossy pages. First thing I looked at every time I checked out a book.

Heh. Me too. By 7th grade, I read through all of the volumes of Time-Life's History of The Second World War, complete with stunning pictures and other artwork throughout.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Remember those picture sections in history books from the library? I lived for those glossy pages. First thing I looked at every time I checked out a book.

Heh. Me too. By 7th grade, I read through all of the volumes of Time-Life's History of The Second World War, complete with stunning pictures and other artwork throughout.

I've been collecting those. My grandfather gave me the ones he had in his possession and I've been expanding ever since. I ran across 12 of them in a used bookstore for 3 dollars a piece!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I've been collecting those. My grandfather gave me the ones he had in his possession and I've been expanding ever since. I ran across 12 of them in a used bookstore for 3 dollars a piece!

Last year I donated a full set to the local public library here in San Antonio. Couldn't rationalize keeping them in my house and taking up space any more.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

His name was Ensign Gay.
Yes sorry, Gay, George H. Gay to be more accurate. His name was not Ensign as that was his rank, which is abbreviated Ens, sorry for the confusion..

LOL

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Interesting ... cheers.

I have seen this movie perhaps a 100 times.

Originally I loved it - perhaps one of my favorite movies along with Longest Day, Bridge too Far, Bridge at Ramajen etc etc (long list)

.. and then I saw Tora Tora Tora...

I liked Midway less because TTT was such a well done movie and I then understood (was informed about) the reused footage..

Now I own this game... I can barely watch it.. [8D]

But it is a fine enough yarn for youngster education or as a war action movie...

Now Pearl Harbor....starring Ben..... that is some movie... [8D]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Ben Affleck's acting was the wooden fin that sunk the movie....
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Interesting ... cheers.
Now TMTSNBN ....starring Ben..... that is some movie... [8D]

Fixed it for you!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
decaro

Post by decaro »

I liked it. I knew it was full of a healthy dose of dramatization, but I think it still stands fine as in broad strokes it's basically the story of Midway. Perfectly suitable for, say, a high school history class....

If you liked the movie, then don't read "Shattered Sword" because you will never look at "Midway" the same again.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I liked it. I knew it was full of a healthy dose of dramatization, but I think it still stands fine as in broad strokes it's basically the story of Midway. Perfectly suitable for, say, a high school history class....

If you liked the movie, then don't read "Shattered Sword" because you will never look at "Midway" the same again.

I honestly don't see how the two are related at all [:'(]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”