AH-Silver Wings II

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Vipersp

RE: New Mod AH-Silver Wings

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The Unryus were an emergency wartime class commissioned after Midway. If they had the time to build ships, they would have likely built more Taihos, though with the Yamato class sucking up resources, they would have built fewer carriers.

Bill

Perhaps under the increasing influence of Yamamoto in the mid 40s the IJN could shift the view towards more large fleet CVs and skipped the other planned Yamato' sisters...
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

If the Nazis had won in the West there is no way the US sits still. If we had, there's no way the USSR survives, and then Hitler doesn't need Japan for anything at all. In fact, he probably acts to eject Japan from Asia and cripples them economically. The Axis was a useful artifice for Hitler, until it wasn't.

My major point though is that without the PTO 1941-45, the USN doesn't have the OOB you want to use in 1949-155. No Fletchers, no Essexes, no Balaos. No B-29s. Etc., etc. And from a standing start the USA could still massively out-produce Japan.

I beg to differ with yor analysis. I would argue that the Soviet Union would have defeated Germany regardless of American involvement in the war and regardless of whether or not England had made peace with Germany. Hell, I would go as far to say that, not to dismiss what the Western Allies did in Europe, that the world owes Hitler's defeat almost (not quite) entirely to the Soviets.

The Soviet Union was always a "bridge too far" for the Germans in a war of attrition. The Germans were never going to defeat the Soviets unless Germany won outright in 1941, or whatever year this mod speculates the Nazis attacked the Soviets.

That, of course, does not speak to the potential weakness of an American OOB whose existence was due partially because of American participation in the Second World War, and greatly do to the bipolar politics of the post war world.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

So I do have an ancillary question. Given the time frame covered in this mod, is any attempt made to deal with things like surface-to-air missiles? Or anti-ship guided munitions? Also, what about vehicles and LCU equipment? I'm assuming that by the 1950s Japan is at least adopting things like tanks that borrow on German designs, and does not have an armored force driving around in what were metal coffins in the late 1930s?
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

So I do have an ancillary question. Given the time frame covered in this mod, is any attempt made to deal with things like surface-to-air missiles? Or anti-ship guided munitions? Also, what about vehicles and LCU equipment? I'm assuming that by the 1950s Japan is at least adopting things like tanks that borrow on German designs, and does not have an armored force driving around in what were metal coffins in the late 1930s?

Hi Revthought,

The answers to your questions are yes;
As mentioned in the Mod description, it is based on RHS Level II and its OOB already contains ASMs and SAMs like the American Bat ASM for example and the Furyu SAM for the Japs, other Guided german missiles are already present in its OOB too , so basically I just shiffted the dates of these weapons systems to the new time frame and create some "possible" designs for Japan based on German cooperation like a version of the Arado bomber with ASM;

Regarding the land OOBs one can easily verify in many sources about the Korea war that both UN and DPRK/China fought it with WW2 era weaponry;
I made this assumption in the mod for the allies, just including the Pershings,Pattons and Centurions and a 57mm/105mm recoiless guns for the infantry and at the jap side they got basically improved ATGs, the T5 rifle which was a copy of the M1 Garand and the M5 type Chi-Ri which was a designed based on german Panther;

The Chinese OOB faced a major rework in comparison with original RHS one and IJA faces a reorganization of its infantry divisions around 1954 where there is no more types A,B or C ones but only the standartized JGSDF infantry divison type;
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

I think the only acceptable time frames for WITP:AE are:

1941-1948

because in the Scenario editor in the Campaign Pilot Pool setup area, it only goes from

"00 - 1941" to "07 - 1948"

indirectly indicating the years where everything in the game "works".
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

I think the only acceptable time frames for WITP:AE are:

1941-1948

because in the Scenario editor in the Campaign Pilot Pool setup area, it only goes from

"00 - 1941" to "07 - 1948"

indirectly indicating the years where everything in the game "works".

It may be the case but at least for 1949 it seems working fine till now..I applied the same pilot data from 1941 into the 1948 and will see how it will behave after 1949;
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Greattings to all fellow commnaders!

I wonder if anyone playing the mod right now could provide their impressions about it?
Any comments, good or bad will be appreciated, ideas, possible changes/improvements..

Cheers.

Vipersp
eromacque

Re: AH-Silver Wings II

Post by eromacque »

Hey there! THIS scenario is really, REALLY interesting! Can you tell me how you implement guided missile mechanics? I'm so curious. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK! I can only imagine how hard you've worked on this thing!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”