How long do tourists stay at a base?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

RogerBacon

How long do tourists stay at a base?

Post by RogerBacon »

I built a tourist base and watched it slowly fill up (until it got destroyed). My question is : how long do tourists stay? I don't think I've ever seen a passenger ship transporting passengers with a destination other than a tourist base.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Aeson

RE: How long do tourists stay at a base?

Post by Aeson »

Forever, as far as I know.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Aeson

Forever, as far as I know.

Maybe we should rename them "Retirement home" instead of luxury base then.
Bloodly

Post by Bloodly »

Do the tourists/retirees only pay once on entry, or all the time?
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Do the tourists/retirees only pay once on entry, or all the time?
Only on entry. If I recall correctly, it's ~3000 credits per 20,000 tourists delivered; any passenger ship carrying tourists to a resort base will carry 20,000 tourists at a time, no more and no less, regardless of how many passenger compartments you include in the design. Having large numbers of passenger compartments can still be useful for passenger ships carrying migrants, however.
aster

Post by aster »

Interesting. So to clarify - if the tourists never leave & pay only upon arrival, the resort income is capped at whatever the design's max passengers is?

I've been assuming that they were cycled in & out, therefore the max passenger # of the base more just affected the "bandwidth" of its income over time. It sounds like this assumption is wrong. And if it is, wouldn't the base become useless (from an income perspective) once filled up?
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Interesting. So to clarify - if the tourists never leave & pay only upon arrival, the resort income is capped at whatever the design's max passengers is?
More or less, though it's not 1 credit per passenger delivered so the maximum passenger capacity of the base isn't quite the same as the maximum income that the base can generate over the course of its lifetime. Upgrading your passenger compartments should also be able to extend the lifetime of existing resort bases, though the switch from Standard to Massive Passenger Compartments requires a retrofit (Standard to upgraded Standard and Massive to upgraded Massive Passenger Compartments should not require a retrofit for the change to apply, based on how other component upgrade techs work).
therefore the max passenger # of the base more just affected the "bandwidth" of its income over time.
As far as I am aware, the passenger capacity of a Resort Base has no impact on the rate at which tourists arrive until the base fills up.
And if it is, wouldn't the base become useless (from an income perspective) once filled up?
Yes, unless you improve the passenger capacity of the base through researching the component improvement tech or retrofitting more passenger compartments onto the station*. One load of tourists is always 20,000 people, so a Resort Base has a useful service life of:
- 60 loads of tourists per unupgraded Standard Passenger Compartment
- 80 loads of tourists per upgraded Standard Passenger Compartment
- 120 loads of tourists per unupgraded Massive Passenger Compartment
- 180 loads of tourists per upgraded Massive Passenger Compartment
The default Resort Base design calls for 10 passenger compartments, so it can take quite some time for a Resort Base to fill up.

* Retrofitting additional passenger compartments onto existing bases is not something I'd really recommend over replacing filled bases, because it means that either your new-build resort bases have way more passenger capacity than they actually need for quite some time or you need to deal with managing multiple nonobsolete designs in a single role, which can be a bit of a pain. Assuming you scrap the old base when you build a replacement, there probably won't be a significant difference in the cost of a retrofit versus the cost of building a new station, and retrofitting an old base to add passenger compartments will almost certainly increase its maintenance cost unless you take things off the base at the same time, whereas scrapping the old base and replacing it with a new base of the same design shouldn't change your overall maintenance costs. Building a new base may additionally be faster than retrofitting the old one, depending on how well the freighters do at providing the resort base with the materials it needs to retrofit itself and on how big of a change you're making.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

I believe you can scrap resorts if they fill up and just build them again.

I've never done this, precisely, but I've had many resort base destroyed by sabotage, and that's actually one of the things I think: "well, at least I get a new one with full capacity available."
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I don't even pay attention to the resort bases much. Occasionally I re-name them though I like the retirement home idea. Generally I try to leave private sector things to the private sector..except gas mining bases, since they are pretty important for the military as refueling stations.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Generally I try to leave private sector things to the private sector.
Resort bases are, for whatever reason, classed as state bases, and it certainly looks like the maintenance comes out of the state's pocket, at least judging from the economy summary menu.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Resort bases are, for whatever reason, classed as state bases, and it certainly looks like the maintenance comes out of the state's pocket, at least judging from the economy summary menu.

Damn Gremlins messing with the code again! -_-
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

They are state-run nursing homes. :)
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

Wow, did not know this. I hope DW2 does more simulation on the citizens then that it -does- recycle the tourists.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

We will win this war on tourism.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”