Star Trek - The Final Frontier (Beta 1.0)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rjord2021

Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

Post by rjord2021 »

A preview of work in progress on one of the cards ........

Replicating the Enterprise viewscreen.

Attachments
workonrpgcards.jpg
workonrpgcards.jpg (197.62 KiB) Viewed 154 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Below are two sample cards you will see in the mod if you decide to use role play.

At times the Enterprise will pick up a distress signal from a ship or planet and Starfleet will command the Enterprise to investigate and provide assistance. You do not get to decide which system the distress call is coming from. Role a 12 sided dice to determine the direction the signal is originating from and then roll the dice again until you get a value of 1 to 6. This is the number of systems in the direction to travel.
Refer left image below.

When the Enterprise has been in battle in Distant Worlds Universe, Kirk will receive damage reports from Scotty for all sections around the ship. Damage can occur to major or minor systems around the ship. Dice rolls will determine where damage has occurred and the severity.
Refer right image below.

Doctor Leonard McCoy will inform Captain Kirk of any ship personnel who have been injured or killed during the battle. As Captain Kirk you will need to make sure the Enterprise has the minimal number of ship personnel for ship operation.

In Starfleet while in Cruise Mode, ship's primary operational personnel are organized into three distinct working shifts. Each shift is assigned to duty status during one of three eight-hour work periods. Primary operations are defined as those functions that must be performed or enabled at all times. These are generally to insure the spaceworthiness of the vehicle, environmental support, propulsion systems operations, and the ability to perform primary missions.
Image of McCoy not shown.

Attachments
2017 role play cards.jpg
2017 role play cards.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Starfleet Cargo Missions added to the mod..... (Work in progress and being tested)

This is handy when you need a starfleet freight vessel to transport specific cargo to a destination in need of resources
In the sample picture below the required resources are Dilithium Crystals.....

To fit the resources into the window below Starfleet Cargo Transport will be renamed simply as Starfleet Cargo.

Attachments
2017Starf..Missions.jpg
2017Starf..Missions.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Section 31 added to the mod......

Section 31 exists outside Starfleet Intelligence's influence and deals with threats to Earth as well as threats to the Federation's security.

Section 31 has links to missions of James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, and the crews of Deep Space Nine as well as the USS Voyager and has been around since the Archer era.

Section 31 was linked to Admiral Cartwright's actions in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country as well as Admiral Dougherty's actions in Star Trek: Insurrection.

Attachments
2017Section31.jpg
2017Section31.jpg (150.38 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Some of the Federation Medals and Awards for Achievement added to this mod:

Christopher Pike Medal of Valor 
Cochrane Medal of Excellence 
Federation Star of Diplomacy
Grankite Order of Tactics 
Karagite Order of Heroism 
Palm Leaf of Axanar Peace Mission 
Prentares Ribbon of Commendation 
Presidential Unit Citation
Starfleet Award of Valor 
Starfleet Bronze Star
Starfleet Citation for Conspicuous Gallantry 
Starfleet Decoration for Gallantry 
Starfleet Delta Cross
Starfleet Extended Tour Ribbon 
Starfleet Legion of Honor 
Starfleet Legion of Merit
Starfleet Medal of Commendation
Starfleet Medal of Honor
Starfleet Medal Of Valor
Starfleet Purple Heart
Starfleet Silver Palm 
Starfleet Silver Star
Starfleet Star Cross 
Starfleet Surgeons Decoration 

There are 60 medals in the Achievement image folder and I need to determine which vanilla medal is awarded for a specific achievement and then replace with the Federation medal. Additional awards are to be added such as the Carrington Award and the Federation Peace Medal for examples.

Below is the Federation Council Medal of Honor Medal

Attachments
Starfleet..ofHonor.jpg
Starfleet..ofHonor.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The Tholian Web......

Attachments
2017tholianweb.jpg
2017tholianweb.jpg (131.54 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

With each Federation ship you will see the current crew compliment onboard the ship as shown below for the Enterprise.
With a smaller number of ships in the galaxy it will make it easier to keep an eye on crew numbers on all Starfleet vessels and send them back to Earth or the nearest starbase as required for taking on new crew.

Attachments
2017 New UI and Crew.jpg
2017 New UI and Crew.jpg (115.67 KiB) Viewed 153 times
RogerBacon

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: rjord1

With each Federation ship you will see the current crew compliment onboard the ship as shown below for the Enterprise.
With a smaller number of ships in the galaxy it will make it easier to keep an eye on crew numbers on all Starfleet vessels and send them back to Earth or the nearest starbase as required for taking on new crew.

Interesting. Could you elaborate on crew? What it means? How it is used and how it is incremented and decremented? I'm about to make a crew-related announcement for my mod and I would be interested in learning more about what you re doing with crew.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Hi Roger

Still working on the crew side of it but in theory when there is a battle in Distant Worlds the ships may lose crew in the battle.
I was going to reduce or increase the crew numbers manually via the editor...... however looking at your posts you seem to be adding new functions such as the mission information window which I am a bit stumped on how you created that. Obviously there is more to modding Distant Worlds than I thought was possible.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

When you battle other ships the ship may take damage and even worse some crew may be injured or killed.
The mod has a detailed system to determine damage to the ship as well as how many crew were injured or even killed.

This is one of the sections of the mod still to be finalized but as Captain you will note down in the Captain's Log any injuries or crew lost and update the ship's compliment in Distant Worlds Universe where it will be easily visible with the ship.

To determine if any crew were injured:
- Roll a 12 sided dice
- If you rolled 7 or more there have been injuries. Roll again to determine number of injured crew.

To determine if any crew were killed:
- Roll a 12 sided dice
- If you rolled 7 or more there have been injuries.
- Roll a 6 sided dice to determine how many crew were killed.
- Roll a 6 sided dice again to determine if they were command crew, security officers, medical, Engineering or science personnel.

Attachments
Chief Medical Log.jpg
Chief Medical Log.jpg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The mod will include a handy guide I am working on which will give a detailed example of how to play the mod and command the Enterprise as a captain would.

Over the years I have gathered many handy tips on how to play Distant Worlds and I will be adding these to the guide as well as the steps required to play my mod with role play if chosen.....

For example, when creating the ship design for the Constitution class starships when should you add the Deflector Shields so they can begin charging.

Attachments
CaptainKi..terprise.jpg
CaptainKi..terprise.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The mod will have a complete replacement of the research tree to faithfully reflect the research history of Federation technology.

When the mod starts research will be underway which will see Mankind build a space-station in Earth orbit with research into advanced space engine technology and discovery of impulse speed. The first spacecraft with impulse engines will explore the Sol system with research beginning into warp drive technology.

The first starship with warp speed will investigate a nearby system while research continues in early phaser weapon technology. On this first flight to a nearby system the starship will have limited weapon technology.

The starship will then return to Earth and the Enterprise NCC 1701 Constitution Class starship nears completion in Earth orbit.

The Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk will complete a shakedown cruise and return to Earth once warp drive engines become available.

The Enterprise will then explore more systems while construction begins on the next Constitution class starship.

Below is work in progress on the Axiom Space Station which is the successor to the International Space Station (ISS).

Attachments
Axiomspacestation.jpg
Axiomspacestation.jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The Axiom Station in the mod prior to impulse engine technology being developed.

Attachments
2017axiom..themod.jpg
2017axiom..themod.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The development of EM drive engine technology and testing in 2020 as shown below then led to work on a quantum vacuum plasma thruster which eventually resulted in the development and successful testing of the MK1 Impulse Engine.

Attachments
2017 Resea..rp Drive.jpg
2017 Resea..rp Drive.jpg (86.29 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The research tree not only plays an important part of Distant Worlds but will also play a significant part in the role play in this mod.
If a specific technology has not yet been researched then certain areas of the role play in the mod will not be possible.

Example..... if you have not finished research in transporter technology you will need to use the Galileo shuttle instead.

I have had a look at all tech trees around for Star Trek and, while they are good, they were not giving me what I was looking for. For this mod I am looking for technology specifically for the TOS era so when I look at Federation technology and see Namomechanics and Gouge Mining I realize I need to make my own tech tree for the mod. I could not find a reference for Nanomechanics for Star Trek and Gouge Mining was Ferengi specific technology and should not be listed as Federation technology.

So to do a complete replacement of the tech tree I start out small and add in an initial group of technology and over the next few weeks add more to it.

The picture below shows 6 research groups to start with but there is so much more to add such as communication, security technology, more medical technology, shuttle technology, tractor beam technology etc...........

Below is a screenshot taken of a spreadsheet where I was just putting down some ideas on which to expand from.

Attachments
research.jpg
research.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Dakkon7

Post by Dakkon7 »

I've always felt the default tech tree in DW Universe left more to be desired. I'm glad you're making changes to it for the mod. [:)]
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Preview of changes made to the tech tree to start adding in warp drive technology.
Overnight I completed the spreadsheet for all the tech that will be added to the tree.

When making changes to the research and component file, make sure you backup often and test frequently.

Attachments
warp3engine.jpg
warp3engine.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Impulse engine technology will be added prior to the warp technology being researched.
This will allow you to take a ship (not the Enterprise yet) and scout the Sol system and see what resources are found on the other planets.

I removed the "Hyperdrive found by investigating a ruin" option ...... you now need to research all tech in order to achieve warp drive.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The mod will include the launch of The Phoenix, the formation of Starfleet and construction of the Constitution class starships......
These of course are limited to the Federation only.

While the Phoenix is exploring the system the other steps of the research tree shown below will be researched until the Enterprise begins construction.

The idea is that particular events will be controlled by research which will create a unique item that will need to exist for particular events to occur. Example, you will not be able to create the Enterprise until research into Constitution class starships.

Still got some testing to do to make sure that what I am planning will work.

Attachments
launchof..phoenix.jpg
launchof..phoenix.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 153 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

A preview......

Characters from The Original Series

Attachments
header.jpg
header.jpg (30.19 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Return to “Design and Modding”