3 random questions

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

3 random questions

Post by IBender »

3 Random questions from global game with all options turned on.

1. Allies landed in Denmark. We took it from the germans entirely. Soon I get the option to liberate it. I decide not to. I see no affect positive or negative from choosing not to. Later I get option again to liberate it. This time I decide yes..liberate it. Again I see no change at all.

What are the pros and cons of liberating a country?

2. Twin engine fighters vs single. Does it matter? My opponent has mostly bought twin engine planes and I have mostly produced single engine planes. More often than not, I win air fights. is this just lucky on my part? or does the single vs twin engine fighter make a difference?

3. Russia moving factories. In my current game, Russia has held up well. I dont recall being prompted as Russia to move factories east...and I am only now even thinking about the concept. Can Russia move factories? If so how?

Thanks
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: 3 random questions

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Azorn01

1. Allies landed in Denmark. We took it from the germans entirely. Soon I get the option to liberate it. I decide not to. I see no affect positive or negative from choosing not to. Later I get option again to liberate it. This time I decide yes..liberate it. Again I see no change at all.

2. Twin engine fighters vs single. Does it matter? My opponent has mostly bought twin engine planes and I have mostly produced single engine planes. More often than not, I win air fights. is this just lucky on my part? or does the single vs twin engine fighter make a difference?

3. Russia moving factories. In my current game, Russia has held up well. I dont recall being prompted as Russia to move factories east...and I am only now even thinking about the concept. Can Russia move factories? If so how?

Thanks
1 - There isn't much difference with Denmark. It makes a major difference with whether or not you liberate major powers (e.g., France).

2 - Twin engine fighters lose a point off their air-to-air against single engine fighters.

3 - There are restrictions on when a major power is eligible to move factories. During the rail movement phase you right click on the city and the pop-up menu lets you move the factory.

For your last 2 questions the Players Manual provides more details than I gave herein.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
IBender

Post by IBender »

t
Awesome thank you
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thanks
1) One effect of not liberating a minor, or major, country is partisans. And Denmark does not have partisans.

RAC: 13.7.5 Liberation
You can choose not to liberate a country that could be liberated. If you do that, the country suffers the effects
of partisans as if it were marked in red on the Partisan table, until it is liberated (see 13.1, Option 46).

2) In air-to-air combat during the day, all front fighters with an orange air-to-air rating achieve one result less than normal when the front enemy fighter in the combat does not have an orange air-to-air rating. In these cases an AX result becomes a DX, a DX becomes an AA, an AA becomes a DA and so on.

Note that there are twin engine fighters that do not have this penalty during the day. They do not have the orange air-to-air rating. And that there are twin engine fighters with the penalty that does not fight well during the night (no night fighter)

3) If enemy units are in your home country you may rail factories. Or if a factory was recently destroyed. This is more or less the restriction for moving factories although at some point it might be wise to check the actual rule.

Edit: Note that the Me-262, in the picture below, is a example of a twin engine fighter which does not suffer this penalty during the day.
Attachments
0000.jpg
0000.jpg (186.94 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Another effect of not liberating is the capital will not be a secondary supply source, again not real important for Denmark unless playing without Limited Access Across Straits, or perhaps if the Allies can get a naval presence in the Baltic.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

t
Awesome thank you

Azorn, you'll need 3 rail points (at least?), so you'll only be able to do it in a Land impulse.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Another effect of not liberating is the capital will not be a secondary supply source, again not real important for Denmark unless playing without Limited Access Across Straits, or perhaps if the Allies can get a naval presence in the Baltic.

Won't it? I mean, if you don't liberate it, it is conquered, conquered capitals are secondary supply sources.
A secondary supply source for a unit is:
ï an HQ the unit co-operates with (see 18.1); or
ï the capital city of a minor country controlled by the unit’s major power; or
ï the capital city of a major power, or a minor country, conquered by the unit’s major power, or by a major power the unit co-operates with.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

2 - Twin engine fighters lose a point off their air-to-air against single engine fighters.

Think you confused this with fighter bombers. Twin engines fighters down grade their A2A results one step vs normal fighter during the day.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Won't it? I mean, if you don't liberate it, it is conquered, conquered capitals are secondary supply sources.
ï the capital city of a major power, or a minor country, conquered by the unit’s major power, or by a major power the unit co-operates with.
It won't. You haven't conquered it, you only control the hex. From 13.7.1 Conquest:
You cannot conquer a conquered minor country or territory. You may only liberate or revert it (see 13.7.5).
Paul
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

It won't. You haven't conquered it, you only control the hex. From 13.7.1 Conquest:
You cannot conquer a conquered minor country or territory. You may only liberate or revert it (see 13.7.5).

I second this. Also have a look at the "Reconquest" section a little bit earlier in the rules.. it states you can only reconquer already liberated HC. The only transition from conquered by one side is liberated by another side (and then reconquered and back and forth).
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The reconquest section is one of the reasons you might not liberate. FREX you've just taken Paris but large German forces remain adjacent. If you liberate and then Germany retakes Paris and keeps it for turn end, then it's goodbye to all the French forces (although I haven't tested this with MWiF to see if that is what happens - but by the rules, it is).
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I stand corrected, didn't know or remember there was a special ruling for minors, I was comparing the situation to France (Paris), which has a Secondary for sure in every game...

It's true what you say about France (Paris) being liberated and retaken, but...

then, how is "reverse" implemented? What does it mean? I mean, the RAW mentions the word in mainly two senses, first it sends you to 13.7.5...
but in 13.7.2 it speaks of reversion as a change of control of hexes:
Each hex it controls in a territory or home country controlled by another major power or minor country reverts to the control of that other major power or minor country

then, it speaks of reversion to neutrality as well:
Example: Germany is conquered while Germany still controls a conquered Norway. Because Germany controls no aligned home countries, Germany has been completely conquered. All German land and aircraft units are removed from the game. Norway reverts to neutrality because no major power has any influence there. All German naval units become controlled by Japan. You dice for any that are now in Allied controlled hexes. Any that survive must rebase. Unless there are Japanese controlled ports within double the range of these units, they will be destroyed

If this doesn't mean the country is previously conquered and you don't liberate it, you control the hexes and nothing else? Then you can revert it, ok, but to what? To neutrality? [&:]

In our games we didn't even think of that aspect, like in the Baltics, everybody assumed that they were giving supply to AXIS, which should mean assuming the Axis liberated them. [X(]
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You can revert a hex or a minor country to the major power that controlled it in 1939 but that power must be active, so the hex would never end up neutral.

Examples: The CW or US could revert Paris to a Free France and then Free France would be the one that decides when France is liberated.

But Germany cannot revert hexes to Vichy because Vichy comes into existence after 1939.

When the Allies get back into France any undamaged blue factories can be reverted to Free France and will produce for her even if France is not liberated yet.
Paul

Return to “WIF School”