Order of Battle for Order of Battle WWII

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Order of Battle: Pacific.

Moderators: Lukas, Erik2

AZKGungHo

Order of Battle for Order of Battle WWII

Post by AZKGungHo »

I'm trying to figure out how to go about putting together a fairly accurate OOB for scenarios. Since I'm not clear on what each unit of the game represents I'm a bit puzzled.

For example - what would a World War 2 US Army Infantry Division look like? Or a Marine Div, or an Armored one?

Should each unit represent a battalion or is it flexible depending on the map size and scale?

Any input would be gratefully received.
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Rosseau

RE: Order of Battle for Order of Battle WWII

Post by Rosseau »

Would be interested to see any OOBs you could simulate - anything to make the game more immersive.

I've always thought OOB was more tactical in scale than Panzer General when playing it. A recon unit depicted in OOB would not be a BN of course, but maybe a infantry or armor unit could. I could not role play OOB in my mind beyond company scale myself though - "10" equals ten tanks?

It is fun and of course easier to play than more complex games like HPS Squad Battles and others that simulate exactly the scale they represent.

OOB is pretty simple stuff on the surface. But it features a huge variety of units with a heck of a lot of data represented in the big (and accessible) unit file. Amen to that!

AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Well I tried Downfall at the battalion level and it won't work. It takes far too many units for just one division. Given what it looks like the map scale is I'm going to shoot for Regiment level. That should work but isn't quite as satisfying as battalion would have been. Now if I only knew how to load one of the scenarios that came with the game into the editor so I could tinker with it that would be great.
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, that is absolutely required and very easy to do. Also I assume you have Blitzkrieg DLC, as it is essential to get the really large land maps and cool equipment. Forgive me if I explain in too much detail:

Go to where OOB is installed. Such as: Steam/steam apps/common/Order of Battle Pacific/Order of Battle - WW2_Data/Content/Scenarios

Copy all the scenarios in that folder to a backup folder (e.g, 1-Backup). They are pretty small.

Now go to MyDocuments/MyGames/Order of Battle WW2/Scenarios - and copy all the original scenario folders here. All scenarios you want to modify must be in this directory. Scenarios from original and all dlc's work fine.

Start game, 0pen editor, find save/load button and load your scenario. The interface is pretty intuitive if you experiment a bit. You can change date of scenario to get more units, script, set up supply hexes, etc. Save your changes. From here, you can actually push a button and playtest your changes.

Then copy your modded scenario folder back into your main Scenario directory; you can overwrite the original, as your original files have all been backed up. Start game or campaign and play.

AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Thanks rosseau - appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll get to it fairly soon and give it a shot.
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

You've hit on a game designer's challenge- sizing the base units and terrain scale(s). Tables of authorized Organization and Equipment (TO&Es) varied by nationality and type Division and date/equipment type and availability. E.g.: '41 US (1st and 3rd) Armored Divs had assigned to them 2 Tank Regts of 3 Bns (4 equivalent) each; 1 Armored Infantry Regt(3 Bns); 1 Artillery Regt (3 DS 105mm how Bns, 1 GSR 155mm how Bn) in addition to the Divs "base" Bns of Recon, Cmbt Engr, Anti-tank, and Anti-aircraft (not to mention the non-combat types such as Signal, Supply and Transport, Medical, etc.). The problem is these 4 base bns were invaribly broken down into their company/battery levels and allocated to the Regts which would further break them down into platoons/sections and allocate them to their Bns. The US later reduced the tank rgts to just one.
Here's what my research found: '39 Pz Div-2 Pz Rgts(4 Batt "equivalent" ea);1 Pg Rgt (1 Recon/Aufklarungs Batt.,3 Inf/Schutzen Batt.,1 Inf Support weapons Batt[tripod MGs,mortars,infantry guns/field cannons]); 1 Artillerie Rgt (2 DS 105mm how, 1 GSR 150mm how Batts); base Batts:anti-tank/PanzerJaeger, anti-aircraft/FlaK. The '41 TO&E lowered Pz Rgt to 2 light,1 medium Pz Batts. The '44 Pz Divs had only 1 Pz rgt of 2 medium/main battle Batts; and typically 1 Pg Rgt and 1 Inf Rgt (motorized) along with the 1 Artillery Rgt. So based on the above you would rarely see AT, AA or SW explicitly representedon the map. This game addresses this by giving the AT ans AA "mutual support"
capability (as if they were integrated into the supported unit).
NOTE: An OoB is actually a list of all the units assigned to a particular Headquarters.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”