Up and at 'em. Mundy vs hjones6464@yahoo.co.uk

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mundy

RE: Up and at 'em. Mundy vs hjones6464@yahoo.co.uk

Post by Mundy »

Where the Geraldton invaders came from:

16th Engineer Regiment - TF 107, enroute to Legaspi - Explains that...
20th Infantry Regiment - TF 107, enroute to Legaspi
9th Infantry Rgt /1 - TF 107, enroute to Legaspi
30th Fld AA Gun Co - Pescadores
47th Field AA Battalion - Pescadores
45th Field AA Battalion - Pescadores
48th Field AA Battalion - Pescadores
31st Fld AA Gun Co - Pescadores

So, he's basically sacrificed his southern Luzon landings to do this. Less for me to deal with there, I guess.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

So, he's basically sacrificed his southern Luzon landings to do this. Less for me to deal with there, I guess.

Despite others telling you that you have an opportunity to reinforce Luzon, I don't know if its worth it. How are you going to move a convoy there at this point in the game? You'll need air cover, which means carriers. And if you bring carries, you'll give your opponent a perfect opportunity to engage into a 1942 carrier battle, which is so dangerous for the allies unless you can bring 3/2 odds or more.

It just seems like sticking your head in the Lion's mouth for no reason - if you do reinforce Luzon, so what? It's 2&1/2 years until you get Stratoforts, and your opponent can easily suppress your airfields from Formosa. You won't have the planes to mount CAP that can deal with Zero and Tojo sweeps for another year, and every time you need to supply Luzon - which will be often if you intend to try and build up the bases here and conduct air sorties - you'll be putting ships at risk. If your opponent controls Java, Horn Island, Babeldaob and the Marianas Islands, I just don't see how you'll get a convoy to Luzon. And then, if you somehow manage to get the convoy to Luzon, how do you get it back out?.

Re-supplying the Philippines is a strategy I use against the AI all the time, but against a human opponent I wouldn't dare. There's so many other places that you can throw him off balance - controlling the Andaman Sea to support an early push down Malaya, or building up the Aleutians to support a landing on the Kuriles - that allow for supported supply lines.

No matter how much you bring to the Philippines at this point in the game, your opponent can turn around and crush it at their leisure. You want to supply it with some disposable xAKs and SSTs? Sure. Commit significant men, material and valuable ships? I get nervous just thinking about it.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Hi PB.

I'm not really sure I could pull off such a thing anyway. My transports are scattered to the winds as it is.

There's no way I can dive into such a thing, and a lot can happen between now and when I finally could.

If I did, I would take a more northerly approach, past Wake, which he never bothered to take yet. Two carriers would probably be enough to protect them against all the little bases enroute.

It would have to depend on whether KB sits near Australia.

At this point, I'm not planning on it.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Playing Japan is a delicate thing. There is not a substantial margin for error, especially in the opening moves. Certain things must be done, and they must be done in a timely fashion. New players to the game, who want to play Japan, look at all the units and aircraft and think that the whole map is there to be taken, and it is only a matter of deciding what they want to take first. Such is not the case.

Sumatra, Java, Borneo, and Burma must be taken. Palembang must be taken very quickly, within 4 weeks. The U.S. army and air force on Luzon must be dealt with.

The amphibious bonus runs out at the end of March. Therefore, Japan can not just "turn around" and transfer 5 divisions from Australia to Luzon or Burma or Palembang on a moments notice. Large amounts of supply have to moved if Japan ever wants to recover any disabled squads or receive replacements. Aviation support must be moved back to Formosa before any air battle can commence over Luzon, Java, Burma, etc. Naval support must be moved, especially after the amphibious bonus ends. If the airfields on Formosa or in Thailand are bombed, construction units also have to be moved. All of this is using massive amounts of fuel. Fuel that Japan cannot replace without Palembang.

If he does not move 5 divisions back from Australia and Pine Woodlands or whatever other dot base he has placed units in (how he will load them from places such as this for a return trip to anywhere, I have no idea), then Luzon will not fall, if it is resupplied. If he does, you can destroy what remains in Australia piecemeal as he draws down his forces for the return trip to Luzon.

This is why the game is over if you resupply Luzon.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

Playing Japan is a delicate thing. There is not a substantial margin for error, especially in the opening moves. Certain things must be done, and they must be done in a timely fashion. New players to the game, who want to play Japan, look at all the units and aircraft and think that the whole map is there to be taken, and it is only a matter of deciding what they want to take first. Such is not the case.

Sumatra, Java, Borneo, and Burma must be taken. Palembang must be taken very quickly, within 4 weeks. The U.S. army and air force on Luzon must be dealt with.

The amphibious bonus runs out at the end of March. Therefore, Japan can not just "turn around" and transfer 5 divisions from Australia to Luzon or Burma or Palembang on a moments notice. Large amounts of supply have to moved if Japan ever wants to recover any disabled squads or receive replacements. Aviation support must be moved back to Formosa before any air battle can commence over Luzon, Java, Burma, etc. Naval support must be moved, especially after the amphibious bonus ends. If the airfields on Formosa or in Thailand are bombed, construction units also have to be moved. All of this is using massive amounts of fuel. Fuel that Japan cannot replace without Palembang.

If he does not move 5 divisions back from Australia and Pine Woodlands or whatever other dot base he has placed units in (how he will load them from places such as this for a return trip to anywhere, I have no idea), then Luzon will not fall, if it is resupplied. If he does, you can destroy what remains in Australia piecemeal as he draws down his forces for the return trip to Luzon.

Even if having Luzon is as valuable as you seem to think it is for the allies in 1942 (I don't think it's valuable until the allies can actually protect the airfield there), how do you propose re-supplying Luzon without trying to thread a TF through Betty covered waters? If carriers are brought, I can't help but think that the Japanese player would be rubbing their hands in anticipation of vectoring the KB to the area and dismantling the US carrier fleet.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

Even if having Luzon is as valuable as you seem to think it is for the allies in 1942 (I don't think it's valuable until the allies can actually protect the airfield there), how do you propose re-supplying Luzon without trying to thread a TF through Betty covered waters? If carriers are brought, I can't help but think that the Japanese player would be rubbing their hands in anticipation of vectoring the KB to the area and dismantling the US carrier fleet.

Well. He has lost 2 CVs, so I don't think that CV cover would be a good idea in this instance. Under other circumstances, where the allies bypass Luzon, possibly. I think the best thing would be to just send in an uncovered TF, or covered only with a SCTF.

Betty-covered waters is unlikely if you move over Wake, where you can pick up some land-based air cover for a moment, against the possible threat of Nells from Kwajalein. I would go just to the north of Wake. It is likely that the TF will not even be detected. His Mavises have to be focused south or he would have no naval search around Australia. Even if the TF is detected, he would have to have an air HQ at a base in range, in order to make a torpedo attack. Bombs from Betties are not very frightening to any ship. So the question is: where are the Japanese air HQs. A crafty allied player should be able to piece together the location of the Japanese air HQs.

Even if there is an air HQ present and Betties waiting with torpedos for an allied convoy to move through CentPac, there is no guarantee that Betties will fly much beyond 10 or 11 hexes. You have no idea how many times my Betties have failed to attack a TF more than 10 or 11 hexes away. In fact, I would say that the odds of actually launching and locating the TF from more than 10 hexes are less than 1 in 3, unless the Betty squadron has been trained in naval search to 60 or better and at least 20% of the squadron is actively searching. Then the odds go up to about 1 in 2. The Betty and Nell pilots start the game with about 35 naval search. If he has been training a squadron of Nells or Betties in naval search since mid-December, he may have a squadron that is likely to make a long-range naval attack. If not, the chances are pretty slim.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

29 January 1942

Looking forward to February, as come of my xAKs can convert to xAPs then. A big bunch of xAKs from Panama will arrive next turn, many of them convertible.

Landings
Oosthaven

Losses
Charleville
Singkep
Thousand Ships Bay

The southern half of Java is taken now. He finally lands at Oosthaven.

The two MG battalions I had at Charleville surrender, which sucks, the armor gets out.

I take two transports at Maryborough. KB, or at least Hiryu is still sitting in that hex. I'm moving more subs in there. Keeping carriers there makes no sense, as it should hobble his air operations.

Dutch troops are loading at Sabang. I had a second convoy showing there, but I won't need them, I think. Indomitable has joined Hermes and they are nearby. I plan to cover the strait in case he sends troops up by ship. Royal Sovereign, a couple cruisers and a DD are enroute to Moulmein for a bombardment. He'll be learning about this as the game goes on.

Chinese attack at Lang Son. I get 2-1, but don't take it yet. Losses are about equal. It probably won't last more than 2 days.

Mundy

Post by Mundy »

30 January 1942

Landings
Misool
Shortlands

Losses
Condamine
Oosthaven
Pingsiang

Lang Son falls to my Chinese forces.

My troops from Bataan will reach Subic next turn.

A whole bunch of armor will reach Bundaberg next turn. He attacked again, and suffered for it. Hopefully, I can punch through them and collapse Maryborough. One IJA unit has approached the hex next to Brisbane. Bombers will hit them next turn.

I'm guessing he brought every para in his arsenal to Australia.
Ground combat at Bundaberg (96,155)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 19013 troops, 297 guns, 196 vehicles, Assault Value = 661

Defending force 16189 troops, 225 guns, 250 vehicles, Assault Value = 356

Japanese adjusted assault: 215

Allied adjusted defense: 383

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1537 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 59 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
107 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Assaulting units:
38th Division
16th Infantry Regiment
II./4th Infantry Battalion
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
24th Infantry Regiment
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
2nd Mortar Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
16th Army
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
161st Infantry Regiment
34th Infantry Regiment
3rd Australian Division
29th Australian Brigade
111th USN Base Force
112th USA Base Force
1st Medium Regiment

---------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Bundaberg (96,155)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7807 troops, 79 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 330

Defending force 25385 troops, 325 guns, 283 vehicles, Assault Value = 570

Assaulting units:
34th Infantry Regiment
161st Infantry Regiment
3rd Australian Division
29th Australian Brigade
112th USA Base Force
111th USN Base Force
1st Medium Regiment

Defending units:
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
16th Infantry Regiment
38th Division
24th Infantry Regiment
2nd Mortar Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
II./4th Infantry Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
16th Army
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

31 January 1942

Landings
Mussau Island

Losses
Shortlands
Mergui
Misool

Troops from Bataan reached Clark (I think I mis-identified it as Subic before). They're attacking this turn.

Troops at Lang Son are pushing west.

My troops at Pegu are crossing the river eastwards. There's four units on the other side. If they're weak-ish, I can start rolling down the peninsula.

Encircled

Post by Encircled »

This is an all out Oz attack. Anything you've got spare needs to be building forts in Sydney and Melbourne.

In my current game my opponent did something similar and I only just held him off, but only by putting a lot of spare units into Oz.

Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Been doing that...

01 February 1942

Landings
Pamekasan

Losses
Bowen
Mussau Island
Toowoomba
Rockhampton

Everything is coming apart at the seams in Australia. I'm getting everyone out of Brisbane. If he moves past there, I can hopefully have more troops to send back. The Australian Division and UK Armored brigade have reassembled and are railing down to Diamond Harbor. Hopefully I don't lose Perth before they get there, as troops to the north are on the move. Everyone at Bundaberg is pulling out. I had been holding them off, but too many Japanese are inbound at this point.

The attack at Clark goes off. I get 1-1 on him despite having 6 times the AV he has. I went through and put new commanders in all the units. There's not much to choose from for the Philippine units, all the choices having a land value < 50.
Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 43409 troops, 774 guns, 448 vehicles, Assault Value = 2020

Defending force 14814 troops, 195 guns, 185 vehicles, Assault Value = 326

Allied adjusted assault: 952

Japanese adjusted defense: 553

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1500 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 102 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 17 destroyed, 78 disabled
Guns lost 33 (2 destroyed, 31 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1308 casualties reported
Squads: 19 destroyed, 210 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 26 disabled
Guns lost 48 (3 destroyed, 45 disabled)
Vehicles lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Assaulting units:
51st PA Infantry Division
71st PA Infantry Division
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
11th PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
1st PA Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion
31st PA Infantry Division
21st PA Infantry Division
14th PS Engineer Regiment
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
194th Tank Battalion
91st PA Infantry Division
4th Marine Regiment
41st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Division
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
I Philippine Corps
Provisional GMC Grp
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
Kanno Det
65th Brigade
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
14th Army
48th Field Artillery Regiment
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

3 Days until the Pegu troops cross the river.

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Been doing that...

01 February 1942

Landings
Pamekasan

Losses
Bowen
Mussau Island
Toowoomba
Rockhampton

Everything is coming apart at the seams in Australia. I'm getting everyone out of Brisbane. If he moves past there, I can hopefully have more troops to send back. The Australian Division and UK Armored brigade have reassembled and are railing down to Diamond Harbor. Hopefully I don't lose Perth before they get there, as troops to the north are on the move. Everyone at Bundaberg is pulling out. I had been holding them off, but too many Japanese are inbound at this point.

The attack at Clark goes off. I get 1-1 on him despite having 6 times the AV he has. I went through and put new commanders in all the units. There's not much to choose from for the Philippine units, all the choices having a land value < 50.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 43409 troops, 774 guns, 448 vehicles, Assault Value = 2020

Defending force 14814 troops, 195 guns, 185 vehicles, Assault Value = 326

Allied adjusted assault: 952

Japanese adjusted defense: 553

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1500 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 102 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 17 destroyed, 78 disabled
Guns lost 33 (2 destroyed, 31 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1308 casualties reported
Squads: 19 destroyed, 210 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 26 disabled
Guns lost 48 (3 destroyed, 45 disabled)
Vehicles lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Assaulting units:
31st Infantry Regiment
1st PA Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
194th Tank Battalion
4th Marine Regiment
I Philippine Corps
Provisional GMC Grp

Defending units:
Kanno Det
65th Brigade
14th Army

3 Days until the Pegu troops cross the river.

That is a good first effort. Remember, he is in x3 terrain so every disabled squad of his reduces his combat AV by 3. Regroup and go again. He has no forts and no heavy weapon, other than his artillery, so you may be able to shock attack. You were within 150 AV of 2 to 1, so the next attack will probably come off at 2 to 1. That is some very nice artillery that he has there... be nice to destroy some of those guns. Those Ind. Art. Mort. do not look like much, but they are actually some of the best heavy artillery Japan has.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

If you had shock attacked you would have gotten 2-1 or even 3-1 as you were almost at 2-1 with a deliberate attack.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Thanks, I have always had trouble gauging the ground war.

02 February 1942

Landings
Stewart Island
Wessel Islands

Losses
Alice Springs
Medan
Oodnadatta
Pamekasan
Stewart Island
Tjilatjap

Dancing all around Palembang, but not quite going there.

And so it begins...
Night Naval bombardment of Brisbane at 96,160 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

79 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Kako, Shell hits 3
CL Tatsuta, Shell hits 4, on fire
CL Tama
CL Abukuma

Allied Ships
xAK Andrea Luckenbach, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Manpower hits 3
Fires 207
Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 19
Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 1

Brisbane Fortress firing at CA Kako
CA Kako firing at Brisbane Fortress
Brisbane Fortress firing at CL Tatsuta
CL Tatsuta firing at Brisbane Fortress
CL Tama firing at Brisbane
CL Abukuma firing at Brisbane

Some APDs have been sighted between Brisbane and Newcastle, heading SW, probably to Newcastle. Force Z is going to pay a quick in and out visit. I shouldn't get within range of KB. I'll probably be yanking them out pretty soon. Intel monkey shows a base unit prepping for there, so this is probably credible.

Apart from the far north, China's been quiet. I caught the troops escaping Lang Son and will hit them again.

I take Clark. I haven't driven all the troops out yet, so I have to waste another day before moving on to Manila.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 41858 troops, 771 guns, 448 vehicles, Assault Value = 1784

Defending force 13371 troops, 195 guns, 185 vehicles, Assault Value = 231

Allied adjusted assault: 700

Japanese adjusted defense: 301

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Clark Field !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3971 casualties reported
Squads: 116 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 329 destroyed, 56 disabled
Engineers: 131 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 146 (138 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 137 (134 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 9

Allied ground losses:
747 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 120 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 20 (2 destroyed, 18 disabled)
Vehicles lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
31st Infantry Regiment
1st PA Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
194th Tank Battalion
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
4th Marine Regiment
Provisional GMC Grp
I Philippine Corps

Defending units:
Kanno Det
65th Brigade
14th Army
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

If at first your don't succeed attack again.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

03 February 1942

Landings
Batjan

Losses
Brisbane
Bundaberg

Things are falling apart in Australia. Hopefully, I think I can get most of the combat troops that were north of Brisbane out of there. They're about one step ahead of the Japanese as it is. My move with Force Z turned out to be reckless, as KB meandered south, hitting them. Repulse was sunk and PoW was badly beaten and I'm uncertain she can escape at her 5 knots. I never did encounter those APDs. Someday, I'll manage to curb these knee-jerk moves.

Reinforcements are starting to move. The 9th Australian Division showed at Aden and is loading. Likewise, the 44th UK Division and 7th SA Armored Brigade arrived at Cape Town and are also loading. I'm sending everyone to Melbourne for now. The South African Brigade is seriously heavy, with over 100 Valentines and 52 Stuarts. He won't be stopping them. The 6th Australian and 7th UK Armored Brigade is about 3 days from Diamond Harbor, where they will also ship out. I think this can make a difference in Oz, once they finally arrive.

I finish off things at Clark, kicking them out. Almost everyone is enroute to Manila, but I left a couple units behind to guard. The hexes north and east have single Japanese units, so after Manila, I'll be squashing everyone around.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 40907 troops, 769 guns, 447 vehicles, Assault Value = 1646

Defending force 1590 troops, 0 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Allied adjusted assault: 1016

Japanese adjusted defense: 7

Allied assault odds: 145 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
556 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 42 disabled
Vehicles lost 20 (8 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
4th Marine Regiment
194th Tank Battalion
31st Infantry Regiment
1st PA Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
I Philippine Corps
Provisional GMC Grp

Defending units:
14th Army

I'm turning things around in the far north of China, retaking Hami. I'm pursuing his troops south.
Ground combat at Hami (81,17)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3368 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 109

Defending force 915 troops, 24 guns, 92 vehicles, Assault Value = 44

Allied adjusted assault: 62

Japanese adjusted defense: 27

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Hami !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
50 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 49 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 19 (16 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Vehicles lost 63 (62 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Allied ground losses:
170 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
259th Brigade
9th Separate Brigade
19th Chinese Base Force

Defending units:
15th Tank Regiment
5th Armored Car Co
21st AA Regiment

Interesting fight at Tandjoengbala, which is in Sumatra a bit north of Palembang. Local forces beat off his attack. Maybe he didn't bring enough.
Ground combat at Tandjoengbalai (47,78)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 120 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Defending force 757 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 32

Japanese adjusted assault: 0

Allied adjusted defense: 9

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 99 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
118 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /2

Defending units:
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion

In a few days, I'll have a bunch of transports back at Pearl. I have to think if I want to run a convoy to Luzon. I'd probably run it past Wake, which he's still never taken yet, past Marcus and then past Iwo until I get there. Two carriers should provide enough cover against the usual island forces. KB is deeply embedded in Australia as it is, so I probably won't have to worry about them.

Two mech units from Pegu managed to cross before everyone else. I cringed at the odds, but I inflicted damage while receiving none, which was comforting. The 252 AV he has won't stop squat when my forces get there. I'm going to rout them all the way down the peninsula. Hopefully I can reach the Gurkhas trying to make their way north. He has a stray unit to the north, but Pegu is well guarded with more Dutch on the way. They'll be unloading next turn.
Ground combat at 56,54 (near Moulmein)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 358 troops, 0 guns, 69 vehicles, Assault Value = 44

Defending force 10565 troops, 56 guns, 120 vehicles, Assault Value = 252

Allied adjusted assault: 16

Japanese adjusted defense: 155

Allied assault odds: 1 to 9

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
155 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 36 disabled

Assaulting units:
B Sqn 3rd Hussars Regiment
3rd Cavalry Regiment

Defending units:
4th RTA/B Division
3rd RTA Division
4th RTA/C Division
Southern Army

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Jolly good show!
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Better put extra fighters squadrons on those two carriers and maybe vindicators because they have a range of 10 and will make better scouts.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Yeah, forgot about the extra capacity. I've put a VMF on each and swapped VS-3 for some SB2Us.

04 February 1942

Landings
None, today

Losses
Batjan

His SNLF at Tandjoengbala suddenly died today, leaving that in my hands. Dave is taking some short cuts in some areas, it seems.

SE of Pegu, I cross the river and kick them out. I'm continuing on to Moulmein.
Ground combat at 56,54 (near Moulmein)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 39106 troops, 440 guns, 162 vehicles, Assault Value = 1711

Defending force 10423 troops, 56 guns, 120 vehicles, Assault Value = 226

Allied adjusted assault: 451

Japanese adjusted defense: 215

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
3483 casualties reported
Squads: 94 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 207 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 11 (5 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (20 destroyed, 15 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Allied ground losses:
1084 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 70 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
3rd Cavalry Regiment
1st Burma Division
3/16th Punjab Battalion
SSVF Brigade
Rangoon BAF Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
B Sqn 3rd Hussars Regiment
10th Burma Rifles Battalion
Railway BAF Battalion
46th Indian Brigade
1st Gloucestershire Battalion
18th British Division
45th Indian Brigade
4th Burma Rifles Battalion
BFF Brigade
3rd Burma Rifles Battalion
Upper Burma BAF Battalion
17th Indian Division
272/273rd Bty 80th AT Gun Regiment
5th Field Regiment

Defending units:
4th RTA/B Division
3rd RTA Division
4th RTA/C Division
Southern Army

In China, in Ichang, we've had two groups staring at each other for quite some time without fighting. We're probably about even, as I have 2,000 AV there. I've noticed that a few hexes to the west, I have another 2,000 AV just sitting there, so I'm moving them over to maybe take that city.

At sea, everything's a mess in the Brisbane area. I have ships trying to get away, and subs from both sides are infesting the area. PoW succumbs to one of them. A few fights happened when I sent some CLs up to interfere. Shokaku took some hits, but I doubt it's real serious.
Night Time Surface Combat, near Coffs Harbour at 95,163, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Shokaku, Shell hits 4
CV Akagi
DD Oyashio
DD Yukikaze
DD Yugure
DD Sagiri
DD Tsuga
DD Hishu
TB Tomozuru
TB Hiyodori, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 1
CL De Ruyter
CL Mauritius
CL Boise, Shell hits 2
DD Sims, Shell hits 1
DD Hughes
DD Evertsen
DD Kortenaer
DD Piet Hein

Improved night sighting under 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Overcast Conditions and 92% moonlight: 8,000 yards
Range closes to 24,000 yards...
Range closes to 22,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 22,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards...
Range closes to 18,000 yards...
Range closes to 16,000 yards...
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
Range closes to 12,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages CV Akagi at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages CV Shokaku at 8,000 yards
DD Hishu engages CL Boise at 8,000 yards
DD Tsuga engages CL Boise at 8,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages DD Tsuga at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages DD Yugure at 8,000 yards
DD Yukikaze engages DD Piet Hein at 8,000 yards
DD Yugure engages DD Hughes at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages TB Hiyodori at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages TB Tomozuru at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
DD Hughes engages CV Akagi at 9,000 yards
DD Hughes engages CV Shokaku at 9,000 yards
CL De Ruyter engages CV Shokaku at 9,000 yards
CL Java engages DD Tsuga at 9,000 yards
DD Hishu engages DD Piet Hein at 9,000 yards
DD Yugure engages DD Piet Hein at 9,000 yards
DD Yukikaze engages DD Evertsen at 9,000 yards
DD Hughes engages DD Oyashio at 9,000 yards
DD Hishu engages DD Sims at 9,000 yards
CL Boise engages TB Tomozuru at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
CL Boise engages TB Tomozuru at 11,000 yards
CL Mauritius engages CV Akagi at 11,000 yards
CL De Ruyter engages CV Akagi at 11,000 yards
CL Java engages CV Shokaku at 11,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Evertsen at 11,000 yards
DD Yugure engages DD Hughes at 11,000 yards
DD Evertsen engages DD Yukikaze at 11,000 yards
DD Oyashio engages DD Hughes at 11,000 yards
DD Yukikaze engages DD Sims at 11,000 yards
CL Boise engages TB Tomozuru at 11,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages CV Akagi at 12,000 yards
DD Hughes engages CV Shokaku at 12,000 yards
DD Hishu engages DD Sims at 12,000 yards
CL Java engages CV Akagi at 12,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Piet Hein at 12,000 yards
DD Yugure engages DD Sims at 12,000 yards
DD Tsuga engages DD Hughes at 12,000 yards
CL De Ruyter engages TB Hiyodori at 12,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
CL Boise engages DD Oyashio at 13,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages CV Shokaku at 13,000 yards
DD Hishu engages DD Evertsen at 13,000 yards
CL Java engages DD Tsuga at 13,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

---------------------------------------------

Night Time Surface Combat, near Coffs Harbour at 95,163, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 3
CA Tone, Shell hits 3
CL Isuzu
DD Ayanami, Shell hits 1
DD Yunagi
xAK Arima Maru
xAK Seattle Maru
xAK Akiura Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire
xAK Keiyo Maru
xAK Seia Maru
xAK Tatukami Maru
xAK Tamon Maru
xAK Yamazato Maru
xAK Zenyo Maru
xAK Kosin Maru
xAK Nissan Maru
xAK Nichiyu Maru
xAK Nitisan Maru
xAK Mexico Maru, Shell hits 3
xAK Ishikari Maru, heavy damage
LSD Shinshu Maru
AMC Hokoku Maru
PB Kinsyo Maru #2
PB Tonon Maru
PB Naruto Maru #3, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Suyozai Maru
PB Toko Maru #4, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 1
CL De Ruyter, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Mauritius
CL Boise, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Sims, Shell hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hughes
DD Evertsen, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Kortenaer
DD Piet Hein

Japanese ground losses:
57 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Improved night sighting under 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Overcast Conditions and 92% moonlight: 8,000 yards
Range closes to 21,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 21,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 8,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Boise at 8,000 yards
CA Tone engages CL Boise at 8,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Java at 8,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Piet Hein at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages PB Toko Maru #4 at 8,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Evertsen at 8,000 yards
CL Boise engages PB Naruto Maru #3 at 8,000 yards
DD Sims engages BB Hiei at 8,000 yards
DD Sims engages xAK Mexico Maru at 8,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages xAK Akiura Maru at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Boise at 6,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Mauritius at 6,000 yards
CL Isuzu engages CL Boise at 6,000 yards
CL Java engages DD Yunagi at 6,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Piet Hein at 6,000 yards
CL Java engages PB Toko Maru #4 at 6,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Evertsen at 6,000 yards
CL Boise engages PB Naruto Maru #3 at 6,000 yards
CL Mauritius engages PB Tonon Maru at 6,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages xAK Mexico Maru at 6,000 yards
DD Evertsen engages xAK Nichiyu Maru at 6,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages xAK Akiura Maru at 6,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Boise at 4,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL De Ruyter at 4,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Java at 4,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Piet Hein at 4,000 yards
CL Java engages PB Toko Maru #4 at 4,000 yards
DD Evertsen engages DD Ayanami at 4,000 yards
DD Sims engages DD Yunagi at 4,000 yards
CL Java engages xAK Mexico Maru at 4,000 yards
DD Evertsen engages xAK Zenyo Maru at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
xAK Keiyo Maru collides with xAK Ishikari Maru at 95 , 163
BB Hiei engages CL Boise at 2,000 yards
CL De Ruyter engages CA Tone at 2,000 yards
CL Java engages CL Isuzu at 2,000 yards
DD Yunagi engages DD Evertsen at 2,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Piet Hein at 2,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Evertsen at 2,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Sims at 2,000 yards
DD Evertsen engages xAK Mexico Maru at 2,000 yards
DD Piet Hein engages xAK Zenyo Maru at 2,000 yards
DD Evertsen engages xAK Akiura Maru at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CL Boise at 5,000 yards
CL Mauritius engages CA Tone at 5,000 yards
CL De Ruyter sunk by CL Isuzu at 5,000 yards
DD Yunagi engages DD Piet Hein at 5,000 yards
DD Ayanami engages DD Evertsen at 5,000 yards
BB Hiei engages DD Kortenaer at 5,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Troops are marching to Manila and Haiphong. Aussies are loading onto ships. At least one USA regiment is at sea near Pago Pago headed for Australia. Once all my guys from Brisbane and north are assembled, I can get some proper lines formed. He has one unit approaching Bourke, and I've got commandos there waiting.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Very good concise updates thank you Ser M.

I have read many Allied AARs and "all in Australia this early is a bit new to me".Regarding challenges in Oz.

Correct me if wrong but there are 3 or 4 Divisions that can be reconstituted in Australia (in stock game) ?? 1st, 2nd, 5th and 8th or some such thing. Scattered elements around Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra (if memory serves me correctly) and further Armored brigades, Machine gunners, etc all within the interior.

You are attempting to establish a forward line, re build all divisions, concentrate forces... check..

although you have not quite indicated where... (1) originally Townsville, (2) now pulling back from Brisbane... (3) Geraldton is under water (4) but Perth is still relatively safe ... no mention of Darwin which is the usual first axis of attack ? Plus crossing the Brisbane hex spawns emergency replacements and all the Coys that build in Sydney in the next 6 months...

Question:

Is it really a mess - has your opponent brought "that much" or is it mostly organizational challenges?

Is all in in Oz one of those auto-victory tactics ?

Secondly I can see supply and TOE upgrades being an issue over the medium turn... but apparently your opponent is all in in Australia ignoring Luzon, Palembang (significant issues) and Rabul, Shortlands, Munda,

..and more importantly Guadalcanal, Noumea, Luganville, Suva... so he cannot intervene in your SLOC from the USA.

Am I missing the whole picture here ? Is this offensive a bit short sighted even if we completely ignore "potential" in Luzon / DEI ?
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Return to “After Action Reports”