A clue

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

A clue

Post by IBender »

One advantage to playing a global game into 1944 and 1945 is you really get to see how much you dont know. Here is the general situation which the attached picture should help. Basically 1944 I had ships and troops and transports / amphibious in bay of biscay and western mediterainean. I was able to land successfully in southern france from the western mediteranean.

Because Marseilles was well defended by Italians I marched overland and captured a harbor south of Bordeuax. All this went well. Next comes my confusion. I began to have problems unloading troops. I noticed that in Southern France I was able to land foot infantry just fine into hexes that I had captured...even though I didnt have a harbor (med side of southern france) there (note - I thought I needed a harbor to unload troops into..but this seems wrong) can I get clarification on this? If I recall correctly I landed in south france, foot infantry, but was not able to land mech or armor. Why?

Next, in the hex just south of Bordeau (in picture its on coast and wooded and empty of any troops) I thought I was going to be all clever and so I moved the americans inland thus leaving the wooded coastal hex open as I had foot infantry in ships in bay of biscay, unfortunately this all got messed up. 0 of my troops would land in that spot. Why might that be?

Basically I am finding success in southern france because I took him by surprise and had numbers, but due to my confusion on what can land where and why, I was super slow in moving inland and securing my position. Hope this makes sense and anythoughts on this situation regarding landing troops would be appreciated. I have several armor and mech corps in the mediteranean that cant seem to land and now I think I need to send to the bay of biscay to land at the ports, as you can imagine this is a huge waste of time.

Attachments
why1.jpg
why1.jpg (322.16 KiB) Viewed 52 times
brian brian

RE: A clue

Post by brian brian »

An HQ or MAR can debark into any friendly hex.

Another land unit can debark onto any HQ unit.

Without an HQ, units can only debark into a port.

Unless....the Amphibs Optional is ON. If you have both AMPH and TRS units, non-Motorized Infantry can debark from an AMPH into any friendly hex - or invade an enemy hex. Motorized units can not be loaded onto an AMPH.

If SCS Transport Optional is ON, non-motorised infantry class divisions can debark from an SCS into any friendly hex, or invade an enemy hex.

All of this is IIRC, but I think it is all correct.
IBender

Post by IBender »

That is helpful. I can see my mistakes.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Correction: Per RAW7 Motorized units can be carried by and invade from an Amphib.
If you are playing with the amphibious option, you can’t transport HQ-A, ARM, MECH, aircraft, or artillery units on AMPHs. MAR and divisions can still invade from TRS units (or SCS if using option 25 ~ see 11.4.5) but other land units can only invade from AMPHs.

The list above of prohibited units for Amphibs was later clarified to also prohibit Cavalry.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

The list above of prohibited units for Amphibs was later clarified to also prohibit Cavalry.
What? No horse marines? [:)]

(Actually, I don't think I knew this. Thank you.)
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Well, it was inside 11.14, and 22.4.12 (Amphibious units (option 26)) didn't rule otherwise
11.14 Invasions
Invasions allow land units to attack enemy held coastal hexes in a sea area you have transported them to.

You may only invade an enemy controlled coastal hex that has at least 1 all-sea hexside (at least part, but not necessarily all, of this coastal hexside must touch upon the sea area where the TRS is located). You can only invade with face-up land units on TRSs in the sea area. The TRS must be in the 1, 2, 3 or 4 section of the sea-box. Only infantry class units can invade.
22.4.12 Amphibious units (option 26)
Amphibious units (AMPH) form a new force pool. They count against ship gearing limits.
AMPHs are much like TRS units. If you are not playing with the amphibious option, you treat them as more expensive TRS.

If you are playing with the amphibious option, you can’t transport HQ-A, ARM, MECH, aircraft, or artillery units on AMPHs.

MAR and divisions can still invade from TRS units (or SCS if using option 25 ~ see 11.4.5) but other land units can only invade from AMPHs.

TRS units at sea can now only embark a land unit from a coastal hex (see 11.4.5) if that hex is a port or contains an HQ (this means a face-up HQ can always be embarked). MAR units, infantry class divisions, and units embarking on AMPHs, are not subject to this restriction.

You can no longer debark a land unit from a TRS at sea into a friendly coastal hex (see 11.13) unless the hex is a port or contains an HQ (a face-up HQ can always debark). MAR units, infantry class divisions and units debarking from AMPHs, are not subject to this restriction.

Treat an AMPH as a TRS for all other purposes.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Came up when someone wanted to transport a CAV port to port on an AMPH. No invasion involved.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Came up when someone wanted to transport a CAV port to port on an AMPH. No invasion involved.

I was answering to this comment [;)]:
Correction: Per RAW7 Motorized units can be carried by and invade from an Amphib.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Motorized ARE infantry class. Check the Units Costs and Characteristucs chart.
Paul

Return to “WIF School”