harpoon 97 will not run

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
kisshu

harpoon 97 will not run

Post by kisshu »

I cant get harpoon 97 to run from harpoon 20 years menu or from the directory i get the game window with all the menu buttons but the screen is grey and there is a message box that says
MCI error cannot find specified file. also when exiting the game and closing the game window
i can not exit from the launch game component box - the one with Harpoon-GE-Game Engine. i need to kill the task the after unsuccessfully launching game engine winharp32.

system is vista
anyone get this to launch?
TonyE

RE: harpoon 97 will not run

Post by TonyE »

This is probably a system-specific issue. Does the machine have a sound card of some sort (built into the motherboard or otherwise)? I'll suggest the alternative of running HC2002, essentially a vastly improved Harpoon 97. HCE and newer add a lot of functionality beyond that but HC2002 modifies the game mechanics less than the more recent versions.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
kisshu

Post by kisshu »

No nothing was unusual with my system; the clue is mci error -file cannot be found check path and name. So this is the splash screen animation I checked it against a working copy of harp 97 and I think harpoon ultimate decompresses this file Imagic and writes it as a .bak file so i would think it is stored on the dvd as a .bak file can you think why else it would be written as a .bak file? everytime i reinstall the game it appears as .bak
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Systems without a functioning MCI 'subsystem' (most Vista and newer systems) would get stuck where the video should play so I disabled the video file by inserting the .bak. If you haven't, it might be worth trying renaming it to Imagic.avi (remove the .bak) since it seems you may have the ability to play it.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
kisshu

Post by kisshu »

but wouldn't it hang without a functioning mci system? how do you skip over it if the program is trying to load it?
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Renaming of the video file to something other than Imagic.avi is how we skip over it. Something on your system is precluding that from happening. I fired up my Vista 32-bit VM tonight to give it a try and had no issues starting HC97 with Imagic.bak.avi.

Why don't you want to use HC2002 instead of HC97? (again, curiousity)

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
kisshu

Post by kisshu »

but wouldn't it still try to look for it? Anyway i tried renaming it i don't know im getting some strange things happening if i name it just imagic it works but no battlsets come up and when i close the box the entire program exits and not sure if this matters but my computer is assigning a file association with an orange cone to imagic of vlc media player file (.avi)don't think that matters.; and now when i try to run from my old harpoon 97 directory it looks in huce\hc20\wh00163d for battlesets and it should be looking in its own directory.
i guess cause i installed huce so many times to two locations and then uninstalled once; so now my original harppoon97 directory is confused with the registry values left on the computer or something.
Ha!
I will definitely check out hc2002 when i get things running for 97 again. It looks like its an outstanding program and one of the reasons i bought huce was for the bundle. great value compilation!

Return to “Tech Support”