Scenarios available for WitP AE

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Admiral DadMan

RE: Scenarios available for WitP AE

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

LST: I REALLY like what you have done with your scenario premise. If it weren't for having to move about 1,000,000 items from one database to another I just might try it with one of my Mods. Could not imagine re-doing RA or BTS entirely onto a clean database. THAT would suck.

Stupid Question: Is it possible to move an entire database and import it in? Had JWE help me once there but don't know how to do it myself.

Will add my Mods descriptions when the boys are off to school this morning.
Have you tried using the witploadae.exe program? It dumps the db files into .csv for easier manipulation. HUGE time saver.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Yes, witploadae.exe can help, but since so many values are interconnected but on different panels, it is difficult to move items. Want to move a ship from one slot to another? Don't forget to update the slot number of the ship in the leader panel and possibly in the TF panel as well... [X(]
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Yes, witploadae.exe can help, but since so many values are interconnected but on different panels, it is difficult to move items. Want to move a ship from one slot to another? Don't forget to update the slot number of the ship in the leader panel and possibly in the TF panel as well... [X(]
You are not just whistling Dixie, brother.[X(]
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Can this be explained--clearly--to a Technical Idiot?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

@Admiral DadMan:
I'm not a native speaker and not familiar with that expression - what does it mean?

@John:
The witploadae tool allows to dump the scenario files into a collection of .csv files which can be opened with Excel for example, and to compile the .csv files back into scenario file format.

There is a .csv file for locations, one for ship classes etc. - like the panels in the editor. You can copy&paste huge amount of data between two scenario "dumps" easily. However, since data is "interconnected" there are some traps. For example, if you copy ship files from scen A to scen B, each ship with an assigned captain will have a slot number pointing to the assigned captain in the leader file - so you must copy&paste that leader slot in the leader files from scen A to scen B as well, otherwise the leader will not exist and the assigned captain of the ship will not show up in the game. Similar, a ship in scen A might be assigned to a TF, so you will have to copy the slot of that TF from the TF file of scen A to the TF file of scen B as well. Things get nasty when slots in the destination file are already being used by your own mod work - then the juggling of slots and assignments begins...

The tool is also useful to change values for multiple units easily. For example, setting the small amounts of sys and engine damage the ships start with in my mod - since it is really unrealistic that all ships started the war in pristine condition - with the editor would have required to access each single ship individually to enter the values. With witploadae, I just selected the columns representing sys and engine damage in the ship file of the .csv dump and used the random number generator of Excel. Three seconds in the .csv dump what would have taken bloody ages with the editor.

Finally, the .csv files give access to certain attributes NOT available in the editor. For example the movement stance of LCUs. You can give move orders and destinations to ground units in the editor, but they will move in combat mode by default. In the location file of the .csv dump there is a column which will allow to change the movement stance to strategic, reserve etc. Other "hidden" values concern AA and DP guns and are being used in DBB to enhance the flak.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

LST: "not talking nonsense. (Alludes to a song titled "Dixie.") Man, you are right! You're not just whistling Dixie. When you say she is wrong, you're not just...."

not just whistling Dixie

verb phrase

To be saying something important or useful : When they warned us about this they weren't just whistling Dixie

ALL:

Btw, scen in the works: Silver "scarce" - read about it in the scen thread. It is a simply one, nothing required, just for unzipping and playing. Also no starships etc added...It seems we also had a good soul providing a link to updated AI for scen2 (which is the basis for silver), so I can start playing it shortly and then provide the download for others who might like more reduced stuff but some new planes are also there, but some are rarely used or "useless" older ones are gone, also some IJ engines gone etc. (less "clutter")
You can provide ideas too: tm.asp?m=4272943
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Drw61, could you add scenario numbers in your first post? For example, Andy's New scenario 1 is listed the game's scenario selection screen as scenario 33. Would be easier to visualise scenario name-scenario number correspondence.
drw61

Post by drw61 »

Sounds good, will work on it as time allows
Daryl
ORIGINAL: Yaab

Drw61, could you add scenario numbers in your first post? For example, Andy's New scenario 1 is listed the game's scenario selection screen as scenario 33. Would be easier to visualise scenario name-scenario number correspondence.
drw61

Post by drw61 »

Added the scenario numbers.

If there are two scenarios that you want that have the same number just open one of them with the editor and save it to a new scenario number.

If you are playing against the AI you will need to copy the AI files to match the new scenario number. Example: to copy scenario 2 to 100 you would make a copy of aei002-01.dat and then rename it aei100-01.dat . Do this for each of the aeiXXX-XX.dat files.

Hope this helps
drw61

Post by drw61 »

Added
Project "Silver" by Alpha77
and
MAPGEN (A WITP:AE Map Dumper/Repacker) by RyanCrierie

Thanks all
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: drw61

Added the scenario numbers.

If there are two scenarios that you want that have the same number just open one of them with the editor and save it to a new scenario number.

If you are playing against the AI you will need to copy the AI files to match the new scenario number. Example: to copy scenario 2 to 100 you would make a copy of aei002-01.dat and then rename it aei100-01.dat . Do this for each of the aeiXXX-XX.dat files.

Hope this helps

Very commendable, very commendable [;)]
drw61

Post by drw61 »

Added Project: Atheory for Everything #40 by GrauWolf80

Thanks Daryl
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Hi drw61,

I would like to mention my own scenario to this great list, Silver Wings, an alternate history mod where the Pacifc war starts in in 1949;

Best wishes,

Vipersp
drw61

Post by drw61 »

ORIGINAL: Vipersp

Hi drw61,

I would like to mention my own scenario to this great list, Silver Wings, an alternate history mod where the Pacifc war starts in in 1949;

Best wishes,

Vipersp

Added, this looks like a very interesting
"The mod covers the period from 1949 to 1956 with reworked air, ground and naval forces to reflect the period"

Thanks for doing this
Daryl
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

@Admiral DadMan:
I'm not a native speaker and not familiar with that expression - what does it mean?

@John:
The witploadae tool allows to dump the scenario files into a collection of .csv files which can be opened with Excel for example, and to compile the .csv files back into scenario file format.

There is a .csv file for locations, one for ship classes etc. - like the panels in the editor. You can copy&paste huge amount of data between two scenario "dumps" easily. However, since data is "interconnected" there are some traps. For example, if you copy ship files from scen A to scen B, each ship with an assigned captain will have a slot number pointing to the assigned captain in the leader file - so you must copy&paste that leader slot in the leader files from scen A to scen B as well, otherwise the leader will not exist and the assigned captain of the ship will not show up in the game. Similar, a ship in scen A might be assigned to a TF, so you will have to copy the slot of that TF from the TF file of scen A to the TF file of scen B as well. Things get nasty when slots in the destination file are already being used by your own mod work - then the juggling of slots and assignments begins...

The tool is also useful to change values for multiple units easily. For example, setting the small amounts of sys and engine damage the ships start with in my mod - since it is really unrealistic that all ships started the war in pristine condition - with the editor would have required to access each single ship individually to enter the values. With witploadae, I just selected the columns representing sys and engine damage in the ship file of the .csv dump and used the random number generator of Excel. Three seconds in the .csv dump what would have taken bloody ages with the editor.

Finally, the .csv files give access to certain attributes NOT available in the editor. For example the movement stance of LCUs. You can give move orders and destinations to ground units in the editor, but they will move in combat mode by default. In the location file of the .csv dump there is a column which will allow to change the movement stance to strategic, reserve etc. Other "hidden" values concern AA and DP guns and are being used in DBB to enhance the flak.
I PM'd John 3rd about this, but would there be interest in a newer UI for scenario editing? One that added all those columns that are not in the current editor and do things like

- open two scenarios and transfer an aircraft from one to the other by click and drag, or
- that allowed duplication of aircraft, ships, etc. with Ctrl-C (Cut) and Ctrl-V (Paste) type functionality
- automatically checked for missing bitmaps, repeated names, device mismatches between units and TOE's, unused or orphaned devices/aircraft, etc.
- that allowed you to drill down by class, ship, hex, etc.
- that allowed cooperative editing (two players modding same scenario from different continents)
- that acted as a repository of mods/versions
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

That would be FANTASTIC!

Got your note and am responding here.

The tool would have to be user friendly for computer idiots like me...

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Just to be clear. By building a database, I meant a complete--in one scenario--set of all changes made for Treaty, RA, BTS, and BTSL.

DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Holy Cow Batman. Yes, I would be interested. I want in on this.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Yeah, a new editor UI that was a bit more user friendly would be awesome.
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
btd64

Post by btd64 »

If you could transfer air art, that would be great....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester