guard airbases

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

sillyflower

guard airbases

Post by sillyflower »

Do they have any advantage over ordinary ones? Can't find anything in the updated manual.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Telemecus

RE: guard airbases

Post by Telemecus »

There was another thread slightly earlier which had a similar question which can be referenced

tm.asp?m=4256822

Basically, AFAIK, it only matters to morale. And the only times when morale of an airbase could be important are for movement points. There may be times when you need an airbase to go forward with an armoured breakthrough say. And then you need the movement points. Most of the time I guess it is one of the least important guards promotions.

I do not believe it impacts the airgroups (e.g. their morale, chances to go on a mission etc.) or even indirectly (e.g. supplies on airbase).
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

But I've never had an airbase with less than 50MPs at the start of every turn.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Then you certainly do not need it!

I have quite often had bases with low MPs. I do not know if it is playstyle, that most of my play was on older versions or some other difference. Rarely has it been important. I guess we can say guards airbases range between mattering very little and not at all?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I started playing Wite the day it came out, and (almost) every day since then but I don't think I ever had your problem. They obviously have their MPs reduced when missions are flown from them, but only then.

Maybe only Morvael and Denniss know if there is any point to them these days.
web exchange

56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

I asked about the importance of airbase morale in a thread before Xmas, but didnt get one reply, not even a sausage....[:'(]
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
No idea

Post by No idea »

So a guard airbase is useless (or as useful as a normal one) but they take guard units limit number? IF that is how it is It seems that needs to be looked upon.
morvael

Post by morvael »

No, they do not take guard units limit number.
They should have less wear & tear, and their AA should be better (all thanks to higher morale and experience). But that's about all (plus a sense of pride & nice counter).
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Thanks Morvael. I knew you would know
web exchange

Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Just rereading this post I think there was a misunderstanding. Morale increases the movement in terms of number of hexes rather than movement points per se. So even with 50MPs a higher morale base can still move more hexes. However I think the conclusion that it does not matter very much still holds.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”