All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

loki100

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well good luck to Partick Thistle - but with regard to Tottenham, I think it is quite simple. We have to play Arsenal and Manchester United + a recovering Crystal Palace and not least, that perenial bogey team for us West Ham United.

So I think that even in the spectacularly unlikely event that Chelsea collapse (have you seen the dross they play in 5 of their last 6 games?) then we still wouldn't be able to bridge the gap.

I think a Europa League spot for us is secure though.......and maybe even scrape a Champions League place....possibly.

I can't actually get used to the idea that (a) it will take a momumental collapse for Spurs not to make the CL and (b) even then we will finish above Arsenal ... these things seem wrong.

One of the delights of Partrick is its a genuinely friendly ground, fully open on one side (if you stand on the canal bank you get a first class view of the game) and its the only Glasgow club that has no sectarian aspect to its support.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: loki100

think that for both Sheffield clubs its a horrible reminder of the damage a particular type of owner can do. The bunch of cowboys who leeched Utd for cash and of course *Sir* Dave who wrecked Wednesday on his way to greater things at the FA.

Certainly agree about the damage done to both Sheffield clubs through mismanagement. But the Sheffield footballing malaise has been going on for a very long time now...

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

The National League Highlights Show Match Day 43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RITJmTwkvA

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well good luck to Partick Thistle - but with regard to Tottenham, I think it is quite simple. We have to play Arsenal and Manchester United + a recovering Crystal Palace and not least, that perenial bogey team for us West Ham United.

So I think that even in the spectacularly unlikely event that Chelsea collapse (have you seen the dross they play in 5 of their last 6 games?) then we still wouldn't be able to bridge the gap.

I think a Europa League spot for us is secure though.......and maybe even scrape a Champions League place....possibly.

I can't actually get used to the idea that (a) it will take a momumental collapse for Spurs not to make the CL and (b) even then we will finish above Arsenal ... these things seem wrong.
warspite1

LOL. I understand. As humans we need our anchor points, our certainties, our rocks on which we can rely as life throws up its myriad variables on a daily basis. Arsenal finishing above us and in the top 4, while Spurs are well.... Spursy, are two of those anchors.

Mind you, as much as I may wish for a Chelsea collapse, I didn't want Chelsea to lose yesterday. Now all of a sudden we are favourites for the FA Cup semi-final! Harry Kane is apparently giving it the large about us beating them in the Semi-Final and this will lead to Chelsea mucking up their run-in....[:@]

Can we all just calm down please? Chelsea will beat us next week - and quite comfortably - as the Spursy team that took to the field in October and November will turn up at Wembley, and then Crystal Palace will take a point off us, Manchester United will beat us - as will West Ham and Arsenal - and we then have the usual nervy, will they-won't they get a Champions League spot end to the season.

#predictableandspursy
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

think that for both Sheffield clubs its a horrible reminder of the damage a particular type of owner can do. The bunch of cowboys who leeched Utd for cash and of course *Sir* Dave who wrecked Wednesday on his way to greater things at the FA.

Certainly agree about the damage done to both Sheffield clubs through mismanagement. But the Sheffield footballing malaise has been going on for a very long time now...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Indeed - Apart from a League Cup, the city have won nothing since the war [:(]

loki100

Post by loki100 »

warspite1

LOL. I understand. As humans we need our anchor points, our certainties, our rocks on which we can rely as life throws up its myriad variables on a daily basis. Arsenal finishing above us and in the top 4, while Spurs are well.... Spursy, are two of those anchors.

Mind you, as much as I may wish for a Chelsea collapse, I didn't want Chelsea to lose yesterday. Now all of a sudden we are favourites for the FA Cup semi-final! Harry Kane is apparently giving it the large about us beating them in the Semi-Final and this will lead to Chelsea mucking up their run-in....[:@]

Can we all just calm down please? Chelsea will beat us next week - and quite comfortably - as the Spursy team that took to the field in October and November will turn up at Wembley, and then Crystal Palace will take a point off us, Manchester United will beat us - as will West Ham and Arsenal - and we then have the usual nervy, will they-won't they get a Champions League spot end to the season.

#predictableandspursy

yep, that is more or less my expectation too. Add on feeling downright *ugh* about actually wanting a classic Mourinho 'lets not play football today' tactic actually suceed ... its all gone so very wrong [;)]

oh - and apparently 'Brendan' was really a genius all along [8D]
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Indeed - Apart from a League Cup, the city have won nothing since the war [:(]

fair pts, you could argue that in general Yorkshire teams have collectively under-performed in the post-war era. Leeds (horribly) in the early 70s being the only real exception.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Every Premier League Fan In 90 Seconds Week 35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcWgbzyxyHM

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Every Premier League Fan In 90 Seconds Week 35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcWgbzyxyHM

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

It would be good if he could get a few more characters in play - love Hull City, Bournemouth and West Ham [:)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well that was a decent day - with the exception of Exeter City [8|]

Brighton, Plymouth and Portsmouth all promoted [:)] - Fulham creep into the play-off places (and not at the expense of Sheffield Wednesday) - Orient and Torquay (sorry Shunwick) give themselves chances to escape.

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Bum....

Best wishes,
Steve
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Yes, I haven't read everything.

Let me see if I well understood: Conte created an unstoppable machine. With the team, players Mourinho had (total shambles).
Mourinho 2 - 0 Conte
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Who cares about football anyway? Its such a dumb game.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

Do I detect things not going well on the AIK front old boy?

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Do I detect things not going well on the AIK front old boy?
Indeed. Things could of course be worse but at the moment I find it hard to believe. [:(]

[:(]
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Terry finished in Chelsea after this season [X(]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Mourinho 2 - 0 Conte

More like

Mourinho 5th place - Top of the league Conte

He better wins the UEFA Europa League (= Champions League via a service door).
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Vanarama National League Highlights Show | Matchday 44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpa6ubL_mE

Best wishes,
Steve
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Harry Redknap brought in to save Birmingham from relegation [X(]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Harry Redknap brought in to save Birmingham from relegation [X(]
warspite1

Apparently he won't get paid if they go down but gets a bonus if he keeps them up.

Given that Rotherham are down and Wigan as good as gone, he needs to stay
3 points ahead of Blackburn (and 2 ahead of Nottingham Forest) to stay up. I think that should be relatively straightforward with 3 games to go.

Return to “General Discussion”