Russian Blizzard Offensive

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

56ajax

Russian Blizzard Offensive

Post by 56ajax »

During the Blizzard is there any special combination of Soviet ground units that are more successful in causing Axis casualties?

Or is it just high morale, experience and CV?

How do you destroy German tanks?

Thx
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Hermann

RE: Russian Blizzard Offensive

Post by Hermann »

attaching ski units helps the most important are the 4 shock army headquarters due to ther morale boost and the infantry brigades. Cavalry corps are absolutely essential and the airborne brigades combine to form gaurds divisions I usuall keep 6 and convwert the rest and use the headquarters as gaurds rifle corps. it all depends on your manpower siyuation December 4th. if its under 4 million don't bother attacking - 4 to 5 million use the inf brigades to keep your offensive units at full strength and only attack in small areas convert the airbore unts. 5 to 6 million go nutz
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Is this still true?

(v1.05.59)
Shock Armies and Guards Armies no longer provide a morale bonus to units that report to them (instead
they provide a bonus of +1 to their leader's admin rating).
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

hmmm dunno that surprise to me
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

ORIGINAL: Hermann

hmmm dunno that surprise to me

You are right, it is only the +1 to admin rolls, which results in better movement points for the units with Shock armys and you could attach more the that armies.
Hermann missed the changes from the patches.

It is all about cavalery corps (ideal with guard), because you could bring up to 6 cv for one cavalery corps (with sappers to raise fortifications or with ski units to bring more cv into play). I prefer sappers, because you could form them early and so they will have more experience.

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I never buy ski units. Yes, they punch above their weight in blizzard, but I prefer to spend my APs on units which are more powerful in the first place and retain their usefulness all year round.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
No idea

Post by No idea »

In 1941 your best unit is a cavalry corps. Use 3 cavalry divisions to form it. It has decent movement and some punch. Even better if you use two guard cavalry division and one normal, as you will get a guards cavalry corps. Dont hope to do pockets like the german ones, but if our enemy doesnt retreat use your infantry to make a hole and throw your cavalry corps. With some luck you will trap a cople of axis units.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”