Novice: help with mods

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Phoenix100

Novice: help with mods

Post by Phoenix100 »

Hey. I'm trying to have another go at getting into this extremely daunting game and I need help with which mod to use. I would like to play as Allies v the AI and I would like things to be as historical as possible. I've read in here that you must play with a mod to get the AI to work well. But which mod and which scenario? There are a bewildering number of Andy Mac Ironman scenarios, for example, but which should I use to get good AI, me playing Allies, but more or less historical, the full campaign? Or is one of the shorter mod scenarios better? Can anyone help? Many thanks!
Yaab

RE: Novice: help with mods

Post by Yaab »

For historical, that would be probably the RHS Level I and II mods, but the sheer amount of detail there is more mind-bending than all Andrew Jackson Jihad records combined. I would go with DaBigBabes-C scenario 28 as an alternative. It is historical and builds upon stock scenario 1. Can't go wrong with that.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Hey. I'm trying to have another go at getting into this extremely daunting game and I need help with which mod to use. I would like to play as Allies v the AI and I would like things to be as historical as possible. I've read in here that you must play with a mod to get the AI to work well. But which mod and which scenario? There are a bewildering number of Andy Mac Ironman scenarios, for example, but which should I use to get good AI, me playing Allies, but more or less historical, the full campaign? Or is one of the shorter mod scenarios better? Can anyone help? Many thanks!

If you've never played the game before, or never gotten into a grand campaign, I'd just play stock. You have a lot to learn.
The Moose
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Echo the Moose!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Did you already played some small stock scenarios?
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I have already played, yes, some years ago. In fact, this will be my third attempt. I will remember things a bit quicker this time, perhaps. The AI problens in stock have put me off in the past, as i mostly will want to play the AI. That's why I asked for the recommendation. Thanks for the help. I'll check out the recommended scenario. But the Ironman scenarios are not recommended by anyone, then?
woods

Post by woods »

Ironman scenarios are challenging ones. Uber AI means uber air attacks and mega KB task forces. Can't go wrong with that. Try Scn 102.
Art by Rougeusmc
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I'd recommend BabesLite A. I am currently playing it as Allied vs. IJ AI.

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/

BabesLite is a set of two basic scenarios: Scen026 - Dec. 7 start, and Scen 027 - Dec. 8 start. BabesLite Scen026 and Scen027 are completely equivalent to stock scenarios 001 and 006.
BabesLite also has two Quiet China scenarios: Scen036 - Dec. 7 start, and Scen 037 - Dec. 8 start. BabesLite Scen036 and Scen037 are completely equivalent to stock scenarios 007 and 009.

BabesLite has more ships and classes than the corresponding stock scenarios. It also has substantially modified device files that provide a different, and perhaps more realistic, 'feel' to naval combat, naval bombardment, AAA combat, ASW combat, etc.. The device files contain the same Devices in the same slot locations, but substantial modifications were made to the Range, Accuracy, Penetration, Effect, Ceiling, Anti-Armor, Anti-Soft, and Load Cost parameter fields. Ship Classes, and corresponding Ships, have had their ASW weapon suites modified; the number of ASW weapons, their arrangement, and the amount of Ammo per weapon, have been adjusted to work in tandem with specific changes to ASW weapon Devices.

BabesLite also makes use of several 'special' data fields, found in the latest version of WitploadAE.exe, but which are not exposed in the AE Editor. These 'special' data fields allow for more flexible descriptions of device data for AAA and ASW combat and allows for AA and Dual Purpose guns to have separate device specs for Surface and AA combat. BabesLite has been used as a development and testing model for several enhancements that have found their way into the official stock scenarios, but there are many more enhancements and modifications in BabesLite that will bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses.

Besides normal and QuietChina scenarios, BabesLite comes in two flavors;

BabesLite_A – These are the standard BabesLite scenario files: they use the stock map art, and all of the stock pwhexe, pwzlink, pwzone map data files that come with the game;

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I'd recommend BabesLite A. I am currently playing it as Allied vs. IJ AI.

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/

BabesLite_A – These are the standard BabesLite scenario files: they use the stock map art, and all of the stock pwhexe, pwzlink, pwzone map data files that come with the game;[/i]

Thinking of playing BabesLite A.

Does the AI make use of the new more ships and classes?

And equally playable as both Allies and Japan? From the website it appears so.

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I would second that question. And add - which of these mods, these many amazing mods, improves Japanese AI performance most, whilst still being historical? I mean improves the AI within the rough limits of the kit and forces historically available.

Cheers,

Peter
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I would second that question. And add - which of these mods, these many amazing mods, improves Japanese AI performance most, whilst still being historical? I mean improves the AI within the rough limits of the kit and forces historically available.

Cheers,

Peter
BabesLite A

BabesLite will work with any AI files that work in stock.
Update the AI files from here tm.asp?m=3198064

Make a backup of the SCN folder. then rename dat file to match BabesLite.

In order:

Download, install BabesLite A into Scn folder
Download Scen 1 from AI update

rename AI files to match BabesLite A files (001 to 026)

example: aei001-08.dat rename to aei026-08.dat

then move Updated AI files to SCN and overwrite the exiting aei026.dat files.

?!!!

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Just did turn 1 as Allies, with BabesLite A and Scen 1 from AI update.

With FOW off I can see exactly which airbase a enemy mission is flown from. Don't know it that is from BabesLite A or from AI. More enemy presence is shown on map, yet at low DL.

On the AI update page there is some unclearness as to if Scenario 1 works... though it may be referring to extended map

gmtello

Post by gmtello »

which scenario Is bigger than guadalcanal and smaller from a gc? I would like to play something intermediate and gc Is yet too big for me
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: gmtello

which scenario Is bigger than guadalcanal and smaller from a gc? I would like to play something intermediate and gc Is yet too big for me
The Marianas invasion scenario is a really good one if you want a challenge. You get to use your carriers and need to do lots of ASW. The challenge is to get all the troops moved for the three invasions within the short timeline - you do not have enough ships to do it all in one go from PH. And LSTs are sooooooo slooooooow!

If you do that one, play close attention to the distribution of aircraft and air support and supply in the Marshall and Gilberts area - lots of shuffling is needed.
Also pay attention to commanders of air groups and their training level.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”