CRUISERS

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

AEMIL

CRUISERS

Post by AEMIL »

I have a question about the difference in three Cruiser class units. We have Battle Cruisers, Heavy cruisers and light cruisers. What is the purpose of these three types of ships, I mean in this game.What roles are best suited for each type.
vonik

RE: CRUISERS

Post by vonik »

Battle cruisers are weak BB . Used against surface vessels, ideally destroyers or ligh cruisers .
Heavy cruisers are cannon fodder . Too weak against capital ships and useless against subs .
Light cruisers are auxiliaries to DD for anti sub war . They can attack DDs when necessary and be there to close the trap when the DDs found the subs .
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

Cruisers like the Gneis-Scharn-Graf Spee came with some big guns. Though some British ones came with smaller guns do to Treaty/Design there is big differences. Vonik pointed things out well C:

Some Cruisers are so well armored they're like mini-battleships. Others are faster.. Versatility is what a cruiser is I think and sometimes I hear ways to get around your Government or many Governments ability to restrict you. As with all ship names. A Heavy Cruiser isn't spending on a Battleship? I know the US did this I believe on the Indianapolis? On and on and on and even today they do it, Dutch Navy did it on their Frigates/Destroyers?

In the end, guns, tonnage, speed, etc... classify a ship as it really is
ORIGINAL: AEMIL

I have a question about the difference in three Cruiser class units. We have Battle Cruisers, Heavy cruisers and light cruisers. What is the purpose of these three types of ships, I mean in this game.What roles are best suited for each type.
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

ORIGINAL: battlevonwar

Cruisers like the Gneis-Scharn-Graf Spee came with some big guns. Though some British ones came with smaller guns do to Treaty/Design there is big differences. Vonik pointed things out well C:

Some Cruisers are so well armored they're like mini-battleships. Others are faster.. Versatility is what a cruiser is I think and sometimes I hear ways to get around your Government or many Governments ability to restrict you. As with all ship names. A Heavy Cruiser isn't spending on a Battleship? I know the US did this I believe on the Indianapolis? On and on and on and even today they do it, Dutch Navy did it on their Frigates/Destroyers?

In the end, guns, tonnage, speed, etc... classify a ship as it really is
ORIGINAL: AEMIL

Gneisenau and Scharnhorst were Battleships which never got the intended cannons. I guess you mixed them up iwth the CAs Deutschland & Admiral Scheer.
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

Yes, you're right
PrinceMiskin

Post by PrinceMiskin »

Regarding the use of heavy cruisers, you shouldn't use them to bombard cities, or as anti-submarine. Their job is to kill weakened ships.

They cost less 30% MPPs than BBs, but they can easily kill weakened BBs, carriers or other surface ships. So here is what they are good at. Enemy BB is alive with 1-3 HPs, do you want to commit the expensive BB for the kill or the CA and make a better use of the BB?

I don't mind having them. :-)

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”